Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Kerrigan 2012 highlights

NikoBellic

I can't say that I don't like Ryan, I do. But every time i think we could have had JJ Watt and how our D would be with that guy it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I am sorry Ryan and Hank don't remotely equal JJ Watt. But if somehow JJ didn't exist then I said Ryan is awesome.

Hindsight is a ***** that slaps you and keeps coming back for same........Look at the legendary hits and misses in the best draft in history.

Team Player Pos. School NFL career

1. Colts John Elway* QB Stanford 3rd all-time leading passer; 2 Super Bowl titles

2. Rams Eric Dickerson RB SMU Single-season-record 2,105 yards rushing in '84

3. Seahawks Curt Warner RB Penn State 1,449 yards as rookie; played 6 seasons after '84 ACL tear

4. Broncos Chris Hinton T Northwestern 7 Pro Bowls in 13 seasons, including one at guard

5. Chargers Billy Ray Smith OLB Arkansas 26 1/2 sacks, 15 interceptions in 10 seasons

6. Bears Jimbo Covert T Pittsburgh 2-time Pro Bowler anchored Bears line for 8 seasons

7. Chiefs Todd Blackledge QB Penn State 38 INTs, 29 TDs in 46 games over 7 seasons

8. Eagles Michael Haddix RB Mississippi State 1,635-yard rusher ... over 8 seasons

9. Oilers Bruce Matthews G Southern Cal 14 Pro Bowls, 1 Super Bowl in 19 seasons

10. Giants Terry Kinard S Clemson 31 INTs, 1 Pro Bowl in 8 seasons

11. Packers Tim Lewis DB Pittsburgh 16 INTs in three seasons; neck injury ended career in '86

12. Bills Tony Hunter TE Notre Dame Traded to Rams in 1985; career-ending injury in '86

13. Lions James Jones RB Florida 10 seasons; fullback blocked for Billy Sims, Barry Sanders

14. Bills Jim Kelly QB Miami (Fla.) 4 Super Bowls in 11 NFL seasons after USFL stint

15. Patriots Tony Eason QB Illinois 3-year starter in 8 seasons; 1 Super Bowl

16. Falcons Mike Pitts DE Alabama 7 sacks, all in rookie season; 12 seasons with three teams

17. Cardinals Leonard Smith S McNeese State 14 INTs in 9 seasons

18. Bears Willie Gault WR Tennessee 6,635 yards, 44 TDs in 11 seasons; 1 Super Bowl ring

19. Vikings Joey Browner S Southern Cal 37 INTs, 6 Pro Bowls in 10 seasons

20. Chargers Gary Anderson RB Arkansas 10,846 total yards, 76 TDs in 3 USFL, 9 NFL seasons

21. Steelers Gabriel Rivera NT Texas Tech Paralyzed in auto accident during rookie season

22. Chargers Gill Byrd CB San Jose State 42 INTs, 2 Pro Bowls in 10 seasons

23. Cowboys Jim Jeffcoat DE Arizona State 102 1/2 sacks in 15 seasons; three Super Bowl rings

24. Jets Ken O'Brien QB California-Davis Played 10 seasons; led Jets to playoffs in 1985, '86

25. Bengals Dave Rimington C Nebraska College Hall of Famer played 7 seasons

26. Raiders Don Mosebar C Southern Cal 3-time Pro Bowler in 12 seasons

27. Dolphins Dan Marino QB Pittsburgh All-time passing leader with 61,361 yards, 420 TDs

28. Redskins Darrell Green CB Texas A&I** 54 INTs, 7 Pro Bowls in 20 seasons; HOF eligible in 2008

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2007-04-17-1983-draft_N.htm#table

Also Kerrigan with Rak is different than just Kerrigan by himself. Let's see what a healthy Rak does for Ryan's development.

I agree hindsight is 20/20 but JJ Watt was not some obscure college player. The guy was awesome in college and many thought he should have gone top 5. Like I said I love Ryan K, he is a great guy, high motor, played every snap so far so its all good. But still one wonders if all this trading back stuff when you have a need and a player there for the taking is not overrated. Then again it could have been a disaster and we could have used that pick on Gabbert...

I agree hindsight is 20/20 but JJ Watt was not some obscure college player. The guy was awesome in college and many thought he should have gone top 5. Like I said I love Ryan K, he is a great guy, high motor, played every snap so far so its all good. But still one wonders if all this trading back stuff when you have a need and a player there for the taking is not overrated. Then again it could have been a disaster and we could have used that pick on Gabbert...

My point is while you might have liked JJ better the Redskins certainly did not miss on Kerrigan. And who knows how this plays out in the long run.

Considering the 3-4, JJ Watt is your prototype DE. He stuffs the run and bats down passes, in the opinion of many he has overachieved in his role thus far. But when you start comparing players from different teams, it won't make any sense unless one player is a complete bust.

I wouldn't say that Kerrigan has underachieved his role at OLB in comparison to Watt, because they're too different players who are each special in what they do. Kerrigan has shown he can play in space and apply pressure with a high motor at times, though there are some games where he disappear. A more relevant comparison would be Kerrigan's performance to Orakpo's, to this point Kerrigan has out performed Orakpo in terms of shutting an offense down.

I would love for Orakpo to stay with the team, in my perfect football dream he unleashes the beast next season, somehow

Plain and simple, we needed PICKS. We needed multiple picks to rebuild the team and have the depth that we now enjoy, over one player. True we gave up picks for Griffin, but QB and DE are two different tales. DEs don't lead you to SB victories. Watt didn't look that great in his first year with Mario Williams around. Once Williams left, Watt was able to shine with more playing time. I'm more pissed about not taking Aaron Rodgers instead of Carlos Rogers, but with Griffin on board, it lesses the pain every day. Also, I think Kerrigan does just as well as Watt (batting down passes, reading screens, making tackles) with the exception of sack totals. But Ryan is averaging around 8-9 sacks a year, so I'll take that.

Forget JJ Watt already, we could have drafted Aaron Rodgers back in the day, too; we had Campbell instead. We could have not drafted Laron or Carlos, but you can't what-if everything. Kerrigan is awesome, he doesn't miss snaps, and if it WASN'T for JJ "swatt", they would be saying such things about Kerrigan. Just look at their stats, people only like Watt THIS year because he had a burst of sacks (20, but Ryan improved on sacks as well...without Orakpo helping the cause). 2011, Ryan was statistically better in almost every way....I think it is every way actually. Watt has never intercepted a ball, let alone grab one right in front of a QB and take it to the house...twice...AND he has more forced fumbles on his career despite getting to the QB half as often this past year. Besides, would the Redskins have put the 295lb Watt at LB? LB is crucial to our 3-4, and without Kerrigan, the loss of Orakpo would have been a whoooooole lot worse...some what-if in our favor for you.

Enough of the disrespect of Ryan via 'we could have drafted Watt'. That was a brilliant draft move. /rant.

I can't say that I don't like Ryan, I do. But every time i think we could have had JJ Watt and how our D would be with that guy it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I am sorry Ryan and Hank don't remotely equal JJ Watt. But if somehow JJ didn't exist then I said Ryan is awesome.

We had already signed Bowen and Carriker, and nobody has the benefit of hindsight in the draft. Trading down but staying in the first is always a smart move. We may have gotten Watt had we stayed put, but we'd have lost out on multiple picks which we needed that year, and we'd also have a hole at OLB. Kerrigan is good in his own right, appreciate what you have. Because while you may pine for a JJ Watt, you forget about the Maybin's of the world that were also possibilities.

Plus, this is a freaking highlight thread. There are appropriate threads for whining, this one is about highlights. So either praise the highlights or critique them.

I for one liked what i saw out of Kerrigan this year and in the highlights, especially considering teams focused in on him as the primary pass rush threat with Orakpo out.

My favorite thing about Ryan Kerrigan is his honesty and sincerity as a player. He almost always criticizes himself and he doesn't do it in a self-deprecating way... he just knows where he has to improve.

A guy like that makes you comfortable. I feel pretty good about what he's going to do for us moving forward, so long as he stays healthy, God willing. And that's another thing I love about him, his durability. Just a well-built athlete who seems to know how to treat and use his body properly.

Archived