Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Winners did Shanny bring here to DC?

skinfan2k

In the last twenty years 46.12% of all the NFL regular season games were decided by 7 or less points and 23.59% of the football games were decided by 3 or less.

In the 3 years here, he has indicated that he has brought this roster from one of the oldest to one of the youngest. Ok thats great but where is the transition. The players on this team still have no clue how to close out games and have no idea how to react in big games.

Simply put, this team has losers. London Fletcher has been on loser teams his entire career besides his rookie season. DeAngelo Hall has not seen winning anywhere he has been. I remember a few years ago SkinsFanHokie wrote a thread about how we would regret signing him here. Who else on this defense has experience winning? Barry Cofield? Is that it?

How about the offense? Hmm. Moss and Cooley and those guys really had to work their asses to get in the playoff those 2 years.

Absolutely no one on this team knows how to win. RG3 may be the first person on this offense that shows the will to win.

Thoughts? We have a long road still. You can improve the roster but this team still hasn't learned how to close games and win tight ball games under Shanny which is scary after 3 years. This is the exact same problem that we had with Gibbs and Zorn.

So 1 player. wow! thats quite the accomplishment!

All free agent signings need to be former Super Bowl Champions? Josh Morgan was part of a San Fran team that went to the NFCC. So did McNabb. Willie Parker won a SB. Garcon has been to a SB. Bowen has been a part of 10+ win teams. Jamal Brown won a SB (on IR). Meriweather has played in at least one SB. Cedric Griffin went to a NFCC.

There is zero correlation there between players that have been on winning teams and contributing for the Redskins.

If you're going to claim that players need to have already won Super Bowls in the NFL to "know how to win" you should really attempt to support your argument.

This is one thing that I think is overlooked by all when looking at this team and where they truly are.

We have heard year in and year out, "this is a different team, we got a new piece that is worth atleast a td more a game/td less a game and based off our games last year, we would have 3-5 more wins which would put us in the playoffs"

The fact is (and I am one who has done the above in the past) we are not disciplined and the players/coaches do not really seem like they care out on the field. They move like snails and play as soft as any team in the league.

I'm just going to take a couple teams from last year (who have been pretty bad over the last couple years as well) and look at their "close" games and you all can see how they are today:

Cleveland:

2012: loss by 1, 7, 7, 4 (4)

2011: loss by 7, 1, 3, 3, 6, 4 (6)

2010: loss by 3, 2, 7, 6, 4, 7, 2 (7)

Miami:

2012: loss by 3, 3, 3 (3)

2011: loss by 1, 3, 3, 1, 3 (5)

2010: loss by 8, 1, 3, 3, 7 (5)

Carolina:

2012: loss by 6, 2, 4, 5, 1 (5)

2011: loss by 7, 7, 5, 3, 3, 8 (6)

2010: loss by 2, 1 (2) *** this was a very bad team

Washington:

2012: loss by 3, 7, 7, 4, 8 (5)

2011: loss by 2, 7, 8, 3, 7, 7 (6)

2010: loss by 3, 3, 4, 1, 3, 3 (6)

I guess my question here is what is the difference between us and the teams mentioned? What is the difference between us and the teams that are on the other end? What does it take to turn that corner?

Looking back, the only real notable wins are:

2012: Minny? NO? - not really notable wins seeing how things are playing out

2011: Giants twice

2010: Eagles, GB & Chicago

2009: nobody

******This isn't say we are one of these teams (well kind of is) - I think the changes are visible but the results are the same. This is more so of what is the difference between us and the ones who are at the bottom and what gets teams over that hump?

You can't do "young" and "experienced" at the same time. You do "young" to build the team together and get the experience, then they all become winners.

Exactly. I want a team that grow together. That's why we should have cut ties with Moss and Fletcher.

You can't do "young" and "experienced" at the same time. You do "young" to build the team together and get the experience, then they all become winners.

I'm not sure on that, I think you will always see a mix of some sort. It's hardly ever that you see both young or both old (seems like it's always a seasoned and hard nosed defense with a young offense -- outside of the qb's)

I'm not sure on that, I think you will always see a mix of some sort. It's hardly ever that you see both young or both old (seems like it's always a seasoned and hard nosed defense with a young offense -- outside of the qb's)

You're right but that's why you build the majority of the team with youth that develops together and add "winners" in leadership roles. Guys like Fletcher, Cofield, Garcon, Merriweather. Guys that have been there and know what it takes.

It's the same reason he brought in guys like Willie Parker and Joey Galloway that first year. He wasn't expecting them to be part of the core group but instead bring leadership and set an example.

Funny thing is that when you look at the list, all of our players that were starters for Super Bowl teams have almost all been hurt. Meriweather, Garçon, Jamal Brown, and even Fletch's play has been hindered by injury. Grossman obviously doesn't see the field. If we actually had those hurt guys on the field, things might look different.

two more years of medicracy then we become real threats to the division and nfc east. after that time our salary cap penalities will be gone and we will start having draft picks again in the 1st round. The hard thing is we now can actually see the light, when before there was no light. Let this thing work. Its like when you make a really good soup, you have to add the ingrediants then let it simmer to perfection.

So you're saying you wish we had signed Manning and Moss? Since both have been to Super Bowls and Manning won 1? That Grossman or McNabb, who both have SB games on their resume, should be our QB over this unproven rookie we've got mucking things up? :ols: That Parker is a better back right now than Morris because he has a ring?

Yes, you can't have a team made up entirely of 21-23 year olds, mostly rookies, because there will be no experience and no leadership. A bump in the road can turn into a slump very easily. The Buccaneers last year are a good example of that. But you can't sign all castoffs from former SB winners, especially if those glory years are way in the past.

Archived