Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are everyones Redskins superstitions?

Redskins75

I have to admit that when it comes to the start of a season, I have alot of superstitions. Whatever Skins jersey I wear to watch the game week 1, is the only jersey I can wear the entire season (same for my wife). I also have to have on either one of two of my many Redskins t-shirts underneath the jersey, and I have to wear my FSU hat. My wife has to be sitting down in the same spot on our love seat for kickoff or to my left if we are in a bar watching the game. Food has to be carry out from one of the 3 restaurants up the road from our house or chicken wings and beer. I wouldnt allow her to hang up our flag last year in week 5 because I thought it would jinx us.

As far as fantasy football is concerned, my karma sucks, so I cannot draft any Redskins players ever. I drafted alot of them two years ago, look what happened to Portis and Coles..........last year I filled my rosters (across three leagues) with as many Dallas, NY Giants, and Philly players I could. I had McNabb, TO, Westbrook, Eli, Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, Crayton, and a couple of others.................they all got hurt or saw a huge decrease in productivity (Eli did ok, but he crumbled at the end).

I am never going to wear Portis Jersey on game day again after I wore it for the first time last year on the Sunday of the first Giants game . I love the guy but it just seems bad luck .

Conversley because I am a UK fan I take my football where I get it (though I am a die hard Skins fan) so I have gear for a number of teams execpt the bears and cowboys (Just picked up a black and white Mike Vick Rebock Jersey by the way for £16.99 - check the activewear rails at TK Maxx UK football fans) I find if I wear items from teams we are about to play we always seem to win.

I can't even tell you how many superstitions I have on game day: I won't speak to certain people; I have to get up from the bed on the left side; I will only wear clothing that "feels good" as in, gives me a good vibe; I won't watch the pregame show until 12:55; etc.

I make myself get up by 9:30am, I have to take a shower, I have to watch the 10am pregame Skins shows (unless im at the game), I wear the same jersey during a winning streak, as soon as we lose I switch jerseys because the old one's luck ran out, I will not accept phone calls during a game (unless its family) and unless I'm at the game I HAVE to watch Dallas with the family...............also, will drink beer during tailgates, but in stadium have to buy a dog and coke before beer, just superstition................i also find it hard for me to watch huge field goals near the end of a game

I make myself get up by 9:30am, I have to take a shower, I have to watch the 10am pregame Skins shows (unless im at the game), I wear the same jersey during a winning streak, as soon as we lose I switch jerseys because the old one's luck ran out, I will not accept phone calls during a game (unless its family) and unless I'm at the game I HAVE to watch Dallas with the family...............also, will drink beer during tailgates, but in stadium have to buy a dog and coke before beer, just superstition................i also find it hard for me to watch huge field goals near the end of a game

Exact same thing here with the jerseys, or any Redskins stuff for that matter. And I've came to the conclusion that it's bad luck/a jinx, everytime I play Madden, and play the team that the Redskins play the upcoming week, especially if I win. I dont lose much at all, but I always hope that however I beat the team, Redskins'll do the same in real life :laugh:

Whoever the Redskins' upcoming opponent is during that week, I play that opponent with me being the Redskins on EA Sports NFL Madden on PS2. I either play the game on PS2 on Saturday, or play it around 9 or 10 am in the morning on Sunday before the actual Redskins game starts. This season I am gonna do the same thing with EA Sports NFL Madden 2007 for PS2.

For a while, I used to always make a frozen pizza for lunch, whether the game was at 1, 4, or 8:30. I also try to build up luck in jerseys. My only consistent jersey is a retro Samuels one (at least 6-7 wins and only one loss to the Seahawks). Sometimes, I'd keep another jersey outside during a win so they can get some luck in them.

Like many, I play HTTR after every score and victory. I tend to sit in the same seat if we've been winning. Before each Dallas game last year, I took a sheet and wrote the name of every single Dallas player I could from the top of my head, with big words "F*** Dallas!". As we swept the Cowboys, looks like I'm gonna keep doing that. Oh, yeah, light some bottle rockets after a night win, we did this after the MNF game, and again for the Eagles night game as well as the Bucs.

During commercials of the game, I do not switch channels to see whats going on with other games. I have to eat have a beer, hotdog and hamburger some time during the game.

Last Year my daughter (who is 17 months now) sat right next to me for every single game and the Skins made the playoffs. So that means she better not schedule anything on Skins game day for the next 50 years.

During commercials of the game, I do not switch channels to see whats going on with other games. I have to eat have a beer, hotdog and hamburger some time during the game.

Last Year my daughter (who is 17 months now) sat right next to me for every single game and the Skins made the playoffs. So that means she better not schedule anything on Skins game day for the next 50 years.

:laugh:

Sad as it is to say, If we are doing bad when I'm watching, and I walk away for anything, bathroom break etc. If the Skins have scored or done something well, I have to watch the rest of the game from around the corner of another room, if I can even watch it at all. ( I still can listen, let's not get crazy)

I've been to the last three Redskins Dallas Games. One of the people that goes with us is nicknamed "Toad" and he's a Dallas Fan.

Before we left a real toad was in my garage. I tried to "herd" it outside. It got away and got under the pump. Redskins lost barely.

The next time (Sep 05), another toad appeared as we were leaving for the airport. This time I was able to shoo him outdoors. Redskins won barely.

The last time (Dec 05) , I accidently ran over a toad on the way out of the garage on the way to the game. Redskins squash Dallas.

Coincidence?

I've also noticed that Joe Gibbs switched from the Black to the Burgundy Script "R" hat which coincided with their great improvement last year.

I've been to the last three Redskins Dallas Games. One of the people that goes with us is nicknamed "Toad" and he's a Dallas Fan.

Before we left a real toad was in my garage. I tried to "herd" it outside. It got away and got under the pump. Redskins lost barely.

The next time (Sep 05), another toad appeared as we were leaving for the airport. This time I was able to shoo him outdoors. Redskins won barely.

The last time (Dec 05) , I accidently ran over a toad on the way out of the garage on the way to the game. Redskins squash Dallas.

Coincidence?

I've also noticed that Joe Gibbs switched from the Black to the Burgundy Script "R" hat which coincided with their great improvement last year.

Run another toad over :laugh: j/p

Weird one for me...

I cant go to any games when we play Dallas....EVER.

I have missed 3 Dallas games over the past 8+ years....everytime i miss a Dallas game (not going to FEDEX I mean)...we have won.

Whenever I go we lose. Last year, i abided by this "rule" and of course we won again. This year, same deal...not going. I go, we lose...simple as that. I missed Darrell's last game and also a MNF game vs. Dallas about 8 or so years ago and of course we won both.

Im not testing the football gods anymore...or atleast for a while. :(

Oh, I've got tons! The list:

I don't watch any pre-game shows. I'll DVR "Skins Late Nite," but I won't watch until AFTER the game. The last time I watched a pre-game show was before Super Bowl XVIII -- which we all know didn't happen;

If I'm at home, I'll change into my white Doug Williams jersey four minutes before kickoff, turn on the radio three minutes before kickoff and turn on the TV (with the mute on) two minutes before kickoff. I also always wear my burgundy Redskins sweat pants with the gold and white strips down the side;

I always sit on the right-hand corner of the couch facing the TV during games;

I wear my burgundy Redskins socks;

I don't watch the halftime show, electing to not watch or listen to anything and knowing halftime is 13 minutes long;

I don't take phone calls or play on the Internet during games;

I don't listen to any Redskins-oriented post-game shows until the day after.

Does this make me obssessive compulsive?

I hang my Redskins flag outside for all to see in the morning. I watch every Redskin pre game show on the TV then switch to the radio to hear Sonny, Sam and what's his name. Make sure the fridge is stocked with beer and sodas for my other Redskin fanatic friends to enjoy. Make sure my daughter is wearing one of her many Redskin T-shirts and then kick back and enjoy the most nerve racking 3 hours of my life.

my superstitions have changed since i've come up to law school in carlisle, pa at Dickinson, lucky for me though i went to dickinson undergrad and was well aware of the summer home of the washington redskins known as the GMAN. so i now superstitiously make my way to gman, order a bloody mary to recover from my long night of "studying," then make dan the bartender give me the remotes so i can change all the tv's over to the channel that is showing the skins game and listen to all the eagles fans yell at me to put their game back on.

If the Redskins are doing poorly, and I'm not at the game, I need to turn off the TV for a minute.

Case in point:

On MNF last year, after Roy Williams horsecollared Brunell and threw him for a loss late in the 4th quarter, setting up 3rd & 27, I turned the TV off and fumed for a bit.

I turned the TV back on, and I see this beautiful pass decending from the apex of it's arc, into the hands of a certain #89.

Badda boom, badda bing.

Don't go into the kitchen when the other team has the ball. Even if they have to go 80 or 90 yards for a TD, I'll hear "TD... whoever" just about everytime I do. Alot of times its hard because I don't want to go in there when the Skins are on offense. I'm gonna have to get a mini-fridge and put it in the TV room.

When there doing well in a game and it's while I'm sitting, I remain seated...vice versa if standing or if my Redskin ballcap is off or on while they are on a roll. There's lots of other quirky little things I might do, too. My friends and family take notice of it and have fun at my expense. I just tell them, that's right...I am ate up with it. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Archived