Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. **2018 Nominees**

DM72

All time list can be so objective though. Just to let you know, that MTV 100 greatest artist of all time didn't even have Sam Cooke on it. Again, Sam Cooke. Rolling Stone had a list of the 100 greatest singers. Bob Dylan was 7. I'm pretty sure I can go and look up every inductee in the Hall and not everyone of them are influential.

The lists I checked out weren't meant to be the best-of-the-best or anything, just a reflection of 8 different "best of" lists...some have more validity than others, definitely. But for the Spinners to not end up on ANY of them while the Beastie Boys were indeed listed speaks more to how both groups and their output are viewed.

And, no, not every HOF member can be said to be influential, but those who are influential will have a significant leg up in the voting.

At any rate, like I said I grew up with the Spinners and will be listening to them until I can't hear anything anymore lol...one of my favorites :thumbsup:

NfG47NsWVYA

LOL. I know I sound like the president of the Spinners fan club, I just think they've done it enough over the course of about 50 years to get in. Here's a group is comparable to the Spinners, The O Jays. Why do they get in and not The Spinners?

LOL. I know I sound like the president of the Spinners fan club, I just think they've done it enough over the course of about 50 years to get in. Here's a group is comparable to the Spinners, The O Jays. Why do they get in and not The Spinners?

I mean, it's just not the Spinners. IMO, there are even more deserving bands that aren't in.

Jethro Tull?

Heart?

KISS?

Warren freakin' Zevon?

The list goes on.

Oh, Califan007, thanks so much for putting that vid up! Sooouuuullllll Train!!! Loved that show. I'm sure I saw that particular week when it was on originally. I watched SoulTrain every Saturday! Loved it so much, and the dancing! That's my favorite Spinners song BTW. Made my night! Especially since I have a headache from working on a draft the last couple of days.

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 11:22 PM ----------

I didn't know that Warren's middle name was freakin'! :evilg:

Oh, Califan007, thanks so much for putting that vid up! Sooouuuullllll Train!!! Loved that show. I'm sure I saw that particular week when it was on originally. I watched SoulTrain every Saturday! Loved it so much, and the dancing! That's my favorite Spinners song BTW. Made my night! Especially since I have a headache from working on a draft the last couple of days.

Me, too lol :yes:...Saturdays were Sooooooooooooul Train day in my house growing up. I can see myself in Reston in our kitchen, watching the opening segment on the small tv we had in there :ols:...

I sent this song and the lyrics to a woman I was involved with years ago after the relationship ended (she lives in another country)...after she heard the song and read the lyrics (she was unfamiliar with the song, believe it or not), she was like a puddle of emotional water lol :cool:...we still talk almost every day, and has mentioned the "spark" at times when we do.

Out of curiosity, what is it that makes these bands/artist more deserving?

My main thing with the RRHOF is being unique.

Jethro Tull had Ian Anderson, and Ian Anderson made playing the flute cool. They were pretty damn good too.

Heart had the Wilson sisters, and both were incredibly talented. Ann has one of the best voices that I've ever heard, and her sister played guitar. Awesome.

KISS is KISS. They aren't in for the music.

Warren Zevon because he was the man.

The Spinners were good, but I much prefer the ones I listed for being so unique.

Nothing against those bands, but being unique doesn't mean that you're better or more qualified.

I judge how legendary a band is by what they've done different;y. That's what keeps music fresh.

It's not the NFL, where you're expected to amass a certain number of yards to be respected. In music, it's not about where you are or how good you are, it's how you get there.

But if you want to talk about how good a band is, aren't the best bands the most unique ones?

Don't get the Beastie Boys hate by some in this thread. You can't deny their accomplishments and contribution to hip hop.

And Hello Nasty is the single greatest album to listen to if you ever drop acid. Talk about mind blowing and hypnotic.

on a related note, I read a piece last week about how they absolutely hate "Fight For Your Right". They did it as a joke and the video for it was really just them mocking people. They refuse to perform it at concerts and haven't done it live in like 20 years.

But if you want to talk about how good a band is, aren't the best bands the most unique ones?

Not really.

The true great bands stand apart from other ones mainly because of their talent. It's their talent that makes them unique. Late 60's into the 70's there were a ton of blues rock bands, but all the big name bands stood out because of their supreme talent throughout the entire band.

Not really.

The true great bands stand apart from other ones mainly because of their talent. It's their talent that makes them unique. Late 60's into the 70's there were a ton of blues rock bands, but all the big name bands stood out because of their supreme talent throughout the entire band.

I think we're thinking the same thing but using different words to describe it. I agree with you.

Maybe it's just the world we live in, but I sometimes interchange "unique" and "talent". I think there is some similarity between the two.

I think we're thinking the same thing but using different words to describe it. I agree with you.

Maybe it's just the world we live in, but I sometimes interchange "unique" and "talent". I think there is some similarity between the two.

It was their "unique talent."

There we go.

:ols:

Seeing the Spinners discussion here brings up a similar one in my mind. The Spinners were successful for a long period of time. They are not as influential as their peers, kind of reminds me of Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi are wildly successful in all corners of the globe, should they get in?

To be honest, I never really considered that there was such thing as a HoF for this and it seems lame. On some level it offends me as being a commercial and fame driven grotesquery of art. No artist should sit easy being involved in something like a Rock and Roll HoF.

---------- Post added December-9th-2011 at 09:45 AM ----------

What's next, a New York School Hall of Fame? LOL!

Seeing the Spinners discussion here brings up a similar one in my mind. The Spinners were successful for a long period of time. They are not as influential as their peers, kind of reminds me of Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi are wildly successful in all corners of the globe, should they get in?

For me personally, I don't think success and popularity alone should be enough.

For me personally, I don't think success and popularity alone should be enough.

I agree. There are a few defending the Spinners, would they also defend Bon Jovi. That's why I threw it out there, the reason being is that I wonder how much musical taste comes into play when discussing who should and should not get in.

I agree. There are a few defending the Spinners, would they also defend Bon Jovi. That's why I threw it out there, the reason being is that I wonder how much musical taste comes into play when discussing who should and should not get in.

For fans? It's about 90% lol :yes:...I may be in the minority, but I fully acknowledge that just because I don't like certain music or certain groups it doesn't mean that the music or the groups don't have real artistic merit that, due to my personal musical taste, I'm just not capable of discerning. I'm not a Johnny Cash or Beastie Boys fan, at all...but intellectually I have zero problem understanding why they received the praise they have and their places in rock history. I don't hate their music, either. I just never got into it.

To be honest, I never really considered that there was such thing as a HoF for this and it seems lame. On some level it offends me as being a commercial and fame driven grotesquery of art. No artist should sit easy being involved in something like a Rock and Roll HoF.

---------- Post added December-9th-2011 at 09:45 AM ----------

What's next, a New York School Hall of Fame? LOL!

They have no problem selling concert tickets,albums, etc. for profit. Why should they be uncomfortable with the RNRHOF?

For fans? It's about 90% lol :yes:...I may be in the minority, but I fully acknowledge that just because I don't like certain music or certain groups it doesn't mean that the music or the groups don't have real artistic merit that, due to my personal musical taste, I'm just not capable of discerning. I'm not a Johnny Cash or Beastie Boys fan, at all...but intellectually I have zero problem understanding why they received the praise they have and their places in rock history. I don't hate their music, either. I just never got into it.

Well, said and I concur. I never got into U2, Pink Floyd, and REM but I get their importance.

Really good post here and one that I concur. Too many take offense at others opinions that a band is deserving or not.

Archived