Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tom Brady runs a college offense

SkinsHokieFan

There has been much criticsm about the offense RG3 is running

"It'll be figured out!" they say

"Its a college offense! It won't last!" We hear

The critique being the alleged limited reads RG3 has to make and the simplicity of the read option offense, which is BOUND to be figured out, because well Cam Newton did last year and he was figured out! (Actually he hasn't been, Newton's numbers are great again)

Another critique of the Redskins O this year is RG3 is learning a system now that is not an "NFL" system. His growth is being stunted.

Well lets take a look at the best QB of the last decade and the offense he is now running up in New England and see where the concepts are coming from. A terrific article

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/08/patriots-huddle-relies-power-one/nHTapuVnBOwfFlffwTrN6J/story.html

With 1 word, Patriots’ no-huddle an NFL marvel

FOXBOROUGH — Just one word can be powerful.

Saying, “Help,” lets someone know a person needs assistance.

“Sorry,” can immediately heal some wounds.

“Stop,” could save someone from harm.

Yes, just one word can be potent.

The same holds true for football and the Patriots.

When the Patriots’ offense is at its best and running roughshod over opponents — like getting out to a 31-7 lead in Sunday’s 31-21 victory over the Broncos — it’s when they are going with the fast version of their no-huddle offense.

And against the Broncos, the Patriots ran it faster than ever. It was breathless with 89 offensive plays (second in team history for a non-overtime game since they had 94 in a 28-10 loss to the Steelers in 1989) and a franchise-record 35 first downs, the eighth-highest total in league history.

The NFL never has seen anything like it, and it may never be the same.

How did the Patriots run the offense that fast? What was the key?

One word.

Not one word to describe it.

The Patriots operate their no-huddle attack most often using one word as the play call.

More accurately, they use six one-word play calls a game.

That word tells all 11 players on offense everything they need to know.

Formation.

Blocking scheme.

Direction on run plays.

Routes for receiver on passing plays.

Shifts in formations.

Snap count.

Possible alerts and play alterations.

One word.

“I think the point of it is to try to get everyone going fast,” quarterback Tom Brady said recently. “So as fast as you can get the communication to your teammates, everyone can be on the line of scrimmage, then the better it is.”

The future of NFL offenses has arrived in New England. And it’s thanks to the college game.

Link for rest above

Here is the overall point. Spread/option/hurry up concepts are the future of the NFL. Quick short passes that get the ball out of RG3's hands are what the NFL will become.

In 5 years, with the types of QB's coming up through the college ranks, the NFL will have 10-15 teams running a read option element in their offense, along with a spread/no huddle.

Right now the comparision is to Andrew Luck with RG3 and how Luck is running an "NFL" offense. The problem with this being Luck is running an outdated NFL offense which is either a) forcing him to throw the ball down field or B) is so poorly designed he is making some of the worst decisions we have seen from a QB since Rex Grossman.

Tom Brady is running a college offense. One word play calls, hurry up, spread passing game with deadly accuracy.

That is the future of the offense here in DC with RG3 except RG3 is a far better runner and he posses Brady like accuracy.

That is also the future of NFL offenses. Not the outdated scheme Bruce Arians is forcing on Andrew Luck

Since football began it has followed a pattern.

Offense innovates.

defense adapts.

Offense must innovate again.

Predicting our offense won't last is like predicting I'll die someday.

eventually there will be a defense that is developed that will stop this. And then the cycle begins anew.

This is pro football. There's no such thing in pro football as a college offense. if it works against pros, it's a pro offense.

As with any defense, the challenge is simple. Stop it, or shut up. Calling it a 'college offense' after it beats you doesn't change the result

~Bang

Offense innovates.

defense adapts.

eventually there will be a defense that is developed that will stop this. And then the cycle begins anew.

This is pro football. There's no such thing in pro football as a college offense. if it works against pros, it's a pro offense.

As with any defense, the challenge is simple. Stop it, or shut up. Calling it a 'college offense' after it beats you doesn't change the result

~Bang

^This.

The "college" offense misconception began back in, what I like to call, "the day". College quarterbacks were NOT taught the fundamental techniques of the forward pass when the forward pass first became a part of the football culture. As a result, NFL quarterbacks when they were drafted sat on the bench for long amounts of time. This benefitted both the quarterback and the team. He made money for doing nothing besides hold a clipboard and learn how to properly pass, and the team was "developing" a passer.

That's gone by the wayside now. Less teams are sitting quarterbacks in year one and throwing them into the fire. Primarily because even the "gimmicky" offenses have to teach their quarterbacks proper mechanics/reads in some way, shape or form. It started decades ago. But I guess old, tired terms still haven't been washed out yet.

Offense innovates.

defense adapts.

~Bang

My only disagreement here comes with one exception. When an offense becomes successful in the copy cat league, teams typically add some type of that offense. In order to run this, you need to have a very athletic QB at this level. This eliminates about 20 some odd teams. Being that RG3 is the God of this offense in the NFL, there's barely any Pro QB that could run this, and sell out as well as RG3. His play action fakes, hand offs, pitches, pumps, moves, spins, and speed is on a sickening level. It'll be very difficult for people to COPY this, and therefore difficult for defenses to adapt as quickly as they would if the whole league runs it.

That's what barely anyone is taking into account.

And they Redskins have been adapting since week 1. In fact they've adapted far better than any team we've had in a LONG time.

To avoid confusion with my opinion, I only disagreed because I took your words as one NFL offense does something, the NFL defenses adapt. I think it goes more so year by year and how many teams run things. Wildcat got adapted to rather quickly because the amount of teams running it.

~Bang

This to me is the funniest part.

The thing for me, is that if a NFL caliber defense can't stop a "college" caliber offense, than what good is the NFL caliber defense? These idiots don't even realize they are discrediting themselves when they call our O a "college offense." It's like ok idiot, than why couldn't your "pro-level" defense stop their college offense? The pro game is supposed to be developed past the college level, so why has going back to the basics completely baffled them?

Bottom line, some people just want to discredit what the Redskins are doing with RG3. Haters gonna hate. Simple as that.

My only disagreement here comes with one exception. When an offense becomes successful in the copy cat league, teams typically add some type of that offense. In order to run this, you need to have a very athletic QB at this level. This eliminates about 20 some odd teams. Being that RG3 is the God of this offense in the NFL, there's barely any Pro QB that could run this, and sell out as well as RG3. His play action fakes, hand offs, pitches, pumps, moves, spins, and speed is on a sickening level. It'll be very difficult for people to COPY this, and therefore difficult for defenses to adapt as quickly as they would if the whole league runs it.

That's what barely anyone is taking into account.

And they Redskins have been adapting since week 1. In fact they've adapted far better than any team we've had in a LONG time.

To avoid confusion with my opinion, I only disagreed because I took your words as one NFL offense does something, the NFL defenses adapt. I think it goes more so year by year and how many teams run things. Wildcat got adapted to rather quickly because the amount of teams running it.

You're right,, obviously our offense is working because Robert is so good, and to run something similar you'll need a guy with his skillset.

the 49ers are sort of experimenting with it with Kaepernick. I have to think that Harbaugh drafted him knowing he could run this, and his ability to bring that added threat is in large part why he's won the job.

And I also believe that teams will TRY to copy this, but as you say,, they'll have to come up with a guy who can run it as effectively as Robert, or it just isn't going to be the same.

And that won't be easy.

~Bang

That is the next step in this offense, the no huddle.

Who knows, maybe it debuts playoff time? :)

Reminds me of SuperBowl XXVI when the Bills "high powered" no-huddle was supposed to give the Skins fits.. Gibbs' turned the tables and started the game with a no-huddle of our own.. The Bills, the announcers, the Metrodome, "everyone" caught off guard, as the Skins blew em' off the field!! :evilg: :point2sky

It'll be very difficult for people to COPY this, and therefore difficult for defenses to adapt as quickly as they would if the whole league runs it.

This is key. It's not just that it will be difficult to adapt to (although I think it is), but it will be a huge risk to do so. To stop this type of offense, you may very well have to completely sell out on tried and true defensive philosophies. Start playing different types of players at different positions than you would have expected. If you were a defensive coordinator that was faced with playing an offense like the Redskins 4 times a year and a traditional offense 12 times a year, would you totally re-vamp your defense for those 4 games? No, you'd roll the dice a bit and do your best to win those 12 games and hope you can get a couple of those 4. Until we start seeing wide spread use of this type of offense, defenses will try their best to stop it with what they have. If the paradigm shifts enough on offense, we'll see a paradigm shift on defense. But until that happens, the Redskins are in a very special place. No offense will benefit from the shock and awe effect they way the Redskins offense will the next couple of years. And let's be honest... Has anyone really found a way to stop Brady and the Patriots? RG3 may very well be retired before defenses figure out how to stop this offense consistently.

49ers are sort of experimenting with it with Kaepernick. I have to think that Harbaugh drafted him knowing he could run this, and his ability to bring that added threat is in large part why he's won the job.

~Bang

If you take a step back and look at what Harbaugh did to essentially copy the success we are having on offense, it's almost unprecedented. He shook up a team that had gone to (and probably should have won) the NFC Championship Game last year and was steamrolling again this year just to introduce elements of our offense.

That's quite the compliment.

Offense innovates.

defense adapts.

~Bang

If 10 years down the road offenses have switched to these types of "college" spread option game plans, and defensive players get smaller with more stamina to keep up against no-huddle attacks, some coach is going to go back to running full house backfields and power running plays. And be called a genious.

If 10 years down the road offenses have switched to these types of "college" spread option game plans, and defensive players get smaller with more stamina to keep up against no-huddle attacks, some coach is going to go back to running full house backfields and power running plays. And be called a genious.

It's the circle of life

AdultSimbaDay.jpg

...er, football.

It's happening in Stanford with David Shaw ...

(who I actually think has a copy of "Pop" Warner's 1924 playbook).

Same could be said of Harbaugh with SF, even though he wrinkles in the Kaepernick pistol, read option.

If you take a step back and look at what Harbaugh did to essentially copy the success we are having on offense, it's almost unprecedented. He shook up a team that had gone to (and probably should have won) the NFC Championship Game last year and was steamrolling again this year just to introduce elements of our offense.

That's quite the compliment.

:cheers:

You got THAT right.

~Bang

Archived