Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles AT Redskins History, Anecdotes, and Fan Memories

kleese

The bolded text is all new...posted 9-2-13 in prep for week one vs. Philly.

I did one of these threads for each game last year and they seemed to get a pretty good response. For many of our games I will start a new thread....but for the repeats of opponents from last year, I will simply bump the old thread (if I can find it) and add any new info. The numbers below have been updated through the 2012 season.

The point of these threads is simply to reminisce a bit---the more specific fans get with their personal memories (where you where at that time etc.) the better.

Please remember that for our division opponents, the stats compiled are only for the history of where the game is being played that week. For example, this week, all we are talking about is the history of the Eagles AT Redskins-- games in Philly are not included. We will look at that when we visit them later.

As always, I start my count in 1937 when we moved to DC

--Redskins are 39-34-3 vs Eagles in Washington

--Redskins lost first meeting in Washington in 1937 14-0

--Redskins longest win streak is 5 games (1938-1942)

--Redskins longest losing streak is 6 games (1946-1951)

--The Redskins were 18-8-2 all time vs Eagles at RFK (Eagles won last 4 played there)

--The Redskins are 6-10 all time vs the Eagles at FedEx Field

My Memories:

I have a ton of Eagles memories as I'm sure most fans do, but oddly enough, I'd say most of them come from games played in Philly. I just don't have that many Eagles games played in DC that really stick out to me. Here are some that do

--1989: We dominated the Eagles back in Washington back in those days, and that's why this game felt almost insulting to lose. At different points that day the Redskins led 20-0, 27-7, 30-14, 37-28, and they STILL lost. Randall Cunningham had an absurd day...threw for 450 yards and 5 TD's, including one to Keith Jackson late to clinch the 42-37 victory. The 1989 Redskins were good, but got off to a slow start (0-2) and in many ways, this game haunted them the rest of the season.

--1990: Vague memories here. Ugly, ugly game...We led 13-0, but had to hold on late...Fred Barnett caught a TD from Randall to close to within 6, but we were able to hang on.

--1991: Third straight shutout to start the season at home...amazing. 1991 was the year Randall tore up his knee week one and the Eagles wound up wasting an incredible year from their defense. Their offense was putrid. We didn't let them breath that Monday Night. Jim McMahon started...not sure if we knocked him out or he got pulled, but Pat Ryan and anothe scrub QB would enter the game before it was over. The three QBs barely combined for 50 yards passing. An absolutley dominating effort from the D, winning 23-0.

--1992: Similar to 1990, ugly game, we held a nice held all day, but the Eagles broke through late to make it tight....held on to win 16-12; big win at the time as it tied us with the Eagles at 4-2.

--1996: I remember being very frustrated with this season opener. My freshmen year of college, had been on campus about three weeks, so that weekend I went home with my roomate for a little home cooking from his family...watched the game at his house....was pretty letdown. Decent game, Terry Allen had a long TD run to make the score 17-14 in the third, but neither team did much after that and that was the final score. We did go on to win our next 7 games...and somehow still missed the playoffs.

--1999: One of those classic Norv games where we won, but it felt like a loss. Crusing with a 17-3 lead, McNabb (rookie year) brings the Eagles back to tie, and we squeek it out in OT. Didn't Brian Mitchell have a big return to set up the game winner? I might be making that up....this is the game where I knew McNabb would be good.

--2001: Most people seem to remember the Marty season for the five game win streak...I remember the three home losses (Cowboys, Eagles, Bears) that followed. The Cowboys were terrible and ended our streak, but this game with the Eagles was still huge....we looked good early, but couldn't punch the ball in the end zone. Close at halftime, but the Eagles dominated the second half...pretty much ended realistic playoff hopes.

--2002: The Spurrier "lip flap" game

--2007: Another blown lead (kind of a theme vs the Eagles in DC).... But this game will always be remembered for one play...third and forever for Eagles....we give up a long pass and the Eagles get the first by a yard...make that stop and we probably win the game. Most importantly, Sean Taylor is injured on the play...his last play as a Redskin.

--2010: The Monday Night Massacre. Michael Vick was a video game that night; we were humiliated. I am a moron because for about ten seconds that night, I thought we were going to make a comeback when we scored twice in a row to make it 35-14. How is it even possible to score 45 points in a half? Fat Albert took a nap on one play, which at least gave us some comic relief. It will never get more embarrasing than that night.

--2011: A pretty "blah" game, but memorable for me because I was there with my Dad...my first and only ES tailgate appearance, and I loved every minute of it and meeting so many members of the board. Great memories from the parking lot, not so hot from the stadium. I thought we might have a shot when Vince Young gave us a gift with an INT to Hall, but Rex kept finding Eagles DBs and a so-so comeback attempt from John Beck fell short.

--2012: Honestly, this one likely won't be one I remember down the road. I only mention it because it was last year and because it kick started our run. The Eagles had very little interest in competing that day. Easy win from the outset. RG3 had an absurd statistical performance aided by some good luck.

Through most of my life, Philly has owned us.

My first memories of them was either the 98/99 season and we won...don't remember much obviously

I remember both 2005 games because we won both and all of my friends at school were hop on Iggle fans and beating them was a big deal. The first was on SNF on ESPN then of course the pinnacle of my Skins fanhood was Sean taking the fumble to the house.

I remember the 2007 games as well. We won the first one on MNF and I vividly remember throwing that pretty td to Cooley. Then the second one sucked because it was Sean's last game and Westbrook took that screen to the house.

I remember the 2008 first game against them because afterwards, I thought we were heading to a 10+ win season. I was at the 2008 game and I just remember the last drive where McNabb was trying to lead them back (Jackson dropped a TD pass) but Landry and Rogers stopped Brown on the 1

2009...ehh. I was at the MNF game and it sucked. Jackson went wild and scored a TD and danced right in front of me (hate that *****) and Campbell threw a pick six.

2010...I was present. Monday Night Massacre. Lowest point of my fanhood. Section next to me was 100% Iggles fans. All I remember was it raining, hearing "Fly Iggles Fly" a lot, and hearing the chant of "5 more years!!" after every McNabb **** up

I hate the Iggles with a ******* passion. More than any other team.

---------- Post added November-17th-2012 at 12:27 AM ----------

and of course I just read that this was first home games only lol

That game was in Philly

Our home game against Philly in 05 was actually a good one too. One of the few I attended. McNabb threw a long TD pass to Reggie Brown early in the game. We ended up winning 17-10. Ryan Clark intercepted McNabb late in the 4th to seal the game. I believe that game was sold out, or at least close to sold out. Band was jamming in the hall after the game.

I remember the home game vs Philly at the end of '08 where we shut them down 10-3 when Landry kept Reggie Brown out of the end zone.

I think that was only game where Jason Taylor did anything in his one season in DC.

yup. smoot and landry kept brown out of the endzone with seconds to play. and taylor had a strip-sack which london recovered. besides the monday night massacre in 2010, I don't really remember anything special about playing the eagles at home the last few years.

--2007: Another blown lead (kind of a theme vs the Eagles in DC).... But this game will always be remembered for one play...third and forever for Eagles....we give up a long pass and the Eagles get the first by a yard...make that stop and we probably win the game. Most importantly, Sean Taylor is injured on the play...his last play as a Redskin.

Only Eagle memory that comes to mind for me, as this one is quite sentimental. Although I'd never lived in the DMV area, I've been a Skins fan ever since I can remember, and never had the opportunity to make a game until I moved for work to PA in March of '07. Being so close, I had to finally make it happen, and this was the game I chose. I came, proudly sporting the jersey of my favorite player on the planet, the late great Sean Taylor, never knowing that my first live Redskins experience would include me wearing Sean's jersey at the last game he would every play.

Still have the jersey and ticket from the game, and one of these days, I'm going to finally getting around to framing it. RIP 21, we miss you every day, and a lot more on Sundays this time of year.

Here's to being thankful to make a new memory this Sunday as I get to be in attendance again and hope we smash Philthy in the mouth.

Hail.

The play that set up the winning points in 2000 was a Green INT if I remember correctly. I love these threads!

We are both wrong actually.... I had a typo... The 2000 game I referenced was actually 1999 (I fixed the OP).

The game you are referring to took place at The Vet in 2000. Tied at 14 late, DG picked off McNabb and had a nice return that set up the game winning FG.

Ugh.......that '89 game was brutal. As I recall, Gerald Riggs had a big day (over 200 yds on the ground) for us but had a key fumble as we were trying to run out the clock in Philly's end of the field which Philly returned to our end, setting up Cunningham's winning TD pass.

The 2004 game at FedEx was interesting in some ways. That was Philly's Super Bowl appearance-year with T.O. but we went toe-to-toe with them that night, finally falling when Patrick Ramsey threw a late INT into the corner of the end zone. Wasn't Pinkston open for a long TD catch but got alligator arms when he heard the footsteps of ST #21?

And the 2005 game was sweet, as that was the first game of T.O.'s suspension by the Eagles and the aforementioned Ryan Clark INT late was awesome.....to see the Eagles fans, who had walked out of FedEx triumphantly too often in the years before, hang their heads that night, was great!!

The most memorable home Eagles game for me was 12/16/73. Nine inches of snow that day - most of it coming down during the game. Larry Brown and Billy Kilmer had field days. The field was covered with snow throughout the game, but Kilmer was still able to complete many intermediate and a few long passes. Redskins won, 38-20, though the game was even more lopsided than the score indicated.

This was the same day O.J. broke the 2,000 yard barrier at Shea.

The most memorable home Eagles game for me was 12/16/73. Nine inches of snow that day - most of it coming down during the game. Larry Brown and Billy Kilmer had field days. The field was covered with snow throughout the game, but Kilmer was still able to complete many intermediate and a few long passes. Redskins won, 38-20, though the game was even more lopsided than the score indicated.

This was the same day O.J. broke the 2,000 yard barrier at Shea.

Cool story....and it's funny because it must point to global warming or something because in my 30 years of fandom I can't recall one Redskins game played in the snow...a few road games with flurries, but nothing even close at home.

Cool story....and it's funny because it must point to global warming or something because in my 30 years of fandom I can't recall one Redskins game played in the snow...a few road games with flurries, but nothing even close at home.

Recall the '82 game at RFK vs the Giants where Moseley hit a GWFG at the gun to also set the then-consecutive FG made record was in the snow.

Recall the '82 game at RFK vs the Giants where Moseley hit a GWFG at the gun to also set the then-consecutive FG made record was in the snow.

that game made me a skins fan...

chance for many negative streaks to end...

haven't beaten the eagles at home since 2008.

the o-fer vs rookie qb's.

coaches o-fer post bye week since coming here.

First of all, I guess that barely makes the 30 year cut... Talk about feeling old :)

Yes, I do remember it... 15-14, right? But my recollection is of rain with some flurries....nasty day indeed. But I don't remember there being snow on the ground? Was it snowing that day?

Yes, I do remember it... 15-14, right? But my recollection is of rain with some flurries....nasty day indeed. But I don't remember there being snow on the ground? Was it snowing that day?

I think you're probably more right, Kleese. Probably heavier than flurries but not the classic "field covered with snow" atmosphere like the '73 game CTaylor described.

---------- Post added November-18th-2012 at 08:21 AM ----------

1991 we beat the Eagles 23-0 and it was when you knew that team was special but my favorite was 1990 when we got revenge on thr Eagle for the Body Bag Game. Looked gloomy when everything thought Earnest Byner fumbled but play overturned and the Redskins never looked back

The BBG revenge playoff game was also an away one (at the Vet). Its tough to place any Redskins victory on par with the three Super Bowls or '82 NFCCG against Dallas, but there aren't many games I've wanted the Skins to win more than that one in January 1991.

The 2000 home loss sticks our vividly to me. I believe Lavar was slated to spy McNabb that day and got knocked out of the game on the opening kickoff. Jeff George started for the Skins, and played pretty well. But in typical Norv fashion, we found a way to lose to a team whose only effective play was the QB scramble. The next week, the Norv Turner era would thankfully finally end with another painful home loss to a rival (the Giants).

First of all, I guess that barely makes the 30 year cut... Talk about feeling old :)

I was at that game. There was wet snow in the second half that was briefly heavy enough to whiten the grass outside the stadium. I was sitting high enough to peek through the "vents" of RFK to monitor it.

That was also the game where Joey T. became a "Piglett" for throwing a nice block on a sweep.

1982 Super Bowl Season. My very first game attended. My great uncle had season tickets and called to see if I wanted to go because my great aunt was sick and nobody else wanted to go. It was about 45 degrees and raining. We were under the overhang in the upper deck where the Redskins come out of the dugout. My uncle brought 2 thermoses, one with coffee and one with hot chocolate. I was 14 and had a little of both.

I think Charlie Brown caught a long TD pass and we won 13-9. Very wet, rainy, Hog-like conditions. I remember alot of handoffs on both sides. Riggins had over 100 yards.

*** Just looked it up. 38 degrees, Brown caught a 65 yarder and Riggins went for only 52 yards. I was way off on the rushing. Jaworski had an awful day. 18-42, 4 Ints.

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 01:44 PM ----------

I was at that game. There was wet snow in the second half that was briefly heavy enough to whiten the grass outside the stadium. I was sitting high enough to peek through the "vents" of RFK to monitor it.

That was also the game where Joey T. became a "Piglett" for throwing a nice block on a sweep.

And he busted the ends off his front teeth. He told the sideline reporter he was going to see a dentist.

• 9 months later...

Archived