Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where does Ted Nugent rank as a guitarist?

Big Weirdo

How will Portis play?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. How will Portis play?

• Portis will play well.
    • Portis will not play well.

Saw the Behind the Music on Ted Nugent and the dude can flat out play. He was wild as hell and his live shows must have been off the god damn chain.

Where does he rank as a guitarist? Is he even considered to be in the Top 50 on anyones list? Just curious because only knowing a few of his singles the guy could flat out wail on the guitar. His energy is just amazing.

He's bat **** crazy but damn I love the Motor City Madman!

I didn't realize there were rankings for these sorts of things. The High Fidelity effect?

Nothing like that. Just wanted to see where people placed him. Strictly as a guitar player I'd imagine he has to be up there. But I don't play guitar and don't know the technical ins and outs. I'm more of a bass kind of guy.

I saw him twice way back when, and he was most definitely kick ass live. He can play, nothing amazing, but definitely can jam.

Saw him at the Capital Center in 1980(?.. "Weekend Warriors" was his new album) with the Scorpions and Def Leppard.. it was Def Leppard's first American tour, they were like 17 or 18 years old and were great, It was a festival style show, general admission, and man did that show rock. Scorpions were great. Ted swung down onto the stage on a cable wearing a loincloth, and they had a power failure right after his opening song. so they brought the lights up and he ran around on stage daring people to hit him with frisbees, all sorts of stuff.. he was humping the amps, as i recall. :ols:

They got it fixed about 15 minute later, and he played a hell of a good show. I'm sure there might be one of y'all out there who was there that night. It was in the Cap Center's good old days of concerts.

I also saw him in Baltimore at the civic center about a year later with Blackfoot and Richie Blackmore's Rainbow. That was pretty cool as well.

~Bang

I saw him twice way back when, and he was most definitely kick ass live. He can play, nothing amazing, but definitely can jam.

Saw him at the Capital Center in 1980(?.. "Weekend Warriors" was his new album) with the Scorpions and Def Leppard.. it was Def Leppard's first American tour, they were like 17 or 18 years old and were great, It was a festival style show, general admission, and man did that show rock. Scorpions were great. Ted swung down onto the stage on a cable wearing a loincloth, and they had a power failure right after his opening song. so they brought the lights up and he ran around on stage daring people to hit him with frisbees, all sorts of stuff.. he was humping the amps, as i recall. :ols:

They got it fixed about 15 minute later, and he played a hell of a good show. I'm sure there might be one of y'all out there who was there that night. It was in the Cap Center's good old days of concerts.

I also saw him in Baltimore at the civic center about a year later with Blackfoot and Richie Blackmore's Rainbow. That was pretty cool as well.

~Bang

That was Intensities in Ten Cities I believe. I saw em out here swinging of the stacks. Excellent show first one I went to without a parent. I think he's an above average guitarist but he's got charisma or personality. Some people like it and some don't but he does get noticed. His shows were very energetic and fun. No ballads or any of that **** just a couple hours of wailing. I like him though he is most definitely nutty.

The other time I saw him was on the Tarmac at Ft. Bliss. He'd traded a concert for the service folks, and us too, for an Oryx hunt on White Sands Missile Range. Fair trade IMO.

That was Intensities in Ten Cities I believe. I saw em out here swinging of the stacks. Excellent show first one I went to without a parent. I think he's an above average guitarist but he's got charisma or personality. Some people like it and some don't but he does get noticed. His shows were very energetic and fun. No ballads or any of that **** just a couple hours of wailing. I like him though he is most definitely nutty.

The other time I saw him was on the Tarmac at Ft. Bliss. He'd traded a concert for the service folks, and us too, for an Oryx hunt on White Sands Missile Range. Fair trade IMO.

Must disagree, in fact one of the songs off Intensities was recorded at that show. the time in Baltimore may have been the Intensities tour... course, it may be the one they recorded,, not sure.

~Bang

Uncle Ted for president for me! Seen him around '06 and he rocked! Top 20 for sure. His music is ok., actually better than average when compared to other guitar players music. Thinking top Guitarists, not in any order... yngwie Malmstein, Stevie Ray Vaughn, my actual favorite, Zakk Wylde.... -Just naming a few.... there are more if I were to think. Nuges' music is pretty good. Guitar ability prolly much better than Zakk but music much better than Malmstein. Stevie has some good music, and good guitar playing so it is comparable.... to me anyway. Just my opinion.

Nuge for pres!!!!!! A stand up guy is what America needs!!!

mboyd has it right.

The art of rock guitar has come a long way since Ted's heyday.

Nowadays, you can hang out at almost any guitar store on any Saturday afternoon, and you're guaranteed to find a teenager who can play rings around ol' Ted.

Doesn't mean that Ted's not still a lunatic. :)

Decent player...nothing special. Bunch of dudes out there that can play circles around him, including me.

Pretty much sums it up. Before I started playing I thought he was better than he is, even though I'm not a fan. Guess it was the hype. Every once in a while I'll hear something on the radio and think "Meh, pretty average."

Only song I really love of his is the Amboy Dukes tune "Journey to the Center of the Mind."

Archived