Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Math Problem....HELP!?!?!?!

CRobi21

Ok, I know this really isn't that hard. But I've been doing frickin math problems all day, and can't find it in myself to do this one.

The vertex is (3,3). The y-intercept is (0,-6).

Answer needs to be in f(x)= ax^2 + bx +c form.

First one who gets it will receive something special from yours truly.

What's a vertex?

I helped the last time someone had one of those math questions, but this is the quadratic graphing ****. If it's not a straight line, I have no clue how to graph fancy-schmancy functions. Someone else more trained in quadratics has to do this.

What's a vertex?

There's a graph with it too. But I can't post it. It's like a curved line that is opening upwards, and the vertex is the point at which the curved line comes to it's peak.

image6.gif

Like that, but only one line.

f(x) = a(x-3)^2 + 3

What the heck is "a"? Dumb vague variable.

I would assume one of the numbers from the y-intercept needs to be plugged in. Then you find y, x, and then go for A. Then you fill all that mumbo jumbo into the top equation in OP except for X and Y. That sounds like a solution.

Too lazy to do that so see what happens.

This is basic high school math and I'm struggling with this :(

Can't you just plug those two numbers into your TI-83+ and use QuadReg or something? One of you who has had training with the graphing calculator, back me up on this

http://www.prenhall.com/divisions/esm/app/calculator/medialib/Technology/Documents/TI-83/desc_pages/quad-reg.html

Edit : QuadReg keeps getting error. I'm guessing the two coordinates given are not enough to graph a parabola. I give up.

Since you're given the vertex, you should be able to figure out one more point from the y-intercept, because parabolas are symmetric. (Hint: What will the x-value be when y is -6, on the other side of the parabola? )

Now you have three equations, and three free variables, which you should be able to solve.

Ok, here's some help.

f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k Where (h,k) is the vertex.

Easy.

Just take your y-intercept coordinate you're given: (0, -6)

x = 0

f(x) = -6

Plug it in.

-6 = a(0-3)^2 + 3

-6 = a(9) + 3

9a = -9

a = -1

Then expand equation.

f(x) = (-1)(x-3)^2 + 3

f(x) = (-1)(x^2 - 6x + 9) + 3

f(x) = -x^2 + 6x - 6

Man I wish the problem sets I get were this easy. Everything does seem easier than 'rocket science', especially at one of the toughest colleges in the country. Try combining differential equations, triple integrals, eigenvalues, and physics equilibrium equations in problems taking over 2-3 pages per each part.

I hate the 6-8 hr problem sets I have to do.

Man I wish the problem sets I get were this easy. Everything does seem easier than 'rocket science', especially at one of the toughest colleges in the country. Try combining differential equations, triple integrals, eigenvalues, and physics equilibrium equations in problems taking over 2-3 pages per each part.

I like Differential Equations. Easily one of my favorite classes. But it helps to have a really good professor.

I like Differential Equations. Easily one of my favorite classes. But it helps to have a really good professor.
Man, if you have a good DE professor your math life will always be a thousand times easier. Plus its really hard to find a good textbook. Mine was excellent and I took that class in the summer at a JC. Its made my engineering life so much easier.
And THAT'S why I switched to Computer Science.
Computer science is the DEBIL! Hours and hours of debugging for a mistake you'll never find.

Though I've been told that I need much more software experience in todays job market. Bleh.

Where do you go to school and what are you studying? Triple integrals were kind of annoying especially when you have to think in freaking 4 dimensions. They are even more annoying when trying to set up a probability problem

Where do you go to school and what are you studying? Triple integrals were kind of annoying especially when you have to think in freaking 4 dimensions. They are even more annoying when trying to set up a probability problem

3rd-year Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech.

Archived