Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: As a Skins fan, Should I hate the Ravens and Why?

skinsarethebest

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Eh.... the offseason... sucks...

Anyway, too much time on my hands. But there is one subject that has always kind of befuddled me.

I think it's pretty much safe to assume that the Ravens are a pretty despised team for us Skins fans, at least on this board. I myself have gotten sick of them not so much because of the team itself but because of its fans, who seem about obnoxious as can be.

But I'm trying to piece together exactly WHY the Ravens are hated. For one thing, I'm a Skins fan who was lucky enough to get to enjoy the Super Bowl years under Gibbs first as a kid, then teenager, and finally college student. Well, they do say life after college sucks.... When I was growing up, I don't recall actually hating the Ravens... They were simply the other local team that no one I knew really paid any attention to. In fact, of course, they weren't actually the Ravens... They were the COLTS (of Baltimore). I grew up in DC and remember watching the Skins on Channel 9 every Sunday. The Colts were simply that other team on the channel with fuzzy reception.

Fast forward to now. They are the Ravens. They have a SB championship this century. And it's easy to hate them because a) they have thugs like Ray Lewis on their team and B) their fans suck with a capital S.

But I also find it odd to see how hated they are on this board at least (and that's certainly rubbed off on me). Isn't there a line of argument that we ought to feel some (very lukewarm perhaps) connection with them since they are at least a local team? After all, a lot of us rooted for the Orioles, so what makes the Ravens different (except that we always had our own favorite team in DC) ... And this is coming from someone who never actually lived in MD. I grew up in DC.

So, I guess if I had to lay out my questions, they go like this:

1) For the old-timers, and I mean, Billy Kilmer, Sonny Jurgensen old, was it always this way? Did you guys hate the Colts back in the '70s (and before) the way we seem to hate the Ravens now?

2) If you live in the DC area, should that make you hate the Ravens more or allow you to root for them as a second choice team? Is anti-Ravens sentiment stronger or weaker among those Skins fans that don't have any ties to the area but simply like the Skins for some other reason (not because you live or grew up here)?

3) For that matter, does it cut along state lines? Are you more likely to hate the Ravens if you live in VA than if you live in MD?

As for me, it's a tough choice, but I'm actually going to pull for the Ravens over the Steelers. It all comes down to the teams that pissed me off the most in recent memory, and the Steelers have gotten to that point, and their fans with the towel thing coming into FedEx.... ugh...

And I'll certainly root for the Ravens (if they make the SB) over the Eagles.... Not sure how I'll feel if it's Ravens vs. Cardinals.

:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck

Yes, because their fans have something against the Redskins. Some kind of inferiority complex. And they decide to take it out by trashing the 'skins every chance they get even when they aren't even a real rival.

Plus, I hate being asked why I'm a 'Skins fan living in Maryland. Maybe it's because I've been a fan my whole life and not just since 1996 when the Ravens came into the league or 2000 when they won the Super Bowl.

P.S. Cardinals all the way. There's no way I want to deal with Steelers or Ravens fans if they win. Plus, who wants the Eagles to finally win a Lombardi?

The only player I like on the Ravens is Ed Reed and after watching the game against the Titans last weekend I was very disappointed. Did you see how he tried to break Chris Johnson in half? The refs didn't even throw a flag on him, they threw the flag on the offensive lineman who came to his rescue. Chris Johnson ended up not playing the entire second half because of that chicken **** play! I now don't like Ed Reed or any other player for the Ravens!!!

:finger::ravensuck

I didn't use to have a problem with them until I came to Baltimore to go to Towson. Ravens fans are big time fairweather fans. Its annoying listening to the sports radio shows up here cuz all they talk about are the Ravens. Last week, you would've thought the Ravens had a bye because they were talking about who would be a better matchup for them in the AFC Championship game, not the Titans game. I also can't stand the people that bash the Skins because they are Ravens fans. I'm sure they were Skins fans at some point, either that or they didn't watch football until the Ravens came here. Screw the Ravens, they blow!

The same reason that Orioles fans hate the Nats....an expansion team stealing your team's fanbase.

Not to mention, their fans are annoying, Baltimore is a filthy city, Ray Lewis is an idiot, etc.

Do Orioles fans hate the Nats? Aren't the Nats too pathetic to even merit any kind of hate?

That's the heart of what I'm getting at. When I was growing up, the Ravens (excuse me, Colts) weren't in our division and weren't a hated rival (or were they, old-timers please chime in). More like an after-thought. The Colts never went anywhere in the 80s and never bothered anybody...

If anything, it's the obnoxious fans from Baltimore, who probably only got that way after that 2000 season. I don't recall much smack talk from them prior to that.

Growing up as a Washington Senators fan, I grew to hate the Orioles because they always beat my Nats and were constantly contending from the mid 60's until after the Senators moved to Texas. This, incidently, is one of the reasons I hated the Cowboys during that same time period.

I later grew to hate all things Baltimore, from the Colts to the Orioles and now the Ravens. Part of my Raven hatred is that they are in Baltimore. The rest is mainly because Ray Lewis never did any jail time. Had his incident happened today, he'd be Pac-Manned at the very least. I've never liked the guy, henceforth, I've never liked the Ravens. Besides, only the Vikings look halfway decent in purple.

Do Orioles fans hate the Nats? Aren't the Nats too pathetic to even merit any kind of hate?

That's the heart of what I'm getting at. When I was growing up, the Ravens (excuse me, Colts) weren't in our division and weren't a hated rival (or were they, old-timers please chime in). More like an after-thought. The Colts never went anywhere in the 80s and never bothered anybody...

If anything, it's the obnoxious fans from Baltimore, who probably only got that way after that 2000 season. I don't recall much smack talk from them prior to that.

Orioles fans (at least in my experience) resent the Nats at the very least. Maybe when the Nats build the team up and become a serious postseason threat, then they will truly be hated.

But you may be right about the Ravens smack talk coming post-2000. They've only been the Ravens since 1996 and pretty much sucked up until 2000.

I think a lot of casual Maryland football fans probably decided to switch from rooting for the Redskins to the Ravens at that point.

You have to remember Baltimore didn't have a football team for about 13 years...where did those old-school Colts fans go? Did they follow the franchise to Indy or start pulling for the Redskins (who were doing well at the time)? And if they switched to pulling for the Redskins, did they go back to pulling for Baltimore when the Ravens popped back up?

I hate the Carolina Panthers for almost the same exact reason as I do the Ravens(because they infringed on our fanbase). But then again, were those individuals ever REEEEEALLY true fans to start with?

The Ravens are worse because that specific franchise was STOLEN from Cleveland, essentially. Art Modell is a dirtball.

It's the fans.

I have nothing against the team, and even rooted for them in 2000.

But the fans are so obnoxious, so uninformed, and so grating that it's impossible to want the Ravens to do well, lest those fans gain excitement and an even more annoying swagger.

Growing up, I didn't really HATE the Colts, but I didn't much care for them. At the time (early 70s) I was an Orioles fan, but that didn't seem to resonate.

Now, I HATE the Orioles because of their dispicable and despisable owner and what he did to thwart our efforts to get a team in DC. And I used to HATE the Ravens primarily because of their thugs and the fact that the media has made a God out of Ray Lewis when I'm convinced he knew something about that murder in Atlanta (not to mention the fact that I'm more than a little tired of these guys with 6 children from 5 different women who walk around talking about being "men" - they haven't a clue what that means).

But, having said that, I have grown to respect the Ravens for what they put on the field and how they do it. They aren't looking for the one time shot, they know how to build a team. Their down periods don't last long because of the infrastructure and system they have in place. Because of that, I find myself being drawn into them a little.

Hail,

H

I've hated the Ravens ever since their inception. I'll always despise a team that steals a team from another city. It's particularly outrageous for Baltimore to do it. They moan and cry about the Colts being stolen from them -- and then they do the same thing to Cleveland!

Would it pain you to know the Skins originally came from Boston?

I get your point, though.

I'm from MD and I hate the Ravens.

Ravens fans hate the Redskins. Their fans are vocal about their hatred for the Skins. This makes Skins fans hate the fans, and the hatred of the Ravens is an extension of the hatred for the fans.

From what I understand, old Colts fans also hate the Redskins, and this seems to have carried over to the Ravens. You don't see as much hatred coming from the Skins fans of the old Colts, though.

Archived