Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NFL Comprehensive Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Excited to watch Joey Bosa tonight for OSU. Absolute stud

He was impressive. Has a body reminiscent of J.J. Watt's at Wisconsin but he's not as instinctive and explosive IMO. He's a disruptor. With that playmaking ability and with that size and power, he looked like a definite first rounder to me.

Michael Brewer rung their bell though. The turnovers put a damper on an otherwise fantastic night. VT has a QB. The kid is fearless and was just out there playing backyard football. His playmaking instinct looks fantastic. But I don't give him much of a chance of getting drafted high and having an organization commit to him as their QB. He doesn't really have an NFL body. And you saw the arm strength get exposed on that deep out that got picked off. That route was open when he released it and that DB closed on it in a hurry and it'll only be faster in the NFL.

Ranking position group by priority:

-OL Interior OL/RT depending on Moses and Long

- Disruptive DL

-Safety

-TE

-CB

-WR

This is about where I'm at after watching the first game. I thought they thoroughly outplayed Houston but lost as a result of three killer mistakes that were not indicative of the talent of the units that made them (the two fumbles inside the 10 and the missed assignment up front that led to the punt block). Those are things that can get cleaned up without making personnel moves, so if we play Houston again, I think we beat them. Houston isn't good though--the only parts of their team that stood out as quality were the defensive front and the receivers.

I think we're mediocre. And we're not confident and clicking yet, so the on field results won't be pretty.

I think we've got very good LBs, a good QB and mix of receivers, and good enough running backs. Without Reed, the TEs aren't good. Outside Trent, the OL isn't good. Outside Amerson, the secondary isn't good. And the DL isn't very good.

The OL is the group with the most amount of replacement level players on it, and the secondary isn't too far behind. They're units where the weak link can break the chain. But a special player can bump up the performance of everyone else.

I think that we've got some young pieces in the secondary that can grow into something solid if they make it here long enough. It's tough to keep them together if the team as a whole is losing and there is all kinds of pressure to make changes. But I've always liked Rambo and Amerson and I think Bashaud Breeland can end up being pretty good. He showed me something in the preseason and yesterday. He got called for the horsecollar but that was actually an impressive tackle. Andre Johnson has dragged many a DB down the field and Breeland took him down hard. The dude is strong and he can hit. I am going to enjoy watching him to see if he develops into a good player.

Merriweather is totally unreliable. Deangelo Hall and Ryan Clark are band-aids, short term solutions useful for mentorship/leadership/and a year or two of reliable play, but not to be relied on for more than that. Robinson, Biggers, and Porter are journeymen and you can't expect too much from them either. We still need some guys. But this is a unit I think you could set up well with a good FA signing or draft pick or both because I think we've got some young playmakers that can end up being good players.

The OL needs to find solutions in the immediate future too. Moses's development is one of the most interesting things about this season to me. He has the body and the innate talent to be a difference maker on the line if he ever gets ready to actually play. Clearly he's a ways away from that point now. But with Polumbus being such an easily exploitable match up problem, swapping him out with a mauler could really change the performance of the unit as a whole. I can't wait to see if he gets into games this season.

And you're right, Spencer Long is another one to watch. As high as he was drafted, he needs to be good. Seeing Green Bay's center start as a rookie and a fifth round draft pick and acquit himself well... it's really frustrating that we're getting nothing out of Long and LeRibeus given where they were taken. Chester is so meh, I want to see Long win the starting job before the end of the year. There is no reason he shouldn't.

If Moses and Long pan out, I think one more really good guard or maybe tackle if Moses kicks inside takes this unit from subpar to outstanding. This is where I think the biggest net gain in team performance can be had. And I think it's probably the least resource intensive problem area to fix.

But like you, where I really want to see us bring in top notch personnel from outside is the DL. Hatcher is another band-aid. Cofield and Jenkins look competent but nothing special. Baker and Golston are replacement level players you're always looking to upgrade but they cling to the roster anyway. It's clearly not an impressive group. You could make it so by switching to a 4-3 and reclassifying some of our LBer talent as DLs. But if we're sticking with a 3-4, then an interior DL that is a legit elite talent and impact presence would transform the unit into something special.

Based solely on yesterday's game ... I'd say 

1st: NT/DE

2nd: FS

3rd: TE

4th: OLB

5th: ILB

6th: CB

7th: K

Certainly depends on FA, But i think you gotta get one early DL and one early SAF ... Reed's health concerns me ... maybe you bring over a cheap TE in FA to spell him and replace Paulson ... But I think the offense is pretty much set ... you drafted the OL this year in hopes that they get groomed to play at some point this year and certainly next year ... so I think you really shift back to building the defense up some more. I like the CBs for another year and really like Breeland/Amerson long-term. Could always address CB in FA though. From a pure roster compositions standpoint, I think we're pretty well off compared to year's past ... so you really could go BPA all over the draft board. I just want impact guys, especially on defense. I think the defense is making it's turnaround right now, but the more the merrier out there. 

Offense should be just fine, especially if you expect Long/Moses to eventually replace Chester/Polumbus. Skill positions are set, and the only "weakness" right now looking toward 2015 is TE ... since it's so integral to our offense, we need another guy out there to spell Reed. 

At this stage in the game, who is the top-rated NT? Is there a NT to keep our eyes on who should be around in the 10-20 pick range? That's where I expect us to end up ... and I think Cofield's replacement needs to be our #1 priority, along with a prospect at 3-4 DE. If we went NT/FS/DE with our first 3 picks, I'd be pleased 

So early to say what we need.  Should Moses and Long/Stabby pan out then we should be pretty good on the line.  I'm not ready to give up on Rambo.  The kid seems like he's doing better, but still had the one really bad play. On the other hand, Clark can't be expected to last too much longer and Merriweather is also a bit long in the tooth (plus, the NFL has it out for him) so safety feels like a good bet especially since three years in Thomas is still looking for his rookie year.  Would love Davis to work out though.

So early to say what we need.  Should Moses and Long/Stabby pan out then we should be pretty good on the line. 

Let me put it this way, whoever we have drafted and whoever we do draft for offensive line, needs to be an easy to see, no doubt, clear as a blue sky, Day-1 starter. 

The edict from Bruce or Jay, or whoever the hell has final say around here, should be to the scouts and Scott C., give me a list of Day-1 starters for offensive line.

We don't need anymore project guys who fell in stock for whatever reasons (injury, some physical limitation, raw), who are three to four year projects. We need a guy who can come in and by virtue of his own play, command the starter spot. 

It's like, when camp opens up and guys start hitting and moving around, each guy to a man turns their head and says: "who's the rook?"

You need that kind-of guy who just has the talent you can easily see and one who you simply can't afford to not have in the line-up. 

We've brought in lots of dudes, quantity, but we still seem to have the same replacement level starters like Chester who badly need to be replaced. Quality needs to be the overriding factor over quantity. 

Yeah I agree Monk. You can only carry so many projects on your OL before they just start replacing each other before they ever really pan out. But to get those kinds of Day 1 starters--realistically--you need to spend a first round pick. Or maybe you get lucky and one was there in the second. But you can't be reaching to fill a position with a draft pick. The board has to break such that a worthy offensive lineman would be there at the pick. You need to be picking at the right number in the right year.

And honestly, I'm not really crazy about the idea of spending a first rounder on an interior lineman in general. In an ideal world, a stud interior defensive lineman will just be sitting there waiting for us to pick him when it's our turn in the first round this draft. IMO no other position for our team could match the impact of adding a true difference making DL in the first round. Those kinds of players have such high positional value for the draft.

That said, if there is a beast of a guard or center that's the BPA in our tier when we pick, then I'm all for it. We'll play the hand we're dealt.

If we keep winning, it'll kind of cure some of our ills and we'll have a lot more patience/time to wait on these projects to bear fruit. We've got three third round OL picks on our bench. Some of them have to pan out right? I don't know, I just have a feeling that Moses and Long will. I think Long is going to be one of those workmanlike guys that's never a beast but is just a steady presence in your starting line up and you trust him and never really feel the need to upgrade him. And then I think Moses is going to give us a lot of spectacularly good and pretty bad. But then eventually he grows into his tremendous physical gifts and becomes a quality starter. That's my wild guess.

And if those things do turn out to be true, then man, I think you could build a completely dominant OL simply by adding a special guard.

Got some guys from the 2014 class already showing up well for themselves. Grant had a nice day and Breeland continues to pop. Every week I get a little more sold on him. He looks like a nice find.

I also felt like Silas Redd popped in mop up duty too. Showed vision and the ability to create for himself at the LoS and get the first tacklers to miss. Quick but powerful. He should have fallen down at the one on his TD drive, but I don't blame him for taking it all the way in for his first NFL TD after such a great run. We really have a nice group of backs, and it's nice that we didn't have to spend any high draft picks to build it.

But I will say that I think a large proportion of their success comes from the fact they're playing in a fundamentally good offense with good QBs, good playcallers, and a solid run blocking OL. If there was another team looking to build a running game from the ground up and wanted to trade for one of our guys, I would say buyer beware. Because I'm not sure they'd be plug and play for everyone else. You need the OL and the one cut and go scheme.

I continue to be frustrated and impressed in turns with Helu. I see him run into tackles and closed lanes. But then I also see him break tackles in pretty spectacular ways and run away from defenses in the race to the edge. He would be fantastic if he had Morris's vision.

Speaking of Morris, I liked his quote about the goals of the running game. Take no losses and give 100% on every carry. No negative plays is the mantra of the ZBS. Losing yardage the Cardinal sin because it screws up your playbook by giving you bad leverage on subsequent downs. I really see this emphasis in the way Morris runs. He just doesn't go down before the LoS even when the play gets blown up. That's why he's always going to have a starting job here so long as he's able to keep doing that.

Jacksonville's rush defense is awful. I don't remember the last time we ate a team's lunch with the ground game like that. Everything was working, RGIII was killing it with zone reads and all three RBs went wild. The Jags were selling out hard too, play action was getting receivers open with like 20 yards of space.

When the receivers and running backs are making plays with Sunday's frequency, this offense is fun. Can't wait until RGIII gets back because we really have a chance to put up some points and compete in what looks like a very mediocre division.

Welcome to the show Shaun Wilson.

Got some speed on him. Got into the second level of the defense very fast, Kansas was shocked by his speed. Don't know if he has an NFL body but he certainly has NFL caliber speed and it looks like there is some wiggle to him. He is small and fast enough to take advantage of lanes most backs can't.

Archived