Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL : Hypothetical worst case scenario: who becomes the team captain if Fletcher doesn't re-sign?

Chadwiko

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Hey ES'ers,

As the topic title suggests, if something terrible happens and London Fletcher does not return to the Burgundy and Gold for the 2012 season, who would step up to be the captain of the defense, as well as the 'spiritual leader' of the team?

Orakpo is the likely candidate. He's a very solid starter who's been here in the B&G longer than most on the defense. He's also more stable than Hall. Nobody else really stands out. Cofield and Carriker are long shots I guess.

The only other thing I could think would be if we signed a stub ILB in FA who Shanahan felt was captain material (unlikely), or if Riley suddenly became captain material.

Voted Orakpo, think that Coefield/Carriker would also be good options. Kerrigan likely too young.

Defense is easy, there are options: Coefield, Orakpo, Kerrigan.

But offense? Its barren over there bro. Santana Moss would be an option; If he's with the team, that is. Cooley, same story. Short of those two, I can't pull a single name on O. Will Montgomery?

Would hope RG3 will fill the void soon. Being QB can in a way override the youth factor and I think the guys on offense will know how much faith the organization has in him based on the trade we made.

I'd say Orakpo on defense, and I think it will be clear by the end of training camp that Griffin is a natural born leader. Unlike a guy like Sanchez, who the Jets have to continually attempt to manufacture into a captain, despite the team not buying it for a second.

RG3 will walk in to the locker room his first day of practice and own it. Not to mention that he has talent the offense, and team, can believe in.

I mean, Garcon would have signed with SD if we hadn't made the trade for Griffin.

Think about that for a second.

He chose Griffin over Rivers, in the end.

More problematic, who calls the defense shifts, I think fletcher better re sign soon or we are going to be hard pressed to find a replacement with the market dwindling.

K. Fox still on the team? He could be an interesting underdog for the starting position opposite Riley if Fletcher doesn't re-sign. Being Spanos' man from Pittsburgh, he knows the defense like the back of his hand, is a respected veteran, and an underrated player.

Not an ideal situation, but I have to think he's our best in-house option if it comes to that.

I'd put my money on Coefield, who was a leader with the NYG.

didn't have to scroll down too far to agree with someone. I love Orakpo (though I was critical last year, he got MUCH better at his run defense as the year progressed) but it needs to be a more grizzled vet like a Cofield.

Keep in mind, Cofield won't be on the field every play, though.

Archived