Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: House votes to ban reading texts while driving

MattFancy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/legislature/bal-texting-reading-ban0311,0,3305888.story

Maryland's House of Delegates has voted to prohibit reading text messages while driving.

Delegates voted 135-2 in support of the measure Thursday.

Violators of the proposed ban would be guilty of a misdemeanor and could face fines of up to $500.

Baltimore County Del. James Malone is behind the measure that would close a loophole in Maryland's ban on texting while driving. Last year, state lawmakers voted to prohibit writing and sending texts while driving, but the new law did not prevent residents from reading texts behind the wheel.

edit: just saw this article too.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/legislature/bal-md.texting19feb19,0,2350465.story

Maryland lawmakers want to tighten a new state law by blocking motorists from reading text messages - not just writing them - as part of their perennial review of distracted-driving issues.

The General Assembly has long wrestled with how much to restrict driver cell-phone use. It took its first timid step last year, passing a ban only on sending text messages, a misdemeanor traffic offense that carries up to a $500 fine.

This year, lawmakers say, they plan to outlaw text-message reading - and some believe they have enough support for an all-out ban on hand-held cell phone use, forcing chatty Maryland drivers to use hands-free devices.

Just seven states and the District of Columbia have such a broad prohibition, though many cities impose those limits, as do more than 50 countries.

"The time has come," said Sen. Michael G. Lenett, a Montgomery County Democrat who has pushed for cell-phone restrictions since joining the Senate in 2007. "We have all kinds of momentum."

Lenett told a receptive committee of senators on Thursday that barring text-messaging last year was "significant," but "we cannot stop there."

The bill now moves to the Maryland Senate for consideration

Well this is interesting. I understand how reading texts while driving can be distracting. But couldn't looking at a GPS be just as distracting? I didn't have a problem with the ban on texting while driving, but reading a text while driving seems a little over the top.

Not really, although programming a gps is dangerous while driving. I know with my gps it's just a quick flash now and then to look at how many miles are left til the next turn or a quick check to look at the graphic to make sure I know what road I'm supposed to take.

Reading however, takes longer and takes your eyes off the road for too many seconds at a time.

At least I think that's true. Plus, the GPS is usually on the window or in the line of sight, while you have to look away from traffic entirely to read your text.

Not really, although programming a gps is dangerous while driving. I know with my gps it's just a quick flash now and then to look at how many miles are left til the next turn or a quick check to look at the graphic to make sure I know what road I'm supposed to take.

Reading however, takes longer and takes your eyes off the road for too many seconds at a time.

At least I think that's true. Plus, the GPS is usually on the window or in the line of sight, while you have to look away from traffic entirely to read your text.

I have a built-in GPS and mine has limited access while the vehicle is in motion.

Yeah I guess that's true. But I've seen people who just have their GPS sitting in their laps while they drive.

I understand wanting to make it safer, but how will they know if you are reading a text or dialing a number?

Driving and sending text messages is distracting, but if they're going to ban that they should ban the 20 people per day I see driving around while also dissecting their cheeseburger and then eating it. I was alongside a guy doing 80 on the highway once, he had a drink in one hand, a burger in the other, ipod earbuds in, and a map laid out on his lap covering the steering wheel- the wheel was being manipulated by his knees. It was like some sort of guiness record attempt for most dangerous collection of things to do at once in a car.

If fiddling with an electronic device while driving is to become illegal then so should eating, reading a GPS/Map, doing makeup which I see women doing constantly, talking on the phone, etc. It only seems fair. Besides, what do they think about people like me? I don't send texts while moving, I wait until I'm stopped at a red light or something to send a quick response sometimes if I know I have time before the light changes. I suppose sitting still at a red light and sending a message that says "Hold on I'm driving give me a few minutes" is a bad thing.

Driving and sending text messages is distracting, but if they're going to ban that they should ban the 20 people per day I see driving around while also dissecting their cheeseburger and then eating it. I was alongside a guy doing 80 on the highway once, he had a drink in one hand, a burger in the other, ipod earbuds in, and a map laid out on his lap covering the steering wheel- the wheel was being manipulated by his knees. It was like some sort of guiness record attempt for most dangerous collection of things to do at once in a car.

If fiddling with an electronic device while driving is to become illegal then so should eating, reading a GPS/Map, doing makeup which I see women doing constantly, talking on the phone, etc. It only seems fair. Besides, what do they think about people like me? I don't send texts while moving, I wait until I'm stopped at a red light or something to send a quick response sometimes if I know I have time before the light changes. I suppose sitting still at a red light and sending a message that says "Hold on I'm driving give me a few minutes" is a bad thing.

I agree 100% with everything you said here. If they want to go after phones now, they better go after other things next.

:ols::ols:

Now it would be even more awesome if he was a member too.

But officer (looks at badge) Cowboyssuck2, there was a rumor about a skins signing.

Officer: Reading a Florio thread may be a felony, son. Sit tight. I need to check with my partner. Hey, Donutskinsfan, what do you think about...

Maybe a stupid question but if I'm driving down the road under the MD law and place a call or check my vm....can the officer pull me over for "texting"

That's a good question. How will they be able to tell? And what if you're reading facebook or twitter? Its a ban against reading texts, not reading your phone in general

Well this is interesting. I understand how reading texts while driving can be distracting. But couldn't looking at a GPS be just as distracting? I didn't have a problem with the ban on texting while driving, but reading a text while driving seems a little over the top.

Just watch the road please. When texting or reading a text your eyes are off the road for an average of 3-5 seconds...those of us who do not drive suburban assault vehicles would greatly appreciate it if you could be a tad more considerate when driving as we don't want to be your hood ornament.

They should just ban using a cell phone in car altogether, it would be so simple that way. How is a police officer going to prove that you where reading a text? I can see all of these cases being tried in court and wasting the court systems time.

This would still allow hands free devices to be used, which I am not convinced are that much safer, since I have seen and been driving with people who have done some pretty dumb things while driving and talking on a hands free device.

As well they should. I just bought a smart phone and o can barely DIAL AN F'IN PHONE NUMBER, let alone read a text while driving. It's unfortunately a evolutionary product of our society: NOW NOW NOW NOW

That's why I love my car's built in bluetooth system. Makes dialing as easy as saying the number. Now writing texts on the touch screen is another story, but I'm getting better thanks to the autocorrect spelling.

They just need to ban any type of impaired driving, whether its a cell phone, book, hamburger, slaping your kid whatever, watch the road. Hate to give the cops that kind of generic freedom but it is what it is.

I see the point you are trying to make, but then you would make people have to drive by themselves to ensure nothing can distract them.

Archived