Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Coaches Film Breakdown: Robert Griffin III anticipating open receivers

Truant

This article is posted in the Breaking News part of the forum, but I thought it would be useful to post here. The playoffs are possible. We could win the division. But if not there is still much to observe.

We HAVE a franchise QB. Probably the most difficult piece to acquire in all sports is on our roster, and he's as good as advertised. That alone makes this a compelling season to watch.

Here is a fantastic example of how just one play should make us very excited about the future.

If the Redskins end up irrelevant and playing out the string in December, at least QB Robert Griffin III’s development would provide some intrigue. Griffin has significant room to grow as a thrower, and we’re seeing his evolution each week.

It will be interesting to see whether the Redskins have him take more straight dropbacks from under center in the second half of the season than he did during the first nine games. I’m also eager to see if he starts taking more risks to measure what throws he can get away with. He has been so careful to protect the ball – a positive, overall – that some big plays appear to have escaped the Redskins.

One element of his evolution, in particular, was evident in the second half against Carolina on Nov. 4. Griffin completed several long passes by anticipating receivers getting open. It’s an indication he knows the Redskins’ offensive scheme, their personnel and that he is getting comfortable reading defenses.

Is it our coaches are afraid to let him throw or afraid of letting our receivers catch?

Considering the # of drops we've had, I think it's the latter. If/When Garcon comes back I expect things to start going vertical quickly.

I do think they've held him back a little bit, and will slowly open up the playbook, but right now I think it's probably about 2 parts latter, one part former.

I'm looking forward to our passing game next year and in the future. If our WR corp steps up, or we get acquire a major talent, we could have a very dangerous group.

Thanks for the link. This should calm down some fears that Rob cannot develop into a pocket passer. Hopefully in the second half we will see more deep routes and see some drop backs from under center. It seems that is what most fans are anticipating to see at this point.

Robert is not the reason we don't run a drop back passing game. Wrs and an o line are in my opinion.

Our problem is that the only lineman that we can trust to block for more than 3 seconds is Trent, so were stuck with short passes. You saw it last game when Polumbus allowed like 3 straight sacks. When we drop back, Griffin is usually soon under pressure. W rely on misdirection to get big plays.

I wish they would just let Robert play. Coaches are forcing the dual-threat and it's messing with things. When Cousins played vs. Atlanta (Griff concussion) they played a conventional offense and he threw the ball down field. Let Robert do the same. He's going to make plays and move/run when needed... they don't trust him, which makes no sense! HTTR!

Robert is not the reason we don't run a drop back passing game. Wrs and an o line are in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I agree. It's amazing to see a guy the size of Polumbus tossed to the side so easily and honestly it looks like he is really fighting hard out on the field. Hopefully JB will come back energized, but I remember him getting pushed around too before he went down.

Nice breakdown OP, thanks.

Without play action working, I think he will need to anticipate well to be able to get the ball down the field. Our OL is just not currently affording him the time to let the deep routes develop, and our OC is not calling plays that roll out the pocket, to slow down the rush.

Considering the # of drops we've had, I think it's the latter. If/When Garcon comes back I expect things to start going vertical quickly.

I'm looking forward to our passing game next year and in the future. If our WR corp steps up, or we get acquire a major talent, we could have a very dangerous group.

Hmmm I heard from a Colts fan Garcon has a problem with dropping balls too. From what he said Garcon is not the answer as a sure handed reciever.

I have a very good feeling that we've used the bye week to install a more "traditional" offensive look that we will use in conjunction with the zone-read offense.

I sure hope so, would love to see the kids arm on display the next few weeks and give opposing defense a whole new look..

Archived