Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Zorn "I'm not worried about my job"

OxonHillSkinsFan89

*Again I ran another search before posting*

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/sep/22/zorn-on-radio/

Jim Zorn just completed his radio segment on 980 and the only real news is that he confirmed Pete Kendall isn’t under consideration at this point to come back as the right guard.

We start with the Will Jim Get Fired portion of the interview ...

*(On job security impacted by Detroit game): "I won’t even answer that question. I’m trying to get ready for Detroit. I’m not worried about my job."

And now starting with the beginning of the segment. ...

*(On if the win felt like a win): "Absolutely. When I looked at that scoreboard at the end of the game, we were ahead. I know when I walked off that field, there were other symptons going on as far as our lack of production in the red zone and things like that and those are things we have to attend to. It’s hard to be depressed after a game you win. Our players worked so hard all week long to do everything. There were a lot of things that contributed to the win. I don’t care if it was 6-0, it was a win .Do we have things to work on? Absolutely."

*(On offense outside the red zone): "I was very excited how we executed the plan, we just ran into some problems in the red zone, either with the call – me calling the halfback pass on third down instead of first down, I would probably change that. As far as how we got down there, we passed and ran. They tightened their defense up and stopped our run. It wasn’t as productive as it was in the middle of the field.

*(On predictable red zone play calling): "I don’t believe I have [become predictable]. You can imagine every week there’s a different defense that is to be faced and there is a different plan. I don’t have the same list of plays on our game plan as I did the week before, especially the week before when things get tight, the field gets shortened, the decisions come quicker. If people would have been what we were trying to do and how we were stopped, it was explained to me by just watching the video."

*(On Devin Thomas on kickoff returns): "I think we’re going to stay with that plan. Rock is our kickoff returner and our starter but I would like to get Devin in the game for a change of pace much like we did with Santana Moss on punt returns. It does create a different feel for these guys. It’s got to bother Rock because he wants to be in there every minute. Devin’s doing a pretty good job with that.

*(On second fourth-down call late in game): "I had three timeouts so I wanted to use one there and take a breath and think about the situation. We felt like we could get the first down and picked out what I felt was the best play, running right behind Chris Samuels. What happened on the line of scrimmage, our offensive line decided to block it out a little more instead of more downhill and it strung the play out. It was a very frustrating play to watch because had we blocked it differently – and it’s their choice – it might have been a different outcome. If I was to look back on that call, I would call the same play."

– Ryan O’Halloran

This made me so joyful if only that could become more of an immediate impact in future games:

*(On Devin Thomas on kickoff returns): "I think we’re going to stay with that plan. Rock is our kickoff returner and our starter but I would like to get Devin in the game for a change of pace much like we did with Santana Moss on punt returns. It does create a different feel for these guys. It’s got to bother Rock because he wants to be in there every minute. Devin’s doing a pretty good job with that.

[/Quote]

I have to be honest, I hear a lot of the players being blamed, but very little self-criticism from Zorn. Only bothers me because the players have to hear these things.

How about this?

I was very excited how we executed the plan, we just ran into some problems in the red zone, either with the call – me calling the halfback pass on third down instead of first down, I would probably change that.

He probably should have said this earlier, but to be honest Sonny didn't really leave him much choice but to be defensive about it.

*(On offense outside the red zone): "I was very excited how we executed the plan, we just ran into some problems in the red zone, either with the call – me calling the halfback pass on third down instead of first down, I would probably change that.

Holy crap! Did he just admit he was wrong? Has this ever happened before?

Holy crap! Did he just admit he was wrong? Has this ever happened before?

It has happened a few times. The last time I remember him owning up to a bad offensive call was when he called a fade in the end zone to Santana Moss last year. He said afterwards that he wished he had that one back.

I mean, honestly, what do you expect him to say? Zorn does need to look at himself and his playcalling more. His stubbornness on that matter could result in a similar experience as Spurrier who just didn't want to believe that his schemes couldn't work as he intended.

What makes you think that he doesn't? I certainly saw a change in playcalling from week one to week two. I actually thought the playcalling was MUCH better in this game.

What makes you think that he doesn't? I certainly saw a change in playcalling from week one to week two. I actually thought the playcalling was MUCH better in this game.

Moving down the field is useless if you can't put points on the board. True, Sellers and Thomas' drops clearly were 8 point swings, but how many plays were called in the red zone that went nowhere.

The fact is the Redskins scoring offense has been horrendous. The Redskins haven't reached 30 points under Zorn. They were 28th in scoring last year, even worse if you consider the 2nd half collapse. They scored 100 pts during that 2-6 stretch (12.5/game). Guess what the worst team was last year? The Bengals with 204 points over 16 games (12.75/game). By the way, we also played some teams with terrible scoring defenses last year. 6 of the 10 worst teams.

This year hasn't been better. The only team that has scored less points is the Rams.

It has happened a few times. The last time I remember him owning up to a bad offensive call was when he called a fade in the end zone to Santana Moss last year. He said afterwards that he wished he had that one back.

True. I was more surprised about an admission about this particular play, though. In the two pressers since the game, he kept saying he had set it up with the run and it was on the chart and it was something they practiced. I'm just surprised he didn't stick to his story about this play. I'm surprised it took him two days to see what everyone else in the world already seemed to know.

Wait...no I'm not. :/

FREAKING EVERYONE ON THE PLANET KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO DO THAT....

In his defense, I fully expected a double reverse fullback pass to and ineligible lineman. I even called it out.

Zorn made me look like a fool on that play.

Archived