Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Avoiding Gridlock: TWELVE (+) Different Approaches To FedExField & Lot Access Advice

Mark The Homer

There is no reasons to get stuck in game day traffic if you take some simple precautions.

The following paragraph was sent by email from the Senior VP of Operations of the Washington Redskins:

We advise all fans to arrive as early as possible to allow access to their preferred parking lot. If you have a Green or Orange Lot pass and are arriving within 90 minutes of kick-off, we recommend that you enter the Stadium grounds on Garrett Morgan Boulevard, which would bring you in closer to the Green[/Orange] Lots that will have spaces available at that point.

In addition, fans driving to the stadium on GameDay can get traffic text alerts sent to their cellphones -- just text RSTRAFFIC to 44636. This service gives fans access to regular updates on the best routes to use to get to and from FedExField on game day.

Otherwise, regarding your route to the stadium, here are some ideas:

A) COME EARLY. Obviously, many have valid reasons why they cannot arrive early. Nevertheless, this is one fool-proof solution. If you cannot come early, you should still plan on being in your parking spot by no later than an hour before kickoff, and that includes taking all the traffic delays into account including gridlock on the beltway. Being parked an hour prior to kickoff should be your worst case scenario. Of course, it would be much better if you could arrive much sooner.

B) CHOOSE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE. The heaviest-used access route is via Redskins Rd/Landover Rd. Exit 17. The lightest-used access Rt is via Morgan Blvd./Central Ave. Exit 15. If you are not an early bird, consider the probability that the shortest route is the route everybody else is taking. And if that is true, it may be significantly faster to take a different route, even if it costs you an extra mile or two. Here are some ideas:

• 1) Use Beltway Exit 13. I've been told hardly anybody uses this route. Take Ritchie Marlboro Rd. west to Ritchie Rd. Turn right. This road changes to Morgan Blvd. You're there.
  • 2) Use Rt 295, Baltimore-Washington Pkwy. Rt. 295 is Beltway Exit 22. Take the Baltimore-Washington Pkwy south to Rt 202 Landover Rd. Take Rt 202 Landover Rd. east. You will eventually turn right onto Brightseat Rd. You're there.
  • 3) Use Route 704. See map. Route 704 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Hwy) is interesting because it is one of the few that easily hooks up with Sheriff Rd to the west and also Brightseat Rd. to the north. Here are three options:
    • a) Taking Sheriff Rd towards the stadium, you unfortunately won't be allowed to turn right onto Redskins Rd. But you can cross it (Sheriff Rd becomes Brightseat Rd.) and access the grey lots on the right or Arena Dr or even Central Ave. by continuing up Brightseat. :secret: you can also take advantage of cash parking on the front lawns of private homes along Sheriff Rd. for around $25
    • B) Another option from Rt 704 (coming from the north) is to turn at Ardwick Ardmore Rd. for one block, then turn right at Brightseat. From there, you can proceed south for about a mile and a half and you'll run right into the stadium. Except for FedExField area fans, this route is relatively unknown and severely underused. You're there.
    • c) From Rt 704 (coming from the south), turn right onto Rt 202 Landover Rd. Make your next right onto Brightseat Rd. You're there.

[*]4) Use Route 50. See map. Here are two options:

• a) Take Route 50 (from the Beltway, use beltway exit 19 and head west; from the city, head east) then use exit 3 to get onto Rt. 202 Landover Rd. Take Landover Rd east, then turn right onto Brightseat Rd. You're there.
    • B) As you are traveling down Rt 50 from the east towards the beltway, take the New Carrolton Metro / Marc Train exit which is just before the beltway exit. But instead of turning into the Metro rail complex, continue straight. The road will change from Garden City Dr to Ardwick Ardmore Rd. Continue across Rt 704, and make your next right onto Brightseat Rd. Follow to the stadium. You're there.

[*]5) Use Route 410 East-West Hwy. See map. From the city or from Bethesda / Chevy Chase, take this east and it will evenually connect with Rt 295 (B-W Pkwy) or Rt 50 (see directions above). From Bethesda, this route will take one hour or less.

[*]6) Use Route 193. See map. This is Greenbelt Rd. closer to the beltway, but it's called Enterprise Rd. east of the beltway, and Enterprise Rd. runs roughly parallel to the beltway. It easily hooks up with Landover Rd., Arena Dr., or Central Ave., either directly or by using Lottsford Rd.

[*]7) Use the New Carrolton Metro / Marc Train beltway exit. See map. This is actually the Rt. 50 West exit, but you will immediately exit towards the Metrorail/Marc which is marked. But instead of proceeding straight towards the metrorail complex, make your first left turn at the first stop light intersection which is Pennsy Dr. Make your next left onto Ardwick Ardmore Rd. Proceed through the Rt 704 intersection and make your next right onto Brightseat Rd. Follow across Landover Rd. and to the stadium. You're there.

[*]8) Use East Capitol St. From the city, East Capitol St headed east changes into Rt 214 Central Ave. Turn left onto Morgan Blvd. You're there.

[*]9) Use New York Ave. From the city, New York Ave. headed east changes into Rt 50. Use exit 3 to get onto Rt. 202 Landover Rd. headed east. Turn right at the top of the hill onto Brightseat Rd. You're there.

[*]10) Beltway Exit 15. Central Ave. This might be a wise choice if you're on the beltway coming from the north and the right lanes are filled with people trying to file in via Exits 17 and 16. Pass them on the left and use Exit 15 (:secret: ...or exit 13).

[*]11) Beltway Exit 16. Arena Dr. This is not as heavily used as Exit 17, Landover Rd. If you have a green or orange parking pass and kickoff is within 90 minutes of reaching this exit, your are advised to use Exit 15.

[*]12) Beltway Exit 17. Rt. 202 Landover Rd. This is the most heavily used access point and it requires a left turn at a busy intersection. If you have a green or orange parking pass and kickoff is within 90 minutes of reaching this exit, your are advised to use Exit 15.

Here's a printer-friendly pdf from the team outlining directions from various locations (note the three commonly used beltway exits are the least advised routes): http://prod.static.redskins.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/Directions-to-FedExField.pdf

Regional Map (note: Bishop Peeples Dr on the mapquest map is Arena Dr): Click here for regional map.

stadiumparkingmap.jpg

eshead9sjpg.jpg

Those coming from the south can use 301 to old marlboro pike to rt 202. Its usaully not too bad on the weekends if you are leaving fairly early. But a Monday night game that way, as does every way, sucks. I hate the beltway on gameday, but sometimes it really is the best way.

Also coming from the south, get off at exit 13 (Ritchie Marlboro Rd), take it west to Ritchie Rd turn right, and that leads right into Morgan Blvd. (maybe 3 miles total)

It is at least nice to know they know of the problems and trying to make it better.

Ahh, Exit 13. That was my #1 above, but I used the wrong exit number. Thanks.

Here's the newest parking map as of Sept. 14, 2009.

stadiumparkingmap.jpg

Ahh, Exit 13. That was my #1 above, but I used the wrong exit number. Thanks

You can also go east from that exit, go about 1 1/2 miles to Harry S Truman Dr, turn left, go about 4 miles to Lottsford Rd turn right, go a few blocks and hang a left on Arena Drive

Ahh, Exit 13. That was my #1 above, but I used the wrong exit number. Thanks

I think my friend used that route before, but got up there via Pennsylvania Ave. We cut through the city in that one, probably because the Wilson Bridge was still under construction. He might have cut across Silver Hill Rd, tho. I don't remember.

Doesn't route 301/ route 1 run close to the stadium? I actually almost took 301 from Richmond to the stadium wonder if that would cut down on the annoying stop and go on 95?

If you get on 301 from off of 95 coming from richmond its a straight shot all the way up till Marlboro Pike. You make a left there a right on 202 at the bottom of the hill and run that up to the various parking areas. There are lights in waldorf that can be a pain in the butt, but for the most part its a fast route.

If you get on 301 from off of 95 coming from richmond its a straight shot all the way up till Marlboro Pike. You make a left there a right on 202 at the bottom of the hill and run that up to the various parking areas. There are lights in waldorf that can be a pain in the butt, but for the most part its a fast route.

I may be remembering wrong, but isn't there a toll to cross the river on 301? I seem to remember that it was only for one way, but I can't remember which way (north or south). If there is a toll, how much is it?

Thanks to MTH and others for these alternate routes.

For those who may not know - I went this weekend and used the Metro. You can park at any designated park and ride station (for free on weekends)and switch lines like I did. I was on the orange line,but it's probably best to park on a blue line station so you don't have to switch at the Stadium/Armory. Go to Morgan Blvd. on the blue line and from there it's about a 20 minute walk uphill, 15 coming back. That is if you're not tailgating of course :)

It just seemed really easy. We were on the first train that arrived after the game heading out. We were there 2 hours early though.

Doesn't route 301/ route 1 run close to the stadium? I actually almost took 301 from Richmond to the stadium wonder if that would cut down on the annoying stop and go on 95?

301 runs right into Central Avenue, when you get there go west on Central Ave... aka rout 214, stadium is on the right after you go under 495, which is about 5 miles from the 301/Central Ave intersection

I may be remembering wrong, but isn't there a toll to cross the river on 301? I seem to remember that it was only for one way, but I can't remember which way (north or south). If there is a toll, how much is it?

Thanks to MTH and others for these alternate routes.

When coming FROM VA into MD across the Nice/301 Bridge, there is no toll .. just when leaving MD going back into VA... $3 .. So northbound no toll.. just southbound

The only bad thing about using exit 13 then taking a right onto Ritchie Road is, there are a few churches along that road, so it can get backed up a little at times, depending on the time of day. But before i started going to ES tailgates, i used that rout ALL the time ...brings you right to Morgan Blvd once you cross central avenue.

[*]4) Use Route 50. See map. From beltway, take Route 50 towards DC, then use exit 3 to get onto Rt. 202 Landover Rd. Take Landover Rd east, then turn right onto Brightseat Rd. You're there.

[*]5) Use East Capitol St. From the city, East Capitol St headed east changes into Rt 214 Central Ave. Turn left onto Morgan Blvd. You're there.

Best two ways coming from Southwest. I like East Capitol - Central Avenue more though.

301 runs right into Central Avenue, when you get there go west on Central Ave... aka rout 214, stadium is on the right after you go under 495, which is about 5 miles from the 301/Central Ave intersection

Ive never gonna up to central off of 301 for a game, is that way better than running up 202 off of 301? I dont use the beltway at all for games.

I was unable to turn right onto Redskins Rd. from east bound Sheriff Rd. This was around 6:00. Cops had flairs burning and cruisers parked in the right turn ln.

That's crazy. What did they make you do? Go straight across to Brightseat towards the grey lot? I'm going to relay that to the team and see what the story is.

Thanks!

That's crazy. I'm going to relay that to the team and see what the story is.

Thanks!

I'm guessing it's because Sheriff Rd. doesn't have a long enough right turn lane onto Redskins Rd.

It would back up a long way if they allowed people to turn right b/c merging onto Redskins Rd. would be sluggish.

We had the choice to loop around Brightseat to Arena Dr., but I proceeded to Central Ave. hoping that the Morgan Blvd. approach would be better. Sure enough. it was half the mob of Arena Dr. or Brightseat Rd.

Archived