Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Pierre Garcon Restaurant Spinfire at Loudoun One

Corcaigh

By a friend's Brooklyn standard, the tomato sauce is marinara, the Sunday Gravy has the meats...all of 'em...very chunky, not "saucy". I describe it more like, meat with a tomato & spices thrown in... And good grief, is it awesome....I've got his mom's recipe, and it costs a lot & takes 2 days to make properly, but worth every penny and every second.

It can be saucy or thick.  It depends on who makes it.  Some use whole chunks of meat, some use more finely ground meat.  That said...

i+was+so+focused+on+finding+chernobyl+th

And add a Redskins Grille to the restaurants opening at One Loudoun.

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/article/one_loudoun_focusing_on_food_and_entertainment234

"an NFL-themed restaurant from an Ohio-based restaurant group that owns several other NFL-themed locations, from the Houston Texans Grille in Houston to the Jerome Bettis Grille in Pittsburgh."

*off topic, Jamal Mashburn has made an absolute KILLING by opening various franchise restaurants around the country.  He made enough money that he was once considered to be in an ownership group that was going to buy the Pistons.

Wiki says he owns 34 Outback Steakhouse franchises and 37 Papa John's franchises. That's some big numbers... 

There are a couple categories we're talking about:

- Guys who trade on their sports fame to open a namesake restaurant or franchise like Shula's or Ditka's or Billy Sims Barbecue.

- Guys like Mashburn who buy into successful franchises (or who, like Moseley, join up with a franchise right on the cusp of wild success).  Peyton Manning falls into this category as owner of 21 Denver area Papa John's locations.  TMZ notes that 1 year after he bought in, all the locations he owns reported big jumps in sales.  (They also note that his timing was perfect - just two weeks after he bought the 21 pizza places, marijuana was legalized  in Colorado.)

http://www.tmz.com/2013/10/16/peyton-manning-papa-johns-franchises/

Then there's Marvcus Patton, who has managed to become a successful restauranteur without even using whatever celebrity status his sporting past gave him.

I'm trying to think of ex-sports stars who hit it really big in the restaurant business. 

Mark Moseley.  He had those bomb fries in Potomac Mills, and is now director of franchising for Five Guys.  He's the one that took them from their five dives in N.Va to the international success it is today.

McNabb's Burgers and Fries didn't last.  You placed your order, and the cashier threw it at the ground three feet in front of you.

I'm not above recycling my old jokes.

This was great. I needed a good laught today. Kudos to you fine sir.

Mark Moseley.  He had those bomb fries in Potomac Mills, and is now director of franchising for Five Guys.  He's the one that took them from their five dives in N.Va to the international success it is today.

As a kicker, does he count as a sports star?  :D

Jerome Bettis has a successful restaurant in Pittsburgh.  It can happen

There are a bunch of one-off restaurants from former sports stars.  Lists of top athlete-owned restaurants include places owned by John Elway, Brett Favre, Vince Young, Aaron Rogers and Ryan Braun, Albert Puljos, Wayne Gretsky, Ray Borque, Chris Chelios, Dan Majerle, Yao Ming, Greg Norman, Arnold Palmer...

I didn't know that Boog Powell has two barbecue places in Ocean City, Maryland.  I guess I always assumed his Camden Yards place in right field was a one-off, but it's an offshoot of his beach places.

I'm trying to think of ex-sports stars who hit it really big in the restaurant business.  The biggest current one I can think of is Don Shula.  His Shula's Steak House has 14 locations in 9 states and it's branched into Shula's Bar and Grill, Shula's Burger, Shula's on the Beach, etc. with 20 or more additional locations.

Sadly this guy is making it...Battling with Hooters, the food is better at some locations though that is not hard to pull off....

Founded by the National Football League’s (NFL) Dallas Cowboys and Denver Broncos alumni, Crawford Ker, the first WingHouse opened in Largo, FL in 1994.  The Winghouse staff’s dedication and teamwork was a recipe for success.  Now, WingHouse has over 24 locations throughout Florida with plans to grow into the rest of the Southeast.

Could never order personally, lol...... Dallas Burger: two juicy 8 oz BBQ burgers topped with bacon.

Maybe I should ask for pulled pork? 

You guys are forgetting Rick Walkers Scoreboard, restaurant that he used to own in downtown Herndon. Loved going there as a kid. If I remember correctly it was only around for a few years but man it was cool. Last time I went home to Herndon it was some sort of late night party place, but can't remember the name.

What about Mosley's Burgers?

Couldn't find much on either.

"At one point in the Gibbs era, there were five Theismann's Restaurants in the area, and for a time all thrived. Their success showed his teammates and other local investors the value the Redskins name could hold in the food business."

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1059367.html

http://touch.washingtoncitypaper.com/wcp/#!/entry/food-for-thought,5213ff97da27f5d9d00eaa66

I'm trying to think of ex-sports stars who hit it really big in the restaurant business. The biggest current one I can think of is Don Shula. His Shula's Steak House has 14 locations in 9 states and it's branched into Shula's Bar and Grill, Shula's Burger, Shula's on the Beach, etc. with 20 or more additional locations.

Ex-Baltimore Colt Gino Marchetti, long with other teammates including Alan Ameche, built a minor fast food empire with the Gino's Hamburgers chain. Locally in DC the franchises sold Kentucky Fried Chicken along with the hamburgers. The chain had over 300 locations before they sold out to the Marriott Corp. in 1982, which turned the stores into Roy Rogers restaurants.

Billy Sims, ex-Sooner and Detroit Lion running back, runs a chain of 15 Billy Sims Barbecue restaurants in Missouri and Oklahoma.

Mike Ditka has three Ditka Steakhouses in the Chicago area and Pittsburgh.

At one time, there were at least three or four Joe Theismann's Restaurants in the DC area. The one in Old Town near the King Street Metro is still going strong after 35 years..

I hope Pierre's place is a success. But for every successful athlete-turned restauranteur, there's a bunch that fell short. Just ask Lavar Arrington, Richie Petitbone, Jay Shroeder, Curtis Jordan, etc...

Shaq makes millions from it. He owns over 100 restaurants

How so?

The adage is that the fail rate for restaurants is higher than any other business.  I hear that a lot, but I don't know if it's a fact.

Edit: Here's a Business Week article called "The Restaurant-Failure Myth."  It points to some data saying it may not be true.

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2007-04-16/the-restaurant-failure-mythbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

And another take on the same Columbus study mentioned in the Business Week article:

http://www.whitehutchinson.com/blog/2011/02/the-truth-about-restaurant-failure-rates/

How so?

Just going by the ESPN special i watched called "Going Broke" it showed all the ex athletes and there failed business ventures and money losing schemes they tired. Restaurant/bar was up there for all the athletes that were broke...

Kevin Grevey of the bullets has Greveys restaurant in falls church which has been there forever.  Id assume they do ok considering how long theyve been there. 

I'm trying to think of ex-sports stars who hit it really big in the restaurant business.  The biggest current one I can think of is Don Shula.  His Shula's Steak House has 14 locations in 9 states and it's branched into Shula's Bar and Grill, Shula's Burger, Shula's on the Beach, etc. with 20 or more additional locations.

Ex-Baltimore Colt Gino Marchetti, long with other teammates including Alan Ameche, built a minor fast food empire with the Gino's Hamburgers chain. Locally in DC the franchises sold Kentucky Fried Chicken along with the hamburgers.  The chain had over 300 locations before they sold out to the Marriott Corp. in 1982, which turned the stores into Roy Rogers restaurants. 

Billy Sims, ex-Sooner and Detroit Lion running back, runs a chain of 15 Billy Sims Barbecue restaurants in Missouri and Oklahoma.

Mike Ditka has three Ditka Steakhouses in the Chicago area and Pittsburgh. 

At one time, there were at least three or four Joe Theismann's Restaurants in the DC area.  The one in Old Town near the King Street Metro is still going strong after 35 years..

I hope Pierre's place is a success.  But for every successful athlete-turned restauranteur, there's a bunch that fell short.  Just ask Lavar Arrington, Richie Petitbone, Jay Shroeder, Curtis Jordan, etc...

Kevin Grevey of the bullets has Greveys restaurant in falls church which has been there forever.  Id assume they do ok considering how long theyve been there. 

Good call. They've been open since 1979.  That's an incredible run for any restaurant.

• 4 months later...

Archived