Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To My Fellow Fans: Don't Let the Redskins Ruin the Redskins For You

kleese

Been an FANATIC since Sonny and Billy...the 1st 3rd of my "fanship" was fantastic....Planned weekends around the skins..I remember bringing a Battery Powered television (when they WERE a novelty) to the George Washington National Forest the 1st Week of Hunting season...camping on top of the mountain and watching the Skins Destroy the RAMS on Monday night Football till 1AM knowing I had to get up at 5 to hunt. My deceased Father -in Law and I would TOGETHER watch the skins...Before he died in 2006 I couldn't watch with him because he SOURED on them so much..he'd MOCK em while we watched..So *I* stopped going over there and we drifted apart.

I'm sorry to say that I DVR Games and only watch if I know the outcome...If I am watching..I switch channels on Field Goals and Kickoffs while they' re happening so I don't SEE the result real time....Loosing USED to effect me ALL WEEK...sick to my stomach..but I'd look forward to the redemption that would come....

Honestly, I am NOT "Wasting" a Sunday anymore..I motorcycle ride, surf fish, boat at Mid day..they skins are secondary and I don't care that much anymore..I WON'T switch teams (I live in Fla now)..I'll just drop NFL from my DVR list.

I feel a FOOL for being SO MUCH A FANATIC for sooo long. I let this obsession interfere with FAMILY and LIFE and am FINALLY putting things in perspective...*My* Skins are gone...I'm moving on....I WON'T EVER get that emotionally involved again..AS GOOD AS IT FELT>>AND GOD>. The 80's thru the early 90's ..some of my BEST memories...THAT kept we watching after Petibone, Norv, , Marty, Spurrier (God..that was bad), Zorn and THEN Shanny..(I think Shanny will be proven RIGHT..THAT MESS killed it for me) with a SLIGHT interest this season with Gruden...I DO BLAME SNYDER for trying to BOND with KEY PLAYERS and letting Those PLAYERS usurp authority (along with their family members) and I'm not talking JUST RG3..Portis..Haynesworth...VINNY..

Gibbs used to call his players TRUE REDSKINS and REDSKIN CHARACTER..That PRIDE is no more.

SNYDER IS TO BLAME 100% just as JERRY is to Blame foe the Boys...they still play fantasy football.

Signed a stupid RABID fan since George Allen 1972...Dancing Bear..The Hangman, Big Wiskey, Sonny, Pat Fisher...RIP all the TRUE Redskins I LOVED

Myopic, misinformed, and flat out wrong. The only reason Snyder still has defenders, which is what you are doing despite claiming not to

I could give you the answers but I feel like that would be cheap and you wouldn't learn anything. It's been well documented so I think it would be a good homework assignment for you. I find people learn a bit more when there is work involved.

I'll give you a hint. The bolded part is important

I'm not on the inside so I don't know if Snyder was overriding Gibbs or Shanny or Bruce. I am making an assumption based on the glowing way Gibbs speaks about Snyder that Gibbs was in fact "in control" during his tenure here. If you are telling me that Gibbs did not want Brunell or JC and instead it was a mandate from Snyder, then that is news to me and I will stand corrected. I have no doubt DS likes to be in the room and feel like he's a part of the process, but I am also assuming that he didn't force Shanny to take Trent Williams with the 4th pick in the draft against his wishes.

Been an FANATIC since Sonny and Billy...the 1st 3rd of my "fanship" was fantastic....Planned weekends around the skins..I remember bringing a Battery Powered television (when they WERE a novelty) to the George Washington National Forest the 1st Week of Hunting season...camping on top of the mountain and watching the Skins Destroy the RAMS on Monday night Football till 1AM knowing I had to get up at 5 to hunt. My deceased Father -in Law and I would TOGETHER watch the skins...Before he died in 2006 I couldn't watch with him because he SOURED on them so much..he'd MOCK em while we watched..So *I* stopped going over there and we drifted apart.

I'm sorry to say that I DVR Games and only watch if I know the outcome...If I am watching..I switch channels on Field Goals and Kickoffs while they' re happening so I don't SEE the result real time....Loosing USED to effect me ALL WEEK...sick to my stomach..but I'd look forward to the redemption that would come....

Honestly, I am NOT "Wasting" a Sunday anymore..I motorcycle ride, surf fish, boat at Mid day..they skins are secondary and I don't care that much anymore..I WON'T switch teams (I live in Fla now)..I'll just drop NFL from my DVR list.

I feel a FOOL for being SO MUCH A FANATIC for sooo long. I let this obsession interfere with FAMILY and LIFE and am FINALLY putting things in perspective...*My* Skins are gone...I'm moving on....I WON'T EVER get that emotionally involved again..AS GOOD AS IT FELT>>AND GOD>. The 80's thru the early 90's ..some of my BEST memories...THAT kept we watching after Petibone, Norv, , Marty, Spurrier (God..that was bad), Zorn and THEN Shanny..(I think Shanny will be proven RIGHT..THAT MESS killed it for me) with a SLIGHT interest this season with Gruden...I DO BLAME SNYDER for trying to BOND with KEY PLAYERS and letting Those PLAYERS usurp authority (along with their family members) and I'm not talking JUST RG3..Portis..Haynesworth...VINNY..

Gibbs used to call his players TRUE REDSKINS and REDSKIN CHARACTER..That PRIDE is no more.

SNYDER IS TO BLAME 100% just as JERRY is to Blame foe the Boys...they still play fantasy football.

Signed a stupid RABID fan since George Allen 1972...Dancing Bear..The Hangman, Big Wiskey, Sonny, Pat Fisher...RIP all the TRUE Redskins I LOVED

To me, if you felt your obsession with the Skins was affecting your life negatively in terms of time spent with family, etc then it really shouldn't matter if they are good or awful. If you feel your time invested is only worth it when they are winning then it sounds like you made a wise choice.

You guys just don't understand what it's like to be a younger fan here.

When you guys talk of a team in a proud, prideful way, I just don't get Cuz to me the Redskins are no better than the Jags, Raiders, or Browns. To me, they are just a sorry, sad franchise that ****s controversy and embarrassment. That's the Skins to me.

I can't keep letting this **** ruin my week. I honestly don't want to be a diehard anymore. It sucks lol

Between the Skins and my new obsession/curse of following Arsenal over in England, sports have been just so disappointing recently

Every year you come in excited. I buy Madden, Fifa, 2K, and NHL every season and it gets me hype for the new year and new guys...then I always end up hating the games because the teams disappoint

I don't even know where I'm going with this lol

You guys just don't understand what it's like to be a younger fan here.

When you guys talk of a team in a proud, prideful way, I just don't get Cuz to me the Redskins are no better than the Jags, Raiders, or Browns. To me, they are just a sorry, sad franchise that ****s controversy and embarrassment. That's the Skins to me.

I can't keep letting this **** ruin my week. I honestly don't want to be a diehard anymore. It sucks lol

Between the Skins and my new obsession/curse of following Arsenal over in England, sports have been just so disappointing recently

Every year you come in excited. I buy Madden, Fifa, 2K, and NHL every season and it gets me hype for the new year and new guys...then I always end up hating the games because the teams disappoint

I don't even know where I'm going with this lol

Maybe I can make you feel better: what year would you say you first really started caring/watching the skins?

Maybe I can make you feel better: what year would you say you first really started caring/watching the skins?

1999. I was 6. I thought that that would be the norm. Remember nearly every game.

My family was really down on the team after 98 (I vaguely remember games against the Chargers, Raiders, and Iggles that year lol) but I thought they were crazy

But then things got weird. I couldn't understand why they let go of brad Johnson...

This wasn't directed at me but I'd say 2004/2005 my extremeness of fanhood hit about an 80%, jumped to 100% in 2007. Been up there ever since, haven't missed a single play. So yeah, since I REALLY started caring we've been to the playoffs 3x and had a least 3 seasons that I started with high expectations only to be severely disappointed. This year would be the 4th of those let down seasons.

Things have gotten so bad after Cousins threw away our hopes and dreams that I'm starting to think this team will turn it around.  Last year you had some hold outs arguing that things weren't as bad as the media was making them out to be.  Everyone figured out that it was eventually.  This year I see chicken little threads that aren't sarcastic.  I see so many people declaring the season dead and gone and we aren't even out of September, yet no one is demanding they turn in their fan cards and become fans of the Ravens.  The homers are in hiding or in despair themselves.

What does this mean?  It means the team is going to do something to reel us all back in.  They'll beat the Seahawks or go on a three win run afterwards.  

When they've got us believing again, when we open up our hearts just enough to let a little hope sneak in, the trap door will open and we'll all go tumbling into the dark once more.  It's the belief that makes it hurt more and this team loves to hurt us.

Same stunt they have been pulling since....well since I became a fan in 1991(I was 5 and they were awesome, just the beginning of a multitude of great life decisions)

I actually got a text after the skins picked the ball off against the giants from a giants fan saying we are still in it(the fact that fans in the division text me to encourage me is sickening to me because that's how awfully we are thought of). I texted back that there is 0 chance we come back and the only reason we would keep it close is to make me watch the entire game before ripping my heart out. Thankfully, they didn't make me watch the entire game, but this is the general feeling that I have every week.

1999. I was 6. I thought that that would be the norm. Remember nearly every game.

My family was really down on the team after 98 (I vaguely remember games against the Chargers, Raiders, and Iggles that year lol) but I thought they were crazy

But then things got weird. I couldn't understand why they let go of brad Johnson...

:lol:  :lol: My God A that's a Redskins tag line for the ages. :lol:  :lol:

Hail.

To me, if you felt your obsession with the Skins was affecting your life negatively in terms of time spent with family, etc then it really shouldn't matter if they are good or awful. If you feel your time invested is only worth it when they are winning then it sounds like you made a wise choice.

You can't tell me that LOOSING doesn't effect your thought process...If you DON'T enjoy something..you DON'T do it. I USED to ENJOY the SKINS as did my Father-in-Law. It was a stable well run org. I think the Packers/Bears/Patriots...all have UPS and DOWNS but NOT a Dis-functional Org that DOOMS a Franchise.

I think 45 Years of dedication to ONE team is remarkable...given 19 YEARS of LOOSING (1995) BECAUSE of the Organization. I am an investor...in this case *I* Invested good feelings into an ORG...when an investment goes bad..you cut your losses. That's what this is about...I don't trust the Organization to change anymore

Trying to paint me as a good weather fan is WAY off the mark and a cheap shot...How long YOU been *investing* and post counts mean NOTHING..and  THANK YOU but *I* didn't ask your your opinion...just answered the OP

Enjoy the game.

Things have gotten so bad after Cousins threw away our hopes and dreams that I'm starting to think this team will turn it around. Last year you had some hold outs arguing that things weren't as bad as the media was making them out to be. Everyone figured out that it was eventually. This year I see chicken little threads that aren't sarcastic. I see so many people declaring the season dead and gone and we aren't even out of September, yet no one is demanding they turn in their fan cards and become fans of the Ravens. The homers are in hiding or in despair themselves.

What does this mean? It means the team is going to do something to reel us all back in. They'll beat the Seahawks or go on a three win run afterwards.

When they've got us believing again, when we open up our hearts just enough to let a little hope sneak in, the trap door will open and we'll all go tumbling into the dark once more. It's the belief that makes it hurt more and this team loves to hurt us.

The homers are in hiding? You do realize I am one, right? I'm not hiding anywhere. I'm on here every day telling people to calm the **** down.

Well, think of this then...

The Seahawks came into existence in 1976. From their inception through 1998, they were totally irrelevant. Sometimes they were awful (I want to say it was 91 or 92 they went 1-15 and were one of the worst teams of all time). They had draft busts, etc. they did sneak in some quality years here and there, but for that 23 year period they were pretty much garbage.

Then from 1999-2011 they got better. But not great. One SB appearance and a handful of playoff appearances. Also some double digit loss seasons mixed in. So now you are at right around 35 seasons of nothing particularly special. Then 2012... Then 2013. But it was a 23 year wait any type of stability. And then over another decade to really vault to the next level.

The Packers went from 1969-1993 of pretty much misery.

Point being it is far from unprecedented for organizations to go through horrible periods and then snap out of it.

Ask Royals fans.

The homers are in hiding? You do realize I am one, right? I'm not hiding anywhere. I'm on here every day telling people to calm the **** down.

And I think it's great that you still believe we can make a season of 2014. But, I don't understand why you need to tell people to doubt their instincts. Pressing the panic button was the correct reaction at some point during 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2013. Assuming that simply making the playoffs means that we were a success, then your mentality would have been proven correct in 1999, 2005, 2007, and 2012. In only 2 of those 4 seasons did we have any type of success once we got into the post season. 

My point is that much more often than not, when things feel like they are becoming a disaster or slipping away. For those of us who are older and did have the good fortune of watching Gibbs in his prime, even those 4 playoff years were only mildly successful. Anything can happen, sure. But it feels just like another year of typical post-Gibbs football in Washington. It's demoralizing to someone who was raised watching this team be one of the crown jewel franchises in the NFL. 

You can't tell me that LOOSING doesn't effect your thought process...If you DON'T enjoy something..you DON'T do it. I USED to ENJOY the SKINS as did my Father-in-Law. It was a stable well run org. I think the Packers/Bears/Patriots...all have UPS and DOWNS but NOT a Dis-functional Org that DOOMS a Franchise.

I think 45 Years of dedication to ONE team is remarkable...given 19 YEARS of LOOSING (1995) BECAUSE of the Organization. I am an investor...in this case *I* Invested good feelings into an ORG...when an investment goes bad..you cut your losses. That's what this is about...I don't trust the Organization to change anymore

Trying to paint me as a good weather fan is WAY off the mark and a cheap shot...How long YOU been *investing* and post counts mean NOTHING..and THANK YOU but *I* didn't ask your your opinion...just answered the OP

Enjoy the game.

Didn't mean to pain you as fair weather. Apologies if that is how it came off.

You commented that back when they were good you allowed them to dictate your life to the set detriment of other areas--- or at least that's how I took your comment. I was saying that if it is a detriment to your life, then a change should probably occur whether they are winning or losing.

I admire anyone that stays optimistic about this team. I sincerely think you are a true Redskins fan... That's awesome.

Unfortunately we all know how this will end... Just how it has season after season. Last place in the east. They may win a game or two here and there but ultimately another losing season. The skins are losers.

They can't find the formula to get it right. They may go on a run for a bit in the next year or so and make the playoffs but it won't last bc the team just isn't built to last in the modern NFL.

It's the pattern of this team. Suck it up for years, make a short run of good play and then revert again.

I love the team and always will but I know at some point for my health, I will have to give them up.

Threads about how the stadium sucks, the owner sucks, the team sucks, the NFL sucks. Threads about how people just can't and won't care as much anymore. 

And it's not even October yet! 

First of all, I've been on ES since 2001, and I've been known to produce some wild rambles. Warning: Here comes another.

I also fancy myself an armchair psychiatrist (as evidenced by the RG3 insecurity thread). So have a seat on my couch, and you can send me a PM after reading and I can give you the address of where to send the check.

I'm not being a "sucker." That would assume its about them. But it's not.

Our friends Pez and Huly have this thing figured out. You make this or break this. Not them. And part of it is suffering through the losses and embarrassments. But they get back up each week and put together what might be the best and most spirited tailgate in the league. And on a much smaller scale I try to do the same thing.

Can't wait.

I read this, this morning. I thought about posting right away and did not. 

ay **** it nobody carez.

And I think it's great that you still believe we can make a season of 2014. But, I don't understand why you need to tell people to doubt their instincts. Pressing the panic button was the correct reaction at some point during 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2013.

I wonder if ES had existed in 1994 if people would've been panicking like they seem to be after four games this season.

I know we all want the Skins to succeed, but we have a team coming off a three-win season, a rookie head coach, and an injured starting QB to boot. If there's any scenario where patience is warranted and a longer view would be helpful, this is it.

I admire anyone that stays optimistic about this team. I sincerely think you are a true Redskins fan... That's awesome.

Unfortunately we all know how this will end... Just how it has season after season. Last place in the east. They may win a game or two here and there but ultimately another losing season. The skins are losers.

They can't find the formula to get it right. They may go on a run for a bit in the next year or so and make the playoffs but it won't last bc the team just isn't built to last in the modern NFL.

It's the pattern of this team. Suck it up for years, make a short run of good play and then revert again.

I love the team and always will but I know at some point for my health, I will have to give them up.

"we all know how this will end".

BS dude!!! if "we all know how this will end", explain 2005, 2007, and 2012. teams can get hot at any minute. none of us know FOR SURE what spot the redskins will be in by the end of the season. none of us here are psychic. i dont know how many times i have to drill it in to peoples heads that NOBODY KNOWS what our record will be until we actually, physically have that record.

BS dude!!! if "we all know how this will end", explain 2005, 2007, and 2012. teams can get hot at any minute. none of us know FOR SURE what spot the redskins will be in by the end of the season. none of us here are psychic. i dont know how many times i have to drill it in to peoples heads that NOBODY KNOWS what our record will be until we actually, physically have that record.

Dude we get it. Your act is getting old. You can't expect everyone to keep your rosy outlook especially when the past 20+ years support the view of the pessimistic.

Go be a homer. That's fine. Just let everyone else live in reality

Dude we get it. Your act is getting old. You can't expect everyone to keep your rosy outlook especially when the past 20+ years support the view of the pessimistic.

Go be a homer. That's fine. Just let everyone else live in reality

my point was that nobody knows for sure 4 weeks into a season how the season will end. but screw it, if people dont want to agree to that logic, fine. im done trying to argue with people here. and its not an "act". its just me trying to let people know not to give up 4 weeks into a season. have fun abandoning ship, people...i'll be here when we win a superbowl. good riddance.

I'm not optimistic at all. But optimism is irrelevant to me. I don't watch only because they might win. I watch because the play in the first place.

It's all about winning. I don't buy the "it's how they lose" BS.

Ralph Wilson and his family are (or at least were) beloved in Buffalo. They haven't had mass drama or completely humiating seasons. Yet, we've made the playoffs THREE times since the Bills last made an appearance.

My Mom's family is from Buffalo. I know a ton of Bills fans. They are just as frustrated and humiliated as skins fans. The Bills are basically the Redskins minus 2005, 2007, and 2012.

This is only about winning.

And that's why I won't walk. Because if say "enough is enough" or "I can't take it anymore" all I'm saying is that I'm sick of losing. And the essence of being a fan is being a fan for all seasons. Even if we are in the midst of a dark, depressing, and seemingly never-ending season.

They ended with quick playoff exits and back to the doldrums the season after. Each and every time since 1992.

Archived