Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Major Richard "Dick" Winters passes

ardowling

One of the men that helped make "The Greatest Generation" a reality and a simple truth. The way he always credited others and never claimed to be a hero, but served with many spoke volumes about his character. My condolences to his family and my thanks for all he did to bring the accounts of Easy Co. to the attention of the public.

Rest in Peace Sir, you have earned it.

One of the men that helped make "The Greatest Generation" a reality and a simple truth. The way he always credited others and never claimed to be a hero, but served with many spoke volumes about his character. My condolences to his family and my thanks for all he did to bring the accounts of Easy Co. to the attention of the public.

Rest in Peace Sir, you have earned it.

Couldn't have said this better myself.

Rest in peace.

I've watched Band of Brothers a million times and just watching the interviews with Major Winters was something else, as was the interviews from the other veterans from Easy Company.

An American hero, truly.

Quoting from a letter he received-

"I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said, 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said 'No...but I served in a company of heroes..."

Quoting from a letter he received-

"I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said, 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said 'No...but I served in a company of heroes..."

Easily one of the most powerful and touching moments I've ever seen in a movie or TV show. And it was 100% heartfelt and real.

What an amazing person.

Rest in Peace.

Richard_Winters.jpeg

I read Ambroses Band of Brothers, I read Winters more band of brothers, and I read Malarky's beyond band of brothers....

The thing that really leaped out at me the most about that entire series with regard to Winters was how far he had come. He was sweeping up his fathers grocery store before the war. He enlists in the army; and by the time Germany surrendered he was a major who commanded hundreds of men who respected him. Then after the war was over; when his friend asks what he's going to do; he talk about going back to sweeping out his fathers grocery store.

Think about what a super stud that guy was, and what would have happenned to him if no war had occured. It boggles the mind that their are people just walking around out there with such greatness in them. That was my takek away from the entire band of brothers series. Quietly competent and brave...

Hears leutenant dyke complaining on the eve of the battle of the bulge; winters says you have a bigger problem leutenant dyke.........

Great stuff.

You think about what the war did for him; what

Richard_Winters.jpeg

I read Ambroses Band of Brothers, I read Winters more band of brothers, and I read Malarky's beyond band of brothers....

The thing that really leaped out at me the most about that entire series with regard to Winters was how far he had come. He was sweeping up his fathers grocery store before the war. He enlists in the army; and by the time Germany surrendered he was a major who commanded hundreds of men who respected him. Then after the war was over; when his friend asks what he's going to do; he talk about going back to sweeping out his fathers grocery store.

Think about what a super stud that guy was, and what would have happenned to him if no war had occured. It boggles the mind that their are people just walking around out there with such greatness in them. That was my takek away from the entire band of brothers series. Quietly competent and brave...

Hears leutenant dyke complaining on the eve of the battle of the bulge; winters says you have a bigger problem leutenant dyke.........

Great stuff.

You think about what the war did for him; what

. . . some are born great, some achieve greatness, some have greatness thrust upon them.

LINK

PHILADELPHIA -- Richard "Dick" Winters, the Easy Company commander whose World War II exploits were made famous by the book and television miniseries "Band of Brothers," died last week in central Pennsylvania. He was 92.

Winters died following a several-year battle with Parkinson's disease, longtime family friend William Jackson said Monday.

An intensely private and humble man, Winters had asked that news of his death be withheld until after his funeral, Jackson said. Winters lived in Hershey, Pa., but died in suburban Palmyra.

The men Winters led expressed their admiration for their company commander after learning of his death.

William Guarnere, 88, said what he remembers about Winters was "great leadership."

"When he said 'Let's go,' he was right in the front," Guarnere, who was called "Wild Bill" by his comrades, said Sunday night from his South Philadelphia home. "He was never in the back. A leader personified."

Another member of the unit living in Philadelphia, Edward Heffron, 87, said thinking about Winters brought a tear to his eye.

"He was one hell of a guy, one of the greatest soldiers I was ever under," said Heffron, who had the nickname "Babe" in the company. "He was a wonderful officer, a wonderful leader. He had what you needed, guts and brains. He took care of his men, that's very important."

--------

RIP to a great man.

Full article at link.

Archived