Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME BILL CALLAHAN AS OFFENSIVE LINE COACH

TK

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

January 15, 2015

REDSKINS NAME BILL CALLAHAN AS OFFENSIVE LINE COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Bill Callahan as Offensive Line Coach.

Callahan is entering his 17th NFL season, including capturing the 2002 AFC Championship as head coach of the Oakland Raiders. He has been a member of an offensive staff that has finished in the Top 5 in rushing or passing 10 times, including No. 1 overall in rushing twice (2000, ’09) and passing once (2002). Callahan has had 10 offensive linemen combine for 22 Pro Bowl selections during his career.

Callahan most recently served as offensive coordinator/offensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys from 2012-14 and helped guide the franchise to its first NFC East title since 2009. In 2014, the Cowboys finished second in the NFL in rushing (147.1) with running back DeMarco Murray leading the league in rushing and setting a Dallas franchise record with 1,845 yards. Callahan had two offensive linemen named to The Associated Press 2014 All-Pro team (Tyron Smith, Zach Martin).

Callahan, 58, served as assistant head coach/offensive line coach of the New York Jets from 2008-11. During his tenure with the Jets, the offense ranked second in the NFL in rushing yards per game (137.9) and appeared in two consecutive AFC Championship games (2009-10).

Prior to his tenure in New York, Callahan served as head coach for Nebraska from 2003-06, leading the Cornhuskers to the Big 12 Conference Championship game in 2006 and two bowl invitations in his four seasons.

Callahan served as head coach of the Raiders from 2001-02. In 2002, Oakland’s offense led the NFL in passing yards (4,689) and set a team record for total offense (6,237).

Callahan and his wife, Valerie, have four children: daughters Cathryn and Jaclyn, sons, Brian and Daniel.

If we're keeping Jay it's a good start.  QB coach and an upgrade at WR and possibly TE coach and I'll start thinking he wants to succeed here :D

GM who likes linemen + proven OL coach and a little time = good OL.  DC will be interesting and influential but at this point moves that are needed are being made.  They will likely end before I think they should however I don't think we're done yet.  I already know I'm gonna think that while we could have done better, we still won the off season :wacko:

As a Redskin fan of a certain age I feel a good OL coach is a basic right.  Welcome Bill, make your mark on the famous Redskin OL tradition :)

Is it safe to say or assume that if Gruden, Barry, and some others get the axe next year...that Callahan is safe?

I would hate to see Callahan get lumped in with Gruden if the **** house goes up in flames.  I want him to be left to work his magic on the OL and rebuild it. 

If we draft Sherff and pick up Iupati, I would love to see:

Trent

Long/Scherff

Draft/FA

Iupati

Moses/Compton

I know Litch would be wrongfully fired but Scotty Mac has already said that he likes his meat. I don't think he'll approve of a small center. Especially with at least 1 rookie on either side of him.

I think Long needs a chance to preform and show us he's got what it takes, but if Sherff can come in and easily slide from T to G... More power to him.

Compton did OK on the line this year but nowhere near stellar. Moses held his own against Aldon Smith. ALDON FRIGGIN SMITH. These two should have open competition to see who gets the job.

If we don't pick up Iupati, then I still wouldn't mind seeing Long and Scherff as our guys. Scherff would have to be on Trents side though. He would need some help while he's tryin to learn the ropes.

This would be one of the best lines (O or D) we've had in a while now.

I'm with ya, Rex. This looked like a good get on Jay. I really don't remember if he has "good ole boys connection" to gruden/allen.

Callahan was on the Raiders staff under John Gruden, and while Allen was in the front office.

There's your connection.

Still a good hire.

Like everything about this move. Good coach, replaces a guy who failed to develop guys here for the most part in Foerster, and it seemingly came out of nowhere (no leaks, no "insiders", no speculation).

Veddy niiice.    

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if nothing else, Brown gives kudos to Callahan, sort of:)

(from Hap in BRBN)

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/new-nfl-hall-of-fame-tim-brown-rg3-callahan-redskins-hire-best-x-and-o-coach-i%E2%80%99ve-ever-been-around

New NFL HOFer on Redskins' hire: 'best X and O coach I’ve ever been around'

I would say this and I mean this sincerely, I thought Bill Callahan was the best X and O coach I’ve ever been around," Brown told ESPN980. "His ability to draw plays in the dirt on the sideline and get us out of situations and what he did with the offensive line at that time was amazing."

High praise for Callahan, at least as his role working with an offense goes. When Brown talked about Callahan dealing with all the responsibilities of a head coach, the tone changed.

I just think when it came to making big decisions he had a difficult time. He belongs as a position coach, not as a head coach. It was too big of a gig for him, but he’s a smart guy. You can’t be a coach in the NFL at that position and not be a smart guy. That’s all I’ll say about Bill Callahan.

Good thing for Redskins fans that Callahan will report to Ashburn in charge of just the offensive line. Certainly a coach of Callahan's stature and experience will have input for Jay Gruden, but as for the "big decisions" Brown talks about, it would be unexpected if those fall to Callahan.

Looking forward to following Bills work with our Oline.

It will be interesting to see how many OL starters from last season,suit up for game 1 next year.

I was thinking that also. Maybe a new coach will get some of the guys like Long, Moses (when ready) and Compton to play better. It will be interesting to see if he can develop them.

In the good old (pre salary cap) days Moses Stabby Larson Long Compton is a nice looking back up line for Bill to coach up for 2 or 3 years before seeing the field.  Might be our starting line at some point next season so a bit less time these days.  Good luck Bill :)

• 1 month later...

This was the first (and only) recent thread to come up with an O-line focus that I could add this article to:

From tweet in zoony bin:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/16272/jay-gruden-on-redskins-right-tackles-an-interesting-battle

The hope now rests with the development of one player and the health of another. Of course, that could change in next month's draft if the Washington Redskinsselect a right tackle. For now, it's either Tom Compton or Morgan Moses who will start at that position.

The Redskins, though, also point to a draft deep in offensive linemen. So that's another potential option. But they spent a third-round pick on Moses a year ago and clearly still see something they like. The question is: When do they think he'll realize that potential? If it could take a while, they could opt to draft a tackle in the upper rounds. The Redskins have made it clear they're interested in adding good players and if that means taking a tackle in the first round, then that's what they'll do.

With Compton, it's about building off nine starts this past season -- he struggled in pass protection at times. With Moses, it's about being healthy after a Lisfranc injury -- then gaining experience he didn't get a lot of last season. He played 120 snaps.

For now, it's Moses or Compton. Redskins coach Jay Gruden said he wasn't sure when Moses would be fully recovered, saying he hopes it's for the spring workouts. But they'll have a better idea when players return April 20 for offseason workouts.

"He's doing good, he's been working hard," Gruden said of Moses' rehab. "He should be ready to go."

The question is, can Moses develop quickly enough despite the injury and inexperience? Coaches last summer raved about his ability to learn quickly. That will come in handy if they tweak the blocking system at all under new line coach Bill Callahan.

They also love his size at 6-foot-6, 325 pounds.

"It won't be hard at all, as long as he comes into camp ready to go and gets a whole offseason with coach Callahan and understands what we're looking for at that position," Gruden said.

"Morgan's a smart guy. He'll pick it up quickly, what we're looking for and what coach Callahan needs him to do. He'll have the opportunity, no doubt. Tom will have a great opportunity. I'm sure we'll add a couple pieces in the draft and rookie free agents to come in and compete, too. It'll be an interesting battle.

"[Moses] has a chance to be a good, solid right tackle for us. Tom Compton did some good things. He got beat from time to time like a lot of tackles do. With another year under his belt he has a chance."

Over 1000 post in the Joe Barry threads and less than 10 in here.....man we love bad news....

Good point, though I am not sure Joe is a bad hire, what fans don't realize is how and I certainly do is what a great hire Callahan is. First he can coach OL and O, he will help Gruden, second this hurts the Cowboys and Romo. 

Good point, though I am not sure Joe is a bad hire, what fans don't realize is how and I certainly do is what a great hire Callahan is. First he can coach OL and O, he will help Gruden, second this hurts the Cowboys and romoSUCKS.

Third, your future interim head coach is on staff.

I hope he becomes the OC McVey is presumed years away from being.

I thought I heard the day we inked Callahan, that he would not have any hand in play calling. Then I think I heard that he would have a hand in shaping the playbook, and I was thrilled. If nothing else he will delve into trying to salvage the rotation of OL we have had since Trent was drafted. I am not sure we have developed a single one in a decade. Sorry, Trent doesnt count as he started in week 1, and did not need developing.

Our offensive coaching staff last year had to be the least experienced in the entire league.  This may be the best move of the offseason, getting a real GM aside.  Hopefully Callahan is tight with Gruden and Jay trusts him to help get our messy QB situation sorted out by calling plays that use both the OL and QBs to their strengths.

Archived