Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

6 year old drives car to school. Made it 6 miles!

sideshow24

http://news.aol.com/article/6-year-old-drives-family-car-to-school/295688

6-Year-Old Drives Family Car to School

AP

posted: 1 DAY 20 HOURS AGO

WICOMICO CHURCH, Va. (Jan. 6) - A 6-year-old Virginia boy who missed his bus tried to drive to school in his family's sedan -- and crashed.

His parents were charged with child endangerment. State police said the boy suffered only minor injuries and authorities drove him to school after he was evaluated at a local hospital for a bump on his head. He arrived shortly after lunch, Sgt. Tom Cunningham said.

It happened around 7:40 a.m. Monday on Route 360, about 61 miles east of Richmond.

The boy, whose name wasn't released, missed the bus, took the keys to his family's 2005 Ford Taurus and drove nearly six miles toward school while his mother was asleep, police said.

He made at least two 90-degree turns, passed several cars and ran off the rural two-lane road several times before hitting an embankment and utility pole about a mile and a half from school.

The boy told police he learned to drive playing Grand Theft Auto and Monster Truck Jam video games.

"He was very intent on getting to school," said Northumberland County Sheriff Chuck Wilkins. "When he got out of the car, he started walking to school. He did not want to miss breakfast and PE."

His parents, Jacqulyn Deana Waltman, 26, and David Eugene Dodson, 40, are each charged with child endangerment, Wilkins said. Waltman is being held without bond. Dodson was released on a $5,000 bond.

It was not clear if they had attorneys. The boy and his 4-year-old brother were placed in protective custody. "This really is a story of miracles," Wilkins said. "The Lord was with him, along with everybody else on the highway."

This story almost made me cry when I read it yesterday. He has screw up parents and took the car because he missed the bus and wanted to get to school to eat breakfast. His f-up mom was asleep.

Another source said the mom was asleep(passed out :whoknows:) and the father was under court order not to allow the mother to be alone with them. That's why he was arrested.

How could a Six year old simply miss the school bus? Shouldn't the mother be awake to make sure her son is ready, eats breakfast etc. and take him to the bus?

Why is a 6 year old playing GTA?

How did he reach the pedals and still see over the steering wheel for that long?

This is nuts!

I heard about this from a coworker. Crazy. I wonder if the kid tried to wake his mom up before taking the car? If he did and couldn't then she was obviously passed out, although she definitely should have been awake anyway to see him off to school. The fact that the father was already under court order to not leave the boy alone with her speaks volumes. With all the other bits of bad parenting, it's no surprise he's allowed to play GTA at age 6. :doh:

I heard about this from a coworker. Crazy. I wonder if the kid tried to wake his mom up before taking the car? If he did and couldn't then she was obviously passed out, although she definitely should have been awake anyway to see him off to school. The fact that the father was already under court order to not leave the boy alone with her speaks volumes. With all the other bits of bad parenting, it's no surprise he's allowed to play GTA at age 6. :doh:

I've heard from some people who live out that way that the kid did try to wake the mother up and couldn't.

Two levels: That's impressive as hell that the kid could drive that far and navigate traffic that well... and was that determined to get to school (for breakfast and gym)

That's pathetic as hell that the parents, especially the Mom is so absent from his life that she doesn't send him off to school and he can re-enter the house, rifle around, start the car and leave and no one notices.

It makes you ask yourself why Bob Barker spent all those years carrying on about animals. What about spaying and neutering humans.

I wouldn't say that. A kid with no driving skills probably would have just harmlessly backed into a ditch at low speed to begin with. This kid used his GTA skills to drive onto a major road, putting him at serious risk.

But you're right that GTA isn't THE problem. What a couple of deadbeats for parents. Just terrible.

No, the parents letting their 6 year old play a M rated game IS a problem... I wish Rockstar could sue these parents, because Rockstar's going to get sued by people who do stupid **** they learned from the game... It's too bad that the ESRB is just a "guideline" and any store can sell an M rated game to anyone... Most just have company policies preventing it...

I wouldn't say that. A kid with no driving skills probably would have just harmlessly backed into a ditch at low speed to begin with. This kid used his GTA skills to drive onto a major road, putting him at serious risk.

But you're right that GTA isn't THE problem. What a couple of deadbeats for parents. Just terrible.

Imagine if he unlocked the hidden sexy part of GTA. He'd be the Mack of Kindergarden during recess :doh:

How could a Six year old simply miss the school bus? Shouldn't the mother be awake to make sure her son is ready, eats breakfast etc. and take him to the bus?

Why is a 6 year old playing GTA?

How did he reach the pedals and still see over the steering wheel for that long?

This is nuts!

I automatically picture the kid from O Brother Where Art Thou that drove the getaway vehicle through the burning barn while sitting on the stack of books with wooden blocks strapped to his feet!

Archived