Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Internal ESPN Memo: Viewer Response

jrockster21

From Deadspin:

WEEKLY VIEWER REPORT

September 24- 30

TOTAL RESPONSE - 4,907 [down 38% from previous week]

Letters 9 ( 2 favorable/general; 7 unfavorable)

Calls 512 ( 176 favorable/general; 336 unfavorable)

Emails 4,386 (1,168 favorable/general; 3,218 unfavorable)

Total 4,907 (1,346 favorable/general; 3,561 unfavorable)

Quick Hits:

College Football fans disappointed Saturday's Miami vs. Duke game was not televised on ESPN or ABC [25 % of all CFB feedback]

Viewers outside of the regionalized areas upset Oregon vs. Cal and Clemson vs. Ga Tech games were not televised nationwide

Viewers offer opinions on Michael Vick town meeting 'SportsCenter Special: The Vick Divide'

FIFA Women's World Cup fans enjoyed the extensive LIVE coverage, but felt there was too much talk about US goalkeeper during the game against Brazil

Fans enjoyed ESPN2's presentation of the 2007 Drum Corp International Championships

Top items this week:

College Football - 1,690 (331 fav/gen; 1,359 unfav) [ 9/29 and 9/30 - 661; midweek schedule inquiries - 400; carry over from previous week - 629]

[Volume Comparison: Last week: - 3,486 (f-407, u-3079); This Season - 10,926 (f- 1,646, u- 9,280)]

Viewer feedback to Saturday's games is down 52% from the previous week. Schedule issues remain the primary source of concern among fans, however a significant shift in volume this weekend can be attributed to that fact that we did not leave games in progress and switched away to another match-up.

Scheduling - 780

Disappointed ESPN or ABC did not televise Saturday's Miami vs. Duke game - 396 [Requested for game to be added to ESPN GamePlan - 186]

Viewers in the East and Midwest upset Oregon vs. Cal not shown nationally [game was offered in 20% of the country and on ESPN GamePlan] - 129

Fans outside of the Clemson vs. Ga Tech market upset it was not shown nationally [game offered in 21% of the country and on ESPN GamePlan] - 51

Viewers complaining about regionalization of Saturday's games on ABC / think it's unfair - 101

Viewers with no access to ESPNU disappointed they couldn't see Pittsburgh vs. Virginia - 24

Schedule questions - 79

Viewers' Voice:

- "I live in Colorado; Texas and Kansas State equals BORING. Rest assured your ratings will be weak where CAL/ORG isn't on (besides home team markets) It should be on nationally."

- "Just wanted to write and ask ya'll to put on the Miami /Duke game on one of your stations or GamePlan this week."

Carry-over from previous week - 629:

Scheduling - Cutting away from games in regionalized markets upset fans - 287

Commentators - OU vs. TU - unrelated discussion about Notre Dame perceived as excessive - 219

Schedule questions - 123

Commentators - 160

* Disliked female commentators during LSU vs. Tulane game Saturday - 52

Commentary during ND vs. Purdue, MSU vs. Wisconsin, USC vs. Washington and Thursday's Boise State game perceived as biased and unprofessional - 83

Disliked overall commentary - 25

Viewers' Voice:

- "I hope you review the game and the commentator Pam Ward. I really wonder if she knows anything about football. She is calling out things in the game that aren't even close. I don't dislike her commentary she's just off. ex. calling kick offs- punts."

- "Those two you had covering that game are so bad and again ESPN shows its true colors as all out Notre Dame haters."

- "The announcers sound like they didn't prepare for this game. The make simple comments and show hits that MSU makes five times to embarrass the Spartans. Very biased."

Overall Coverage - 88

Five minute interview with USF head coach during Auburn game perceived as too lengthy - 35

Disliked halftime shows - 12

General comments on teams, athletes and coaches - 41

Viewers' Voice:

- "What were your producers thinking? An inane, self congratulatory interview for 5 minutes while a top ranked team is driving, losing by 14 and not a single play call, replay. Bush League coverage."

-----

Click link for rest

I wonder how common it is for TV stations to get such a large percentage of negative feedback? For the most part, people hate ESPN since Disney bought it...and this seems to reflect that. They really need to re-think their strategies and agendas, or its going to become a failed network.

I wonder how common it is for TV stations to get such a large percentage of negative feedback? For the most part, people hate ESPN since Disney bought it...and this seems to reflect that. They really need to re-think their strategies and agendas, or its going to become a failed network.

I definitely hate ESPN, but I'm forced to watch it since it's the best thing out there...there really isn't any competition for an all sports network like that...I could watch comcast, but thats local and overall, meh.

I don't think ESPN is caring or paying attention. Prime example of a company resting on its laurels. Instead of paring back the stuff that people hate, they keep piling it on.

It is extremely common since many of the people who like the programs do not respond. Lets say there were 4K total negative responses in regards to millions watching. It seems ESPN is very big on getting feedback from their programs, now the question is what do they do with that info?

I definitely hate ESPN, but I'm forced to watch it since it's the best thing out there...there really isn't any competition for an all sports network like that...I could watch comcast, but thats local and overall, meh.

I don't think ESPN is caring or paying attention. Prime example of a company resting on its laurels. Instead of paring back the stuff that people hate, they keep piling it on.

That's what I was gonna say. As much as ESPN sucks, there's nobody really challenging it. So as long as that is the case, I don't see ESPN failing any time soon.

My main complaint with ESPN is their love-affair with baseball. It is seriously annoying... every effing time I turn on ESPN they are showing baseball highlights. Why ESPN has chosen to hitch its wagon to a dying sport with a declining fanbase is beyond me. :doh:

We get 1 half/hour show dedicated to the happenings in the NFL, and we're supposed to be impressed :jerk:

5,000 complaints in a week doesn't seem that bad ... I figure people on Extremeskins probably account for at least 50 of those. We have someone every day post a letter that they are writing to ESPN.
College Football fans disappointed Saturday's Miami vs. Duke game was not televised on ESPN or ABC [25 % of all CFB feedback]

And apparently some Duke message board must be organizing a write-in campaign to get their game on ESPN ... :wtf:

or paying attention. Prime example of a company resting on its laurels. Instead of paring back the stuff that people hate, they keep piling it on.

I think the fact that they compie data shows they care. If they didn't why bother keeping stats about complaints?

I still miss NFL Primetime. :(

I would really enjoy seeing a 2-hour recap show, actually. With more analysis and plays from each game. But I guess it would cut into the Sunday Night game.

Anyways... Football Night in America blows.

My main complaint with ESPN is their love-affair with baseball. It is seriously annoying... every effing time I turn on ESPN they are showing baseball highlights. Why ESPN has chosen to hitch its wagon to a dying sport with a declining fanbase is beyond me. :doh:

I was thinking the same thing but with hockey.

Seriously? They don't show games, barely talk about, never talk about unless the Great Mullet himself Barry Melrose is on the show, and the highlights come after track and field highlights. If the Caps didn't have OV you would never see a clip them.

It is extremely common since many of the people who like the programs do not respond. Lets say there were 4K total negative responses in regards to millions watching. It seems ESPN is very big on getting feedback from their programs, now the question is what do they do with that info?

That is correct.

People write in when they are pissed off, not when they are reasonably content.

My HUGE problem with ESPN is that it's no longer sport's analysis and it's all sports soap opera now. I can't stand that. I don't care who got in what legal trouble, who made a guarantee, who talked trash, ect, ect. You're a sport's network. Tell me how that beautiful touchdown pass was only made possible by a key block from the TE and the QB's awareness to step up in the pocket behind the block. Show me how movement of the cutter opened up a lane for a drive to the basket, not just the stupid show off dunk. Show me sports, godammit, I don't think that's too much to ask. Instead, we get "The View/All My Children: male edition". For that reason, I don't watch ESPN anymore, almost at all, unless there's some kind of game on. I get most of sports fix from the internet. NFL network is pretty good though. Sure, Total Access is kind of lame, a sort of football oriented Sports Center, but their original NFL programming is good and I REALLY like the Playbook show, even though it's a little watered down now from what it originally was.

Btw, speaking of ESPN, what the **** ever happened to the show "NFL Matchup"? That was a real football program. Using coaches tape to break down what teams do well and how that factors into the matchup this coming week......that's what ESPN is supposed to be.

You must be kidding. Hockey gets about 38 seconds of each Sports Center during the NHL season, if that, and gets one half hour show that usually plays at 2 in the morning. Meanwhile, there's ****ing 18 baseball games a day for 9 months out of the year and every damn time I try to watch that channel I give up because there's baseball on and it makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

That's what I was gonna say. As much as ESPN sucks, there's nobody really challenging it. So as long as that is the case, I don't see ESPN failing any time soon.

We get 1 half/hour show dedicated to the happenings in the NFL, and we're supposed to be impressed :jerk:

I guess you missed the last MLB thread. Attendance is soaring and franchise values are climbing.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071002&content_id=2245658&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20071002&content_id=2245590&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/33/07mlb_The-Business-Of-Baseball_Rank.html

Archived