Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC a suburb of NYC?

samy316

I was listening to NPR radio on my way home a few weeks ago, and I happened hear a guy named Richard Florida who is a renowned urban theorist, talk about DC, and how it is now a home away from home for a lot of media types and executives. He also talked about how a lot of people travel frequently back and forth between both locales weekly, and in some instances even daily for business and pleasure. He ended up saying that because of this, DC in many ways is now a suburb of NYC. I don't think that this is the case because of the distance between the two cities, but I wanted to get your opinion on if he is wacky, or if he has some fact behind his comments.

Here's the link to what he said (it is around the 16 minute mark):

DC: A Suburb of New York City

I don't think so. When I think of suburbs, I think of places that are like an hour or 2 away from a big city. DC is what like 5 or 6 hours away from NYC? I could see Baltimore being a suburb of DC or vice versa, but I think NYC is a little extreme.

That's a stretch. DC has a very diverse workforce in my experience. Some folks are from NYC, some folks are from Boston, some from Texas, North Carolina, Seattle, some from freakin' Missouri and damn near everywhere in between. I don't think the amount of folks from NYC/NJ is out of proportion with their total share of the population. If this guy has some data that says otherwise by all means let's have it.

And the thing about DC is that the metropolitan area (5.3 million people)has exponentially more people than the city itself (592,000). Fairfax county alone has twice the population of DC. So if you want to call DC a suburb of NY, there would have to be a hell of a lot of people making that commute.

I would conservatively bet there are more than 20 times as many people commuting to the district everyday from Fairfax county than from NYC.

In the sense this guy is using the term, the entire eastern seaboard north of Richmond must also be a suburb of NYC. That doesn't pass a literal smell test. And Philly must qualify as a suburb of Boston and Montreal. After all, I live in Philly but do all my business in those two cities with frequent travel to each. I have a desk in Montreal, a desk in Boston, and a home (office) in the Philly burbs.

And there are folks in Boston whose situation is the opposite of mine. So we're all mutually suburb-ed up.

I think the greater point is what another poster said: These cities are all close enough to allow quick travel between them, allowing for more complex work vs. live geographies. But I don't really see the whole thing orbiting NYC necessarily. Surely there's more private money there than in any other city in the network -- but to my eye the whole thing looks more like an exhaustively connected network whose links in and out of NYC are somewhat stronger than most other links. DC-Baltimore, for instance, is probably one of the most heavily traveled links in the entire network.

lol no...but a very small number of people have been doing this for a while and will continue to do so...

our office shares space with a small advocacy group that does similar work to us...anyways the exec director of it lives in connecticut and just comes down 4-5 days a week to be in the office.

I think it goes both ways though. There are quite a few New Yorkers who travel daily, weekly to DC to do business because we're the seat of power. So, in that sense, NY is a suburb of DC.

In a weird way, I think both are true. I was surprised a few years ago how close Vermont is by car from DC. It's well less than a day's drive. In 1700's thinking that makes Vermont a suburb of DC... and if we add in planes...?

Before I moved to NYC I was coming up here from DC every other weekend or more, but in no way is DC a suburb of NYC. DC is it's own city with it's own suburbs. Most of the people I work with live in the suburbs of NJ or LI.

Archived