Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Avoiding Gridlock: TWELVE (+) Different Approaches To FedExField & Lot Access Advice

Mark The Homer

I must say thanks for the info all! I will be bringing my Son to tonights game and he is more than excited. I had planned to drive in, but it seems like Metro will be the best option for us. I did have a question. Since Metro stopped its shuttle service to games, is there a shuttle service at all from the stations that Metro stopped service?

Thanks

Last night's parking was not too bad but for one issue which hopefully is resolved. They put up a temp barricade through the center of the ES tailgate. :doh:

It was not pretty for a few moments. People were driving through the grass to get around it and I thought a few of us might get hit. Then we had a jerk of golf cart dude screaming at us as we were moving the barricade to let the grass drivers by :chair:

It looks like the barricade might stay but we can move it as needed.

The only huge issue I have is the stupid fence they put through the center of the E lot. If it was to block cars they need to put walk ways though it. There was some good entertainment watching drunks fall over it. I am so tempted to put on my track shoes (no beer bottle flip flops) and hurdle it.

I have to say my exit from FedExField last night was the best I ever had. Yes it was pre season and yes I am in the orange lot and yes I entered Redskins Rd from the west side which is advantageous. But still, I didn't leave early, I stayed until the last field goal, walked out of Gate A, walked to my truck, started it, and headed out. The biggest obstacle was the masses of foot traffic. It took me about two minutes to make it from the C lot, through the D lot and to the lot exit at Redskins Rd,. with three cars waiting in front of me. Took me another minute before the guard let us out. I stayed in the far left lane. Zoom. I was across the first intersection (Brightseat/Sheriff) within a minute and across Landover Rd. within another three minutes and stayed on Brightseat headed towards Rt 50 and the beltway. I was home in 38 mins which is faster than my normal 7 AM Sunday morning arrival time. It was amazing. No complaints.

Last night's parking was not too bad but for one issue which hopefully is resolved ...

Things went as expected in Orange H-3 ...

A friend of mine in my bowling league and his group wound up in E-40 when they got a rude awakening that their usual spot somewhere in D-1/D-2 was converted to purple and orange. He was supposed to make his way to me but never did ...

I had told him (robasa) he was close to the ES tailgate so he may have hooked up with some of you. It was his birthday and feeling no pain at the game ... (he sat with me inside FedEx)

cheers

Remember those new "express lanes" they were advertising back in July?

Still no sign of them?

What do you mean? On Redskins Road, there are about 6 lanes to get in. 2 for green and the rest for platinum, orange and purple. Earlier in this thread, MTH put up a little graphic showing the lane breakdowns.

What do you mean? On Redskins Road, there are about 6 lanes to get in. 2 for green and the rest for platinum, orange and purple. Earlier in this thread, MTH put up a little graphic showing the lane breakdowns.

I saw all of those new color coded lane configurations for entering the parking lots last week.

What I'm referring to was described in premium seating brochures and it specified 'additional new express lanes for exiting the stadium post game'.

As far as I could tell last week, all of the lanes from each color lot merged at the property line as they always have.

I come down 270 to 495. Is there any way to avoid 495? We are usually ok during the season because we come early, but 495 is miserable going home.

Thanks

We came from downtown Bethesda on Friday night. We wanted to avoid the Beltway due to reports that it was very backed up for preseason game #1. In an effort to avoid the Beltway, we took 410 (East West Highway) from downtown Bethesda all the way to 295 (BW Parkway), then 295 to 202 (Landover Road), and 202 the rest of the way. Even in rush hour traffic Friday, that route took about 60 minutes and there were only minor backups entering the stadium to park -- and that was only because of rush hour traffic on 202. We arrived around 6 pm. Not sure how long the Beltway would have taken.

On the way home, we take 202 West to 295 North to the Beltway, so we avoid the worst part.

The only negative is that you are parking in the northern lots, which make for the longest exit after the game.

I come down 270 to 495. Is there any way to avoid 495? We are usually ok during the season because we come early, but 495 is miserable going home.

Coming out for the Patriot game from Centreville, the Beltway was jammed both directions at the 66 interchange so we kept going and went through town. We got there in an hour which wasn't too bad. After waiting 45 minutes to an hour after the game ended, we had no problems with the southern (Wilson approach) beltway into Virginia.

Now that the Wilson Bridge itself is finished, it will be a smoother flow after the regular season games ... (we hit stops even two-plus hours after leaving last year)

cheers

I saw all of those new color coded lane configurations for entering the parking lots last week.

What I'm referring to was described in premium seating brochures and it specified 'additional new express lanes for exiting the stadium post game'.

As far as I could tell last week, all of the lanes from each color lot merged at the property line as they always have.

I don't think EVEN Danny can just put in express lanes on public roads :D

Once they leave FedEx property, the premium seat folks have to use the same road as us normal folk.

But maybe Danny has a plan to buy/rent a couple lanes of the beltway from MD on game nights.....

I don't know about the other gates, but on Redskins Rd., the team added more lanes for purple and orange, and took away lanes for green. Last year there were three lanes for green on the right, all of which led to the D and C lots on the right which was green (and the green D1 lot didn't open until two hours later). IIRC, it looked like this:

ORANGE     ORANGE        PURPLE         GREEN         GREEN     GREEN

This year, there is only one orange lane which leads to the D and C lots, although there is also a purple lane which leads to D1. Platinum isn't marked, but Platinum should use the ORANGE/PURPLE lane. The lanes look like this:

GREEN      ORANGE     ORANGE/PURPLE         PURPLE     ORANGE     GREEN

The team added lanes for premium parking. So that might be the explanation.

• 3 weeks later...

If I turn right onto Brightseat from Central Ave heading west can I loop around and then turn left onto Redskins Rd? I went up 17-301-214-202 for the Steelers preseason game and the police blocked traffic on 202 to let those on the Beltway turn onto 202. I waited at least an hour trying to get over 495.

I don't know if the rain had anything to do with the traffic that day. Is that a normal practice or was it an aberration?

Archived