Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

4 hours ago, twa said:

3 Billion profit in the ACA marketplace?

Maybe we should try indentured servitude for healthcare providers since capitalism is not in favor.

Someone, could have been PeterMP, posted that number earlier in this thread. Forget offhand which post number it was. Was digging around for some numbers. Here's what I found:

https://www.healthinsurance.org/blog/2016/08/25/cry-me-a-river-aetna/

Basic summary, Aetna since 2014 had operating profits of 6.7 billion. So profits each year fluctuate 2-3 billion a year. it is possible the 3 billion number was accurate. 

21 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

Someone, could have been PeterMP, posted that number earlier in this thread. Forget offhand which post number it was. Was digging around for some numbers. Here's what I found:

https://www.healthinsurance.org/blog/2016/08/25/cry-me-a-river-aetna/

Basic summary, Aetna since 2014 had operating profits of 6.7 billion. So profits each year fluctuate 2-3 billion a year. it is possible the 3 billion number was accurate. 

Aetna's just doing what they said they were going to do if the Feds blocked their proposed merger with Humana...

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-aetna-obamacare-20170123-story.html

23 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Government mandated capitalism is an even worse application. 

The fact of the matter is that everybody participates in the health care market so it isn't really government mandated.

Nobody out there isn't going to the hospital if they have a serious illness.

Edited by PeterMP

According to several aides and other procedural experts, if Republicans send the bill to the Senate now and the CBO later concludes it doesn’t save at least $2 billion, it would doom the bill and Republicans would have to start their repeal effort all over with a new budget resolution. Congressional rules would likely prevent Republicans from fixing the bill after it’s in the Senate, the aides said.

If Republican leaders hold onto the bill until the CBO report is released, then Ryan and his team could still redo it if necessary. That would require at least one more House vote of some sort.

That vote could be cloaked in some kind of arcane procedural move, but it would still be depicted as a proxy for yet another vote on the same bill -- and reluctant Republicans will once again be forced to decide whether to back it. Only this time, they would also be saddled with the CBO’s latest findings about the bill’s costs and impacts.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2017 at 9:39 AM, Busch1724 said:

And didn't Aetna make 3 billion in profits last year? We're talking profits! Health insurance is where capitalism is not a good application. 

I noticed LSF liked your post, and it's because of one she made a few years ago that still sticks in my mind, and some ding-dong causes me to use it almost daily:  "Healthcare for profit should be criminal."  :taz:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, visionary said:

No, it's because YOU don't want to fix the problem.  You want sky-rocketing prescription costs so you can invest in the companies who rip the entire country off. (my ONE script, from one insurance company to another, went from $6.50/month to $15.  That's more than double, for people who don't use the Trump-calc.)

There are clear problems with the ACA.  But it ain't the worst thing that's happened politically in my lifetime, it's actually one of the high points.  Let's fix it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Didnt they say something about the deficit also?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-24/cbo-says-gop-health-plan-will-cut-deficit-by-119-billion?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Republicans’ revised plan to repeal and replace parts of the Affordable Care Act would shrink the U.S. budget deficit by $119 billion, $32 billion less than an earlier version of the legislation, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

3 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

But for reals guys, you're not seeing this as part of the whole complete budget picture! These CBO numbers are incomplete. We need increased insurance premiums to raise money for Trump's upcoming legal defenses. 

Russia can pay for his legal defenses.  They're the reason he's obstructing justice, and it was all because he owes them money.

It will all come out eventually, and it'll all be financial.

But back to how we're gonna get screwed medically...(sorry for the OT)

• Like 1