Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why our season will be defined by what happens Saturday

Riggo-toni

If, and only if, we win Saturday, it will be the end of Norvitis. It will be the end of the Dark Ages. I’m not talking about playoffs (though making them will certainly be a beautiful thing). I’m talking about the first year since Gibbs I that we have a winning record DESPITE our schedule (whereas Norvo’s all too oft mentioned ’99 season benefited from a remarkably weak one). I’m talking about the first time when good and even elite teams can’t mark the Skins as an easy win on their schedules. Most of all, I’m talking about the Skins being the cream of a newly revitalized NFC East. If the Giants beat us, then they’ve owned us this year, plain and simple (which will be a particularly bitter pill for me here in NJ to swallow). If we beat them (especially if it’s reasonably decisive), then we will have beaten everyone in the division. Noone owns us. In fact, were it not for the Giants extra home game and our being robbed in Tampa at the hands of the refs, we’d be winning the division outright.

To me, this will be the defining moment of our season. It will squarely refute or sheepishly concede the oft-repeated criticism that the game has passed our beloved leader by. Should we win, even the most bereft of football wisdom and objectivity amongst the sea of idiots we weakly refer to as sportswriters will be rebuked for their incessant insistence that the Redskins are merely pretenders. What will a certain jacka$s say, that we are the worst 9-6 team in history? Furthermore, if we beat the Giants, we will have beaten both teams most of these fools consider the elite of the NFC, NY and Seattle.

Please, o mighty Redskins, put a stake through the heart of Norvula. We have lived in fear and misery for way too long.

Yup. We have a chance to kill some ghosts just like we killed the Dallas curse.

I still think we were reffed far worse in Denver than Tampa though. Phantom call erases 53 yard field goal. Safety erased. Phantom call negates touchdown in endzone. I was in California that day watching in a sports bar. And everyone there agreed including the Denver fans that the Redskins got really abused by the refs that day.

We are already 2 games better than last year. If we play the Giants tough, I will be very happy. If we win, naturally, I will be ecstatic.

I'm not sure I'm with you on the "Saturday will define our whole season" thing.

We are much better than last year already. And really, progress is all you can hope for at this point.

I'm waaaaay proud of the Skins this year.

I do agree with you that it would feel so good to get out of these NFC East doldrums we've been in for a way too long!

Good post. I agree with most of it. However in the Buc's game we let a freakin Rookie QB run all over us, thus putting us in the position to allow someone else or outside factors like ref's to put the nail in the coffin.

We should have beaten Denver, KC and the Buc's. I think the hardest pill for me to swallow this year is watching a team with good, solid players, shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers.

I thought Simms is a 2nd year QB. We let them run all over us AFTER Salavea had to leave the game -meaning BOTH our starting DTs were out. The difference between when Salavea was in and afterwards was frightening. Now we have both DTs back, which is why I'm somewhat more optimistic about Sunday. Griffin is our defensive MVP.

Good post. I agree with most of it. However in the Buc's game we let a freakin Rookie QB run all over us, thus putting us in the position to allow someone else or outside factors like ref's to put the nail in the coffin.

We should have beaten Denver, KC and the Buc's. I think the hardest pill for me to swallow this year is watching a team with good, solid players, shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers.

It is easier to swallow if we build on this year, and become a better team because of it.

Teams like this who are still under construction are going to frustrate you with missed opportunities here and there. But, the fact that we have improved a lot and are finishing strong right now should give you some good feelings.

Jason

Should have beaten San Diego, that 10 yard penality killed us. And there is simply no excuse for our losing to the Raiders. And, if we had one of Denver, Tampa Bay we could actually be sitting on top of the division with 11 wins. At least we'd be tied with Giants.

I still think the 10 yard penalty against SD and losing to Raiders are two wins we should have had. We could even losing the division by a game.

Norv can beat the Giants after we beat them.

This team will not experience a letdown, Gibbs had them prepared and focused for Dallas and he will do the same this week. And don't think Gregg Williams isn't scheming hard against Barber. With Griffin and Salavea healthy and playing, nobody can run on us. Period.

Thus, it'll be in Manning's hands, and both his starting tackles are inexperienced, not to mention the fact that their center is the weakest member of their offensive line.

I am gonna be at the game, screaming my lungs out.

Cheers to you Riggo-toni, I've always enjoyed your takes.

Great thread.

A win this weekend (which would give us two straight BIG DIVISION wins) would fly in the face of what this team has done in big games. We have been known to wilt in big games vs. good teams. If, a big IF, we can win, I think all fans will be more comfortable with the big games to come in the future.

It'd be a nice feeling to go into a huge game and know that we'll show up. Maybe we won't play great and win every time (obviously) but that we'll play hard and win our share. That hasn't been the case in a long time. Big games have been our forum to bottom out...I hope that changes on Christmas Eve!

I agree that we need to get rid of the norvitis as quickly as possible. What I really need to see is that our Redskins win games that really mean something to us, as in "we control our fate" Over the last 6 years we have lost games we needed to advance and win games that did not.

Whenever we needed a win we came up short.

Now we have taking steps to control that, and I am proud of it. Winning Sunday is the biggest step we can make to finally say "we are a winning team."

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. :)

I'm Norvous about this one. So yes, it is very true that winning this week should break the norvous spell, but still, losing doesn't keep it going. Let us not forget that the Giants are an excellent team, and probably should win this game.

Biggest game we've had since 99.

Winning Sunday is the biggest step we can make to finally say "we are a winning team."

No, no, no! Forget the details; we just need to make the playoffs, whether we finish 10-6 or 9-7 and whether or not we beat the Giants in the regular season. If we play the Giants and lose to them in the playoffs, nobody here is going to care that we beat them in the regular season. If we lose two regular season games to the Giants but we still make the playoffs, play the Giants in the playoffs and beat them, nobody here is going to care about losing to them in the regular season - and you'll have the bragging rights. If we make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl, I think the Giants fans up there will hate to see you coming. Man, you'll be able to talk some sh*t then! Now, with that said, let's kick some Giants butt this weekend!!!

:gaintsuck

SHAME ON YOU! :whippin:

Dude, I'm just being honest. Norvousness will do that to you.

The giants have been better than us this year, and kicked our butts royally last time. Most of the reason we killed Dallas was because of their battered O-line that didn't allow them to move the ball, and caused turnovers.

The Giants don't have that problem.

I'd love to exorcize this demon more than anything, but the truth is that they are 10-4 and we only beat the Cardinals by 4, just 10 days ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this team did great getting into the playoffs this year. That was my goal for them that I thought was realistic. If we go farther in the playoffs this year it will be gravy. I think next year is the year we start to make real noise in the playoffs. Hopefully by securing a first round bye and going forward from there.

I am happy with this team and consider this year a huge success if we don't win another game.

HTTR

Archived