Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offense! Offense! Disregard the defense another year in 2013! Here's why!

skinfan2k

Talking at Lunch with a couple of buddies and we were talking about what the Redskins strategy could be this offseason.

We were talking about how the Redskins should be aggressively looking to help RG3 and the offense this offense to get this offense into a top 7 unit. This unit already is a top 15 unit in this league and adding a few more pieces would do wonders to this offense. Adding another playmaker like a Tavon Austin or a big possession Receiver this offense (Bowe, i know he is a headcase, but he is just an example i am listing).

Adding talent to a already terrible defense would not have as much marginal benefits as it would if we added pieces on the offense. This defense would need to add a cornerback potentially to replace Hall, a potential LB to replace London and then adding safeties if Merriweather doesn't look like he belongs after he comes back from his injury. Do we look to free agency for stop-gaps again on the defense while adding young and premier talent to the offense? Do we just wait for Orakpo and others to come back from injury and hope for this front 7 to create pressure?

With the defense looking like it will be changing coordinators, is it really worth putting our entire attention on improving this defense and making it into a mid-tier defense (20th-25th rank) defense.

It seems like we could have RG3 talking a similar path like Peyton where the offense has to carry the burden of the weight for his early part of his career where as other QBs like Eli, Brady had a great defense to help them win.

Thoughts?

Offense is well on their way and once our guys come back we should be OK. I seriously see us drafting a big, speedy TE and maybe a mid round WR but mainly focusing on Defense. The main reason why is because if we get a new D Coordinator, you should let him have a say in who he wants when assembling his core unit.

We're already a top 7 offense though. Number three overall in total yds, 6th in yds/gm and 7th in points/gm; and in the top 10 in most other categories (including 4th in yds/reception and 2nd in yds/pass attempt).

I do agree to some extent though. Rodgers has had a terrible D behind him for years and they still find themselves winning double digit games. If RG3 had half the playmakers that Rodgers has, we would be walking away from teams early and often.

Edit: I know Bowe is somewhat of a headcase, but I'd like to see him in the B&G. I think Shanahan can get him to buy into the system. With Bowe, Garcon, Davis, and Moss in the slot, we'd be scary.

A #1 wide receiver and/or a #1 CB are equal needs, IMO.

And there is a chance the Skins already have the WR, but no chance that they have a #1 corner. So I agree with you, but I think they need to get the corner first. This offense, offense, offense and more offense is what they have now, Defense is needed to keep teams from outscoring your high flying offense.

I would have to disagree.

It would be different if we needed a francise QB, but I think the guy we picked up in the draft this year, might be ok ;-)

If this season has showed us anything so far, it's that it doesn't matter if you can score 30 points a game, if your defence is letting in 37!

I know that the NFL has become more of a passing league, but I believe the odd adage applies, Offense wins game, Defense wins championships.

And there is a chance the Skins already have the WR, but no chance that they have a #1 corner. So I agree with you, but I think they need to get the corner first. This offense, offense, offense and more offense is what they have now, Defense is needed to keep teams from outscoring your high flying offense.
I don't regard Garcon as a #1. I have him as a decent #2.

The goal is to make the greatest improvement in the team, not to equalize offense and defense.

...I know that the NFL has become more of a passing league, but I believe the odd adage applies, Offense wins game, Defense wins championships.
Can you explain why preventing the opponent from scoring seven points is more important than scoring seven points if the goal is to win championships?

The goal is to make the greatest improvement in the team, not to equalize offense and defense.

Thats why I rather have a top 5 offense and a #25 ranked defense instead of a Top 10 offense and a #18 ranked defense.

It will take some shrewd maneuvering by Allen and Mike to improve the team to a level we would like. The cap situation, extending Davis?, etc...

I'd love to get Bowe, but feel Garcon is their WR1 choice. I cannot see them spending WR1 type money in the offseason. That money will go to the CB position in all likelihood.

I understand the idea, but disagree. Getting a healthy Garcon back, with Hank #2 and moss in the slot should be good. Our offense is playing pretty well this year without our star WR, with him it could be a big addition.

Defensively, i think we will cut Hall and sign a #1 CB (DMC, Sean Smith, Grimes), use our 2nd rounder for the best available cb to play the nickle. we still need a fs and LB/DL/OL depth which can be addressed with the additonal draft picks. just my opinion

To be fair...

There are only a handful of #1's in the NFL: Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne and MAYBE Brandon Marshall.

Getting a #1 receiver would be a major luxury unless come draft time the BPA is a guy we think could be a #1 receiver, and it's not likely to happen in round 2.

It will take some shrewd maneuvering by Allen and Mike to improve the team to a level we would like. The cap situation, extending Davis?, etc...

I'd love to get Bowe, but feel Garcon is their WR1 choice. I cannot see them spending WR1 type money in the offseason. That money will go to the CB position in all likelihood.

I think it should be determined by who is available. The BPA concept works in both draft and free agency. Okay to stretch a little for need but not too far.

If your strategy is to pick higher in the 2nd round then disregarding defense would be the way to go. I agree there are issues still with the Offense. Davis may not be able to return to form next year and the young WR group hasn't been proven yet. Skins could easily use a TE, an upgrade at RT, and a more legit #2 WR. The Offense would be better but we'd still lose 10+ games.

I think the Skins will be best served by acquiring more talent on defense. First, Skins aren't going to switch back to the 4-3 because we don't have the draft picks or free agent money to completely revamp the Defense. It's easier to improve upon what we have than to tear it down and build from scratch. Since there are so many needs it's probably best to stick fairly closely to BPA (except for QBs). If Shanny gets a new DC (I don't think he will) it will be done immediately after the end of the season and the new DC will have time to participate in the draft and player acquisition.

To be fair...

There are only a handful of #1's in the NFL: Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne and MAYBE Brandon Marshall.

Getting a #1 receiver would be a major luxury unless come draft time the BPA is a guy we think could be a #1 receiver, and it's not likely to happen in round 2.

Vincent Jackson was a second round pick; Marshall was a fourth round pick. I agree, though it's not likely to get a #1 WR or a number one CB in the second round. But those acquistions would help us most, I think.

I would focus more on the defensive side of the ball when it comes to free agency and drafting, and it's just not the secondary but the whole defense in itself that needs to be looked at. Getting Rak back will help, but I think that the first big change should come at coordinator and then go from there. If we do look at offense, the depth along the oline needs to be looked at and maybe a receiver, but that would not be high on my list. Isn't it nice not to have to finally worry about qb and rb going into the offseason now! Hail

We have a potential Franchise QB, he will make it work, with just about anyone ... .

Brady? He made Givens, he's making Hernandez, Gronk, and he made Branch. You give him a Moss ... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. But he won 3 Super bowls with no real supporting cast on O.

Brees? Colston is a great story ... without Brees he's not a pro bowler. I firmly belive that. I bet that Graham is no better than Winslow or Shockey on any other team with an average QB.

Manning? Don't get me started ... sure Reggie and Marvin were all world, and it is no surprise he did what he did with them, but the other guys? Gonzalez? Clark? If you gave Peyton anyone at WR he still would have killed, maybe not at the sick level he did with Reggie and Marvin, but he would have killed. Look at what he's doing with Decker and the other kid.

Eli? Cruz woudl not be Cruz any where else ... look at Steve Smith? Manningham, Kevin Boss? They are not half the receivers they were in NY.

Romo sits to pee? You put Ogletree, Austin and Robinson on any other team ... they are not the same. In fact Robinson has less catches this year so far than he did TD's last year.

QB makes everyone better ...

so, hell no! we need D help, and we need it ASAP. Robert will take care of the rest.

Eh...I think the biggest offensive hole is RT, and that's pretty much it.

What are the offensive positions and are they set for us?

QB: Set

RB: Morris as power/workhorse back, Helu as speed back (when healthy)

OL: Williams is set; Lich has earned another year; Monty has quietly been solid; Chester is iffy, but his heir apparent is probably on the roster already (LeRib, or Hurt); the only spot in desperate need of a shift is RT.

WR: Assuming we let Moss and Banks go, we'd have Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, Briscoe, and Robinson. We'll add someone, but it'll probably be developmental depth, unless we decide to go all in for Bowe or something.

TE: Fred Davis is a solid #1, Paulson has been surprisingly competent as a #2, Paul is still developing.

FB: Young is solid.

The only major weak spot right now is RT, with the second weak spot probably being RG, but we've got developing options there.

We could see an upgrade from a big solid WR, but I think, in terms of W/L, the gains from focusing heavily on defense will far outweigh the gains from focusing on offense, so long as we still address RT.

To be fair...

At this point in their careers, I would probably rank Marshall ahead of Wayne, but that's an opinion thing.

Archived