Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thom Loverro on ESPN 980: Start Rex if RG3 Can't Go

JMUSkins

Did anyone else hear Thom Loverro on the radio this afternoon... around 4:30-ish? He said he would start the Sex Cannon over Cousins if RG3 can't go. He said Rex is built for games like this and, as a veteran, can handle the playoff atmosphere.

Some callers were agitated, others complicit, and I ... almost wrecked my car.

P.S. - I apologize for even mentioning the name, as I know this may set off a firestorm. Please don't hate me for this!

Loverro is a jokester. It might sound like he's serious but I doubt he really believes it. He's the same guy that thought Beck would beat out Rex last year and was calling for him to start until he got his shot and threw up on himself in the game.

Rex has a better run game this year and better WR..it's not a complete terrible idea. With that said i'm about 99.99999999999999% sure RG3 or Kirk will be starting.

I think you are correct. As they mentioned on the show, Rex is 'doughy' these days. I expect him to suit up, though... just in case.

I don't mind Rex but I just fear that game changing INT or fumble he always seems to commit. Yes, he can put up more yards and maybe more TDs than a raw Cousins, but we know what we get from Rex and in a game like this I'm not sure I trust him.

Point is moot, though. RGIII will be under center on Sunday.

Loverro should be taken with a grain of salt. He is wrong ALL THE TIME. I'd say like 99% of what comes out his mouth is hogwash...and he has a terrible voice to boot.

He really does have a terrible voice. I can't put my finger on who he sounds like, though. Almost like a 65 year old man with a teenager's voice.... definitely made for newspaper :D

If the Redskins had an offensive line that could protect a straight drop back passing game, it should be Rex no questions asked.

However the Redskins do not have an offensive line that can pass protect, and though Kirk may not have the speeed of RG3, he's not a statue and can run a game plan (stretch/boots) that will give the Redskins coaching staff the ability to continue to hide the line. Thus he should be the starting QB.

Either way there needs to be a heavy dose of the butler.

I don't mind Rex but I just fear that game changing INT or fumble he always seems to commit. Yes, he can put up more yards and maybe more TDs than a raw Cousins, but we know what we get from Rex and in a game like this I'm not sure I trust him.

I'm with you... I'd like to see Cousins play instead, but either is fine with me. No big deal here.

A caller made a great point. If Grossman were to start, the Browns would actually blitz more. Whereas when Griffin was playing, teams are more reluctant to blitz because of his threat to run. If you were to put Cousins out there who is more athletic than Rex, I would have more confidence in him making plays with his feet.

I don't think it's a horrible idea. A hostile crowd and hot defense... Rex could manage that with other players stepping up. But the staff really likes Cousins, so I trust them entirely.

But if RGIII were ruled out and Cousins threw three INTs in the first half, I'd want Shanny to make the move to Rex in the second half to see if we could steal a game.

Uhhhh...I get upset when I see Rexy talking to RG3 during a game...I don't want him to infect Robert with his mediocrity

---------- Post added December-12th-2012 at 06:56 PM ----------

Besides, when's the last time you think Rex even thought about playing in a game? I haven't seen him dress out for a game since the first few weeks of the season. He'd be coming in off the couch!

I don't believe Rex has even dressed for a game this season and that's just the way that I like it. I said this when they signed him a couple of years ago, Grossman will only play within the confines of a system for a limited time, then he turns into the QB that will eventually just chuck it down the field and see what happens...spoiler alert...it's usually not a good result for his team.

Let's not underestimate Cleveland, they should have beat Dallas, Philly and a couple of other teams. Behind our line, I'd prefer Cousins' mobility to Grossman's proclivity to fall victim to the sack/fumble.

I was just talking to somebody about Rex. I am confident that all three QBs can play against anybody. I think our offensive scheme is that good.

I just keep thinking about the way Rex came back after he was yanked/injured and he was okay.

I agree with this. Rex is more than capable at running this offense. But it's looking very good that RGIII will pay this week. Which is fine by me :). Hail.

If the Redskins had an offensive line that could protect a straight drop back passing game, it should be Rex no questions asked.

However the Redskins do not have an offensive line that can pass protect, and though Kirk may not have the speeed of RG3, he's not a statue and can run a game plan (stretch/boots) that will give the Redskins coaching staff the ability to continue to hide the line. Thus he should be the starting QB.

Either way there needs to be a heavy dose of the butler.

I disagree. Rex's arm isn't even close to Cousins' or RG3's. He'd compress the field and give up about 4 picks.

Archived