Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Wlad is the best heavyweight since Ali and Frazier.

Come on, man. There's no doubt Wlad is the class of the heavyweight field right now, but can you honestly say he would have even had so much as a shot against a prime Lennox, Evander, Riddick Bowe, etc.

Local fighter Eric "Mighty Mouse" Aiken on ESPN2 tomorrow.

Darnell Wilson next week.

I was glad to see my local boy Meza-Clay stop Aiken in that fight.

Here is the recap if anyone is interested: http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3226779&categoryId=2491554

I work a few blocks away from the Expo Mart in Monroeville. If I didn't have to work Friday night, I would have went to this... work blows.

klitschcko ibragimov is actually at the garden. Zab will knock out margarito.

Zab knock out margarito.....hahahahah

won't happen buddy. Zab Judah is garbage, only way he beats Margarito is by boxing him, and winning a decision.

Zab has proven in the past two years that he was a highly overrated fighter. He starts out quick, but he can't finish. He will beat your average Joe any day of the week, but he will never be an elite fighter.

Guest sith lord
Come on, man. There's no doubt Wlad is the class of the heavyweight field right now, but can you honestly say he would have even had so much as a shot against a prime Lennox, Evander, Riddick Bowe, etc.

I guess the starter of this argument forgot about Forman who dismantled Frazier on two occassions. And what about Holmes, arguably the most underrated champion in history. Hell, I don't even think he would beat Mike Tyson in his prime.

I tell you a guy to keep your eye on....Mean Joe Green. He is a young undeated up and coming Middle weight. I've seen him fight a couple times, and was very impressed. I look forward to him getting a real test, see what he is really made of.

as for future fights...

Paul Williams vs. Carlos Quintana

I don't think this will be much of a fight. Paul Williams should make light work out of Quintana. Quintana doesn't have much heart. Williams should win a unanimous decision. Still w/ two big named fighters and a chance to see Berto fight, it is not a bad card for regular HBO.

Kelly Pavlik vs. Jermain Taylor

This should be a good fight. Pavlik caught Taylor by surprise in the first fight (I wasn't too surprised) I would be very surprised if Taylor doesn't come out and box a text book fight, and regain his championship.

Israel Vazquez vs. Rafael Marquez

First two fights were great, especially the second one. This will probably be the fight of the year. I'm picking Marquez to win by KO, should be quite a few Knockdowns in this one. Both fighters are lightning fast, hard hitters, and both have a lot of heart.

Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Manny Pacquiao

I got Pacquiao's last fight and was very disopointed...it was very one sided. This could be his best test in a long time. I don't even want to predict it, It will be interesting to see if the "mexican killer" can strike again.

Miguel Cotto vs. Alfonso Gomez

hopefully this is a tune-up fight for Miguel before he faces Paul Williams. Although these are my two favorite fighters, I'd love to see them fight. Miguel would probably win.

Bernard Hopkins vs. Joe Calzaghe

this would have been a better fight two years ago. Calzaghe has since proven he is a legit fighter. Bernard has proved he still has some gas left in the tank. I think Calzaghe has more gas than Bernard does, and Calzaghe's agressive style will be too much for Bernard's great defense in the end. I pick Calzaghe in a split decision.

Mayweather vs. DeLaHoya

what a joke...I got the first fight, don't need to get the second. Oscar showed in the last fight that he still has the ability to box well, but I don't think he has the balls to go full force (which is what he would need to do to give himself the chance)

Mayweather should face the winner of Williams and Cotto, but none of the fights are in the works. too bad. too much dodging.

as for future fights...

This should be a good fight. Pavlik caught Taylor by surprise in the first fight (I wasn't too surprised) I would be very surprised if Taylor doesn't come out and box a text book fight, and regain his championship.

I got Pacquiao's last fight and was very disopointed...it was very one sided. This could be his best test in a long time. I don't even want to predict it, It will be interesting to see if the "mexican killer" can strike again.

Mayweather vs. DeLaHoya

what a joke...I got the first fight, don't need to get the second. Oscar showed in the last fight that he still has the ability to box well, but I don't think he has the balls to go full force (which is what he would need to do to give himself the chance)

Pavlik caught Taylor by surprise?! Are you kidding? Taylor had him ready to snooze early in that fight and didn't finish. Pavlik did an AMAZING job of changing the whole pace of that fight and KOed Taylor with authority.

I think Jermain knows he better finish it this time and he's capable of doing that but I wouldn't take anything away from Kelly by saying he caught Taylor by surprise. It was no flash KO in any way.

I really like Juan. He was almost done in the 1st and 2nd rounds vs. Pacquiao last time and pulled off an amazing comeback to get the draw. Manny starts SO fast. Juan won't let that happen this time.

Oscar vs. Floyd II will be exactly like the first one. (Snoooooore...) I agree with you. Not wasting my money here.

I tell you a guy to keep your eye on....Mean Joe Green. He is a young undeated up and coming Middle weight. I've seen him fight a couple times, and was very impressed. I look forward to him getting a real test, see what he is really made of.

joe green is definitely one to watch in the future

as for future fights...

Paul Williams vs. Carlos Quintana

I don't think this will be much of a fight. Paul Williams should make light work out of Quintana. Quintana doesn't have much heart. Williams should win a unanimous decision. Still w/ two big named fighters and a chance to see Berto fight, it is not a bad card for regular HBO.

Quintana has decent boxing to make this interesting, but Williams and his freakish reach (84" is insane for a welterweight) will be too much offense for him

definitely lookin forward to this one. Taylor is back with his old trainer as him and Steward just didn't have any chemistry at all. i think this fight will go the distance with Pavlik winning a split decision.

Israel Vazquez vs. Rafael Marquez

First two fights were great, especially the second one. This will probably be the fight of the year. I'm picking Marquez to win by KO, should be quite a few Knockdowns in this one. Both fighters are lightning fast, hard hitters, and both have a lot of heart.

Their 2nd fight was an instant classic last year, and easily fight of the year. i can't wait for the 3rd installment. i'll take Vazquez as he is the bigger puncher of the two fighters

Pacquiao didn't look as good as he normally does in his last fight. Marquez has the technical skills to do well, but he's slowed down just a tad from their first meeting. i think Pacquiao will push the pace to a unanimous decision

Miguel Cotto vs. Alfonso Gomez

hopefully this is a tune-up fight for Miguel before he faces Paul Williams. Although these are my two favorite fighters, I'd love to see them fight. Miguel would probably win.

Cotto's management won't take the fight with Williams because they see him as too much of a threat. they have already said that if Margarito beats Judah, he'll get a shot at Cotto, even though Williams beat Margarito. Cotto's team wants no parts of Williams. i think Paul would beat him the same way he beat Margarito. Paul's best defense is his offense. he throws a 100 punches per round, i'm not sure how Cotto would deal with that pressure.

Bernard Hopkins vs. Joe Calzaghe

this would have been a better fight two years ago. Calzaghe has since proven he is a legit fighter. Bernard has proved he still has some gas left in the tank. I think Calzaghe has more gas than Bernard does, and Calzaghe's agressive style will be too much for Bernard's great defense in the end. I pick Calzaghe in a split decision.

Calzaghe's handspeed will be too much for Bernard. Calzaghe not only has great technical skills, but he has heart. Calzaghe wins a comfortable unanimous decision.

Mayweather vs. DeLaHoya

Mayweather should face the winner of Williams and Cotto, but none of the fights are in the works. too bad. too much dodging.

I'm sick of de la hoya holding multiple division's hostage while he gets another big payday. no reason for this fight to happen. floyd will beat him again, only easier

my thoughts in red :2cents:

Zab knock out margarito.....hahahahah

won't happen buddy. Zab Judah is garbage, only way he beats Margarito is by boxing him, and winning a decision.

Zab has proven in the past two years that he was a highly overrated fighter. He starts out quick, but he can't finish. He will beat your average Joe any day of the week, but he will never be an elite fighter.

Zab isn't garbage, he's just a mental midget. kinda sad really, he is as gifted talent wise as any fighter at 147. he hits hard, probably has the fastest hands, but he chin is suspect at best, and he folds under pressure. zab is a perfect example of important the mental aspect is to boxing.

Pavlik caught Taylor by surprise?! Are you kidding? Taylor had him ready to snooze early in that fight and didn't finish. Pavlik did an AMAZING job of changing the whole pace of that fight and KOed Taylor with authority.

I think Jermain knows he better finish it this time and he's capable of doing that but I wouldn't take anything away from Kelly by saying he caught Taylor by surprise. It was no flash KO in any way.

I really like Juan. He was almost done in the 1st and 2nd rounds vs. Pacquiao last time and pulled off an amazing comeback to get the draw. Manny starts SO fast. Juan won't let that happen this time.

Oscar vs. Floyd II will be exactly like the first one. (Snoooooore...) I agree with you. Not wasting my money here.

I wasn't saying he surprised him w/ the knockout.....I'm saying, I don't think Taylor expected the fight that was brought to him. I don't think he was ready. Pavlic wont beat him again though....not the guy that beat bhop twice. Taylor is a very good boxer, he needed this loss to teach him a lesson.

I don't think Paul Williams would beat cotto, a matter of fact.....I think Mayweather is the only boxer I've seen boxing at 147,140, 154 that could beat cotto. Cotto is the pound for pound hardest hitter in the game. The only thing that is going against cotto is his suspect chin. You can knock cotto down, but you better be able to take a punch yourself.

As much as I like Paul, he doesn't have the power needed to knock cotto out. In the Margarito fight, he had nothing behind his punches. All Margarito had to do was take a few hits, get inside, and jack Paul up. Granted, I think Paul boxed Margarito the way he did for a reason....and it worked. but if he tried doing that against cotto, he would have another thing coming.

I don't think Paul Williams would beat cotto, a matter of fact.....I think Mayweather is the only boxer I've seen boxing at 147,140, 154 that could beat cotto. Cotto is the pound for pound hardest hitter in the game. The only thing that is going against cotto is his suspect chin. You can knock cotto down, but you better be able to take a punch yourself.

As much as I like Paul, he doesn't have the power needed to knock cotto out. In the Margarito fight, he had nothing behind his punches. All Margarito had to do was take a few hits, get inside, and jack Paul up. Granted, I think Paul boxed Margarito the way he did for a reason....and it worked. but if he tried doing that against cotto, he would have another thing coming.

Margarito has great power at welterweight as well, and Williams stood up to his shots. Cotto doesn't throw enough punches to stop the onslaught of punches by Williams. Willams may not have one punch power, but he hits you so much, the punishment builds up. i don't think Williams would knock out Cotto, but i think he would win enough clear rounds to get a clear unanimous victory against Cotto. Cotto's never fought anyone who would apply nearly as much pressure as Williams' would. Not to mention, Cotto has very little head movement in his game, that would allow Pauls combinations to land at a decnet clip.

i hope cotto's management changes their tune, although its unlikely. Williams deserves a shot at Cotto, especially before Margarito

Margarito has great power at welterweight as well, and Williams stood up to his shots. Cotto doesn't throw enough punches to stop the onslaught of punches by Williams. Willams may not have one punch power, but he hits you so much, the punishment builds up. i don't think Williams would knock out Cotto, but i think he would win enough clear rounds to get a clear unanimous victory against Cotto. Cotto's never fought anyone who would apply nearly as much pressure as Williams' would. Not to mention, Cotto has very little head movement in his game, that would allow Pauls combinations to land at a decnet clip.

i hope cotto's management changes their tune, although its unlikely. Williams deserves a shot at Cotto, especially before Margarito

Paul didn't have to stand up to Margarito's power....Margarito didn't really press him at all. Cotto won't sit around and lose point after point, and round after round like Margarito did. Margarito and Cotto are fairly similar boxers. Cotto will use the Margarito fight as an example of what NOT to do. Cotto would rock Williams, hands down. Williams isn't in Cotto's league.

and this is coming from a huge Paul Williams supporter.

Paul didn't have to stand up to Margarito's power....Margarito didn't really press him at all. Cotto won't sit around and lose point after point, and round after round like Margarito did. Margarito and Cotto are fairly similar boxers. Cotto will use the Margarito fight as an example of what NOT to do. Cotto would rock Williams, hands down. Williams isn't in Cotto's league.

and this is coming from a huge Paul Williams supporter.

i would argue that Margarito didn't pressure Paul because Paul constantly put Margarito on the defensive. Margarito is known as a high volume puncher, averaging close to a 100punches thrown per round. against williams, he only averaged around 60punches thrown per round. Paul Williams is so active in throwing punches, that it literally smothers his opponent's offense. again i think the pressure Williams would give Cotto, would allow him to win enough rounds for a decision victory.

i would argue that Margarito didn't pressure Paul because Paul constantly put Margarito on the defensive. Margarito is known as a high volume puncher, averaging close to a 100punches thrown per round. against williams, he only averaged around 60punches thrown per round. Paul Williams is so active in throwing punches, that it literally smothers his opponent's offense. again i think the pressure Williams would give Cotto, would allow him to win enough rounds for a decision victory.

well, we will have to agree to disagree on our predicted outcome. It would be nice if the fight got signed.

I wasn't saying he surprised him w/ the knockout.....I'm saying, I don't think Taylor expected the fight that was brought to him. I don't think he was ready. Pavlic wont beat him again though....not the guy that beat bhop twice. Taylor is a very good boxer, he needed this loss to teach him a lesson.

I agree with you, Fink. Taylor knows he let that one get away. If he's smart he'll start fast and go home early with a win.

Besides, with a matchup like this we need a trilogy. :)

Darnell's fighting tonight.

Seems like people are afraid to fight "The Punisher." Cintron, Mayweather, Cotto, stop being such cowards and step up. http://proxy.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/notebook?page=notebook/boxingfeb08

darnell's always a good watch, probably had the knockout of the year last year.

Paul Williams & Andre Berto are fighting in separate bouts on HBO After Dark tonight

darnell's always a good watch, probably had the knockout of the year last year.

Paul Williams & Andre Berto are fighting in separate bouts on HBO After Dark tonight

Here's Darnell's KO:
:yikes:

I met Darnell once; check the first post of this thread.