Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My SAT Scores

dcnativenerd

So, I finally got my SAT scores this morning. Here's how they break down

640-Reading (Top 15 percent in the nation)

590-Writing (Top 20 percent in the nation)

Now, here's the part that concerns me:

480-Math (Always been my weakness).

In total, I scored a 1710 out of 2400. That pretty much puts me in the middle of the road, I think. I'm a little concerned since the UNC (the school I want to go to) is very competitive. Anyway, I wanted to ask everyone here if they think I have a chance at getting into a good school, despite the fact that I had only okay scores, and my math numbers weren't too great.

Thank you for your time and comments!

ok scores? are you kidding me....those are great.the smart ones get like 1400.i myself got 1100 which is decent

that was on the 1600 system, now its a 2400 system with the added writing section. his score translates to a 1070 in the old system.

So, I finally got my SAT scores this morning. Here's how they break down

640-Reading (Top 15 percent in the nation)

590-Writing (Top 20 percent in the nation)

Now, here's the part that concerns me:

480-Math (Always been my weakness).

In total, I scored a 1710 out of 2400. That pretty much puts me in the middle of the road, I think. I'm a little concerned since the UNC (the school I want to go to) is very competitive. Anyway, I wanted to ask everyone here if they think I have a chance at getting into a good school, despite the fact that I had only okay scores, and my math numbers weren't too great.

Thank you for your time and comments!

1710/2400 not bad man.

I only got a 1440.

i got a 1400 on the old 1600 system.

760 Math

640 Verbal.

That would translate pretty well in the modern system, I think.

I don't know...it's very competitve, like I said. I know a girl who got a soild 2000 and still went back to retake that test!

Mmmm...total inferiority. Ain't it fun?

I know under the 1600 system, 1000 was average. That did not sit well with me considering that almost every high schooler takes the test. What is average under the 2400 system?

I hate to be blunt, but 1710 out of 2400 does not sound too good overall. What does UNC want, or any other schools for that matter. Also, hopefully you have a fair amount of extracirriculars and can write those personal statements/essays well. They do consider those if they see you as a borderline student.

I know under the 1600 system, 1000 was average. That did not sit well with me considering that almost every high schooler takes the test. What is average under the 2400 system?

I hate to be blunt, but 1710 out of 2400 does not sound too good overall. What does UNC want, or any other schools for that matter. Also, hopefully you have a fair amount of extracirriculars and can write those personal statements/essays well. They do consider those if they see you as a borderline student.

I'd place money that says my personal essay is what got me admitted into Mason. I had an 1170 SAT (old system), 3.2 GPA, and no teacher reccomendations.

Yeah, it's not that hot.

But, thankfully, I'm a pretty good writer (I want to be a reporter when I'm out of school) and I'm a member of a good deal of after-school activties.

I'm not feeling optimistic, really. I'm sporting a 3.56 GPA and I'm just no good with math, which doesn't fly in the 21st Century.

Hey dcnativenerd - I'm not familiar with the new scoring system as I was under the 1600 system. However, if your score translates to a 1070, you might have a little work to do. Are you a junior or senior right now? Is there a chance you can take the SATs again to increase your score? If not, don't fret...how are your extracurriculars? Are you involved in sports, band, student government, or community service activies? Admissions committees definitely like heavy involvement in outside activities. :)

Yeah, it's not that hot.

But, thankfully, I'm a pretty good writer (I want to be a reporter when I'm out of school) and I'm a member of a good deal of after-school activties.

I'm not feeling optimistic, really. I'm sporting a 3.56 GPA and I'm just no good with math, which doesn't fly in the 21st Century.

Don't mean to be an ass but I'll be blunt like Mr. S

I went to TJHSST (number one high school in the nation), graduated with a 3.5 and a 2200 on the new SAT. UVA, which is just as competitive as UNC did not accept me, though I was offered early admission at William and Mary and I got into JMU and obviously Tech.

I would say you should get to work on your SAT scores and get your GPA up. 3.56 is good but UNC takes something like 82% from in-state and its damn hard to get into. Also, look into SAT classes, if you find a good one they can really help.

At the end of the day, your undergrad is important but if you don't get into your first choice its not the end of the world. UVA was my first choice but I didn't work hard enough in high school to get in. I'm smart enough, could have transferred but I love Tech and have no interest in going to UVA.

Good luck man, college application time is a pain in the ass and stressful but college itself is awesome.

:cheers:

Are you involved in sports, band, student government, or community service activies? Admissions committees definitely like heavy involvement in outside activities. :)

Being a member of ExtremeSkins is a service activity and involvement in outside activities...right? :type: :silly:

Well, I'm a member of this thing my local newspaper does where they employ high school students as reporters. I've been published quite a few times. I'm a member of my school's marching band and...well, I guess that's it. Those are the two things I'm really good at. Music and writing.

I'm going to starve, aren't I?

Well, I'm a member of this thing my local newspaper does where they employ high school students as reporters. I've been published quite a few times. I'm a member of my school's marching band and...well, I guess that's it. Those are the two things I'm really good at. Music and writing.

I'm going to starve, aren't I?

Yup starving artist...better marry rich

:laugh:

Archived