Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

LIstening to Brooks interview with Sheehan the other day, its a mortal lock that Porter gets resigned. I'm okay with it, I think he'll continue to develop and be a damn good #3 player.

paying a #3 player like a #1 seems backwards to me

i am truly amazed at how Grunfeld has managed to construct this roster that Otto Porter, a nice piece, but otherwise non-descript player, has all the leverage of a multiple time all-nba player

i find it hard to get excited for the coming season knowing that team who eliminated us are improving their team while we are forced to stand pat and hope for "leaps" from our core.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

paying a #3 player like a #1 seems backwards to me

i am truly amazed at how Grunfeld has managed to construct this roster that Otto Porter, a nice piece, but otherwise non-descript player, has all the leverage of a multiple time all-nba player

i find it hard to get excited for the coming season knowing that team who eliminated us are improving their team while we are forced to stand pat and hope for "leaps" from our core.

I mean its just the way the NBA salary structure is right now. Its a bit of a broken system. If we don't pay Porter someone else will. We have no choice but to resign him because the alternative is significantly worse.

I do think there is still room for internal growth. Wall and Beal will both get better as well. Hopefully Mahimi can stay healthy and Satoranski will be better, and hopefully Frazier is an upgrade over Burke/Jennings. Lot of hoping but, that's kind of what being a DC sports fan is.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We do have flexibility.  We can walk away from Otto if we'd like.  It would be foolish to do so, tho.

i dont really count that as flexibility because we still would not have cash to do anything meaningful if we let him walk

8 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

not for the CBA, blaming him for never seeming to think past the next year

its like he's allergic to flexibility 

In fairness to Grunfeld, he did do what most of us wanted in setting us up with cap space in the Durant FA year. Unfortunately the team dropped off too much and he and Leonsis just aren't good enough salesmen to bring in someone of that caliber. Then of course he messed it all up by blowing all the money on Ian freaking Mahimi.

I wouldn't care if we traded Mahimi, Gortat, and Sato in a package... for anything really. Cleanse us of some contracts. We aren't going to win because of any of those players, but their combined money sure as hell hold us back.

Use the money to resign Bogs, give Noel a contract (no way he approaches anything close to a max). Attempt to sign Porter under his max (he certainly isn't worth a max)

Sign Zaza, and Mo Speights

Wall-Beal-Porter-Morris-Noel

Frazier-Bogs-Oubre-Speights-Zaza

Possible.... I have no idea but I like it

Porter is a max-contract player in TODAY'S NBA, but he is in no way the 3rd piece (of a "big" 3) on a championship contending team.  Got no problem with retaining him, but if he can be moved either via S&T or in January/Feb when he's able to be traded after signing his contract this summer, then by all means do it. 

Okay so we max Porter..... he better learn to finally hit the gym. Hell I am in shape but still skinny, Otto is 9 inches taller than me and weights about 20-25 pounds more than me... that is sad. Porter needs to be playing with about 15 more pounds of muscle on him.

So really this goes back to my previous post. Wall-Beal-Porter-Morris......  That can be very good but we need a productive bench, We had a bottom 3 (maybe the worst) bench in the NBA last year. In the playoffs it destroyed us. Frazier should help he can make his own a bit and make for others a lot.

Again, I am for trading Gortat, Mahimi, and Sato in the same package for anything for a 2nd round pick if need be.

Sign Bogs, Zaza, Speights, Dedman

Mix those signings with Frazier, Oubre, and Smith and you got a good bench, and team. Hell even just start Dedman for rim protection

Nobody wants Mahimi. He represents negative value. I could see someone wanting Gortat but I don't think he's that bad. I know he was poor in the playoffs but he's still a double double per game and he's great in the pick and roll with Wall. I wouldn't just give him away.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Nobody wants Mahimi. He represents negative value. I could see someone wanting Gortat but I don't think he's that bad. I know he was poor in the playoffs but he's still a double double per game and he's great in the pick and roll with Wall. I wouldn't just give him away.

I'm willing to include Sato and a 2nd round pick just to get rid of Mahimi. Gortat is awful at defense now but is tradeable. You don't make the Mahimi trade in some sense of getting value in the trade. You do it to give the team more financial flexbility to become a better team. 

Again we aren't going to win anything because we kept Mahimi, Sato, a 2nd round pick and Gortat. But we can win by trading them away and building a productive bench. By the way Gortat was an 8 pts, 8 boards per game guy after the break.

Trade them away, trade Sato, and a 2nd to just get rid of Mahimi. Trading Gortat opens up more touches for Porter to get (since it looks like he will be a max player now. Just sign s guy like Dwayne Dedmon to play down low and rim protect, and build the bench.

That is a far more productive route to take at this point.

4 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

I'm willing to include Sato and a 2nd round pick just to get rid of Mahimi. Gortat is awful at defense now but is tradeable. You don't make the Mahimi trade in some sense of getting value in the trade. You do it to give the team more financial flexbility to become a better team. 

Again we aren't going to win anything because we kept Mahimi, Sato, a 2nd round pick and Gortat. But we can win by trading them away and building a productive bench. By the way Gortat was an 8 pts, 8 boards per game guy after the break.

Trade them away, trade Sato, and a 2nd to just get rid of Mahimi. Trading Gortat opens up more touches for Porter to get (since it looks like he will be a max player now. Just sign s guy like Dwayne Dedmon to play down low and rim protect, and build the bench.

That is a far more productive route to take at this point.

Sato and 2nd will get us laughed at before they hang up the phone

it took a 1st round pick to get rid of Nicholson's deal, gonna take alot more to move Mahinmi