Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FB in the draft this year

RWJ

There is some decent talent at FB and we are supposed to target a FB in the draft as Seller's is still the man, but he is getting long in the tooth, so to say.

The FB position is being underrated in this year's draft and there are some gems such as and in no particular order:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/fb/jacobhester.html

Jacob Hester

Height: 6-0 | Weight: 228 | 40-Time: 4.65

Official Bio

Strengths:

Tough and a hard worker...An instinctive runner...Does a nice job in short-yardage situations...Has good hands and runs good routes...Versatile...Has a great motor and always gives 100%...Team player...Loves the game...A terrific special teamer.

Weaknesses:

A FB / RB 'tweener....Undersized and lacks the ideal bulk you look for...Isn't strong or powerful enough...Will struggle to match up as a blocker and needs to be more aggressive...Isn't an elusive runner or a big play threat...Not real quick or athletic.

Notes:

A relative of former Pittsburgh Steeler great Terry Bradshaw...Started at running back as a senior...Jack of all trades, master of none who does everything well but nothing great...The type of player that coaches love and all good teams need but his calling card is intangibles, not physical tools..Can make a roster and contribute but he doesn't really profile as much more than a backup at the professional level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD

2004 12 20 123 6.2 0 2 21 1

2005 13 25 114 4.6 2 11 63 2

2006 13 94 440 4.7 6 35 269 3

2007 14 225 1,103 4.9 12 14 106 1

Totals 52 364 1,780 4.9 20 62 459 7

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/fb/owenschmitt.html

Owen Schmitt

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 260 | 40-Time: 4.85

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has good size and a solid frame...Really tough, strong and powerful...Outstanding blocker...Runs hard and is a load to bring down..Has good hands and runs decent routes...Effective in short yardage situations..Hard worker and a true team player.

Weaknesses:

Is not a great natural athlete...Speed and quickness are just average at best...Is not real elusive and offers very little in space...Needs to take a little better care of the football...Isn't a big play threat...Will play too high at times...Upside is limited.

Notes:

Began his college career at Division 3 Wisconsin-River Falls and then sat out in '04 after transferring...A monster in the weight room...What you see is what you get with this guy...A classic throwback with excellent intangibles who isn't necessarily one-dimensional but will definitely earn his paycheck as a lead blocker in the pros.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD

2003 9 193 1,063 5.5 5 2 10 0

2004 DNP - - - - - - -

2005 12 48 380 7.9 2 8 76 0

2006 13 65 351 5.4 7 12 91 1

2007 13 47 272 5.8 4 12 121 1

Totals 47 353 2,066 5.9 18 34 298 2

Both of these backs will be gone by the 3rd. Owen Schmitt would be my choice in the 3rd. Kids a beast and from Fairfax, VA....BRING HIM HOME :)

Being partial and living in WV now and being born and raised in Fairfax, Va and living there for 28 years, I agree. The guy is a throwback and if we are willing to spend a 3rd rounder on him, he will be ours. He can lead/run block and his speed is deceptive at running the ball. I predict he will have one heck of a NFL career.

i say we already have the best

we just need to add a top flight te to allow cooley to play more of an h-back or fullback role

i really wanted us to grab mike bush out of lousiville last year(and i guess we are yet to see him as a raider?) -

i believe 2 te sets (especially w cooley's versitility) may fit jc and cp's and maybe even our wr's skill sets

i like exploting talent and feel that is what using cooley full time as an "h/f back"

as far as draft prospects to fit my "vision" and complement cooley at te are unknown to me???

i like fred davis at usc- maybe doesnt fit perfect(little too much of a backup ooley) but i would like him as a 3rd of even 2nd despit other needs

maybe need a bigger more prototype te??

go trick the giants out of shockey?

i say we already have the best

Sellers isn't getting any younger.

There's a fb from Arkansas who blocked for Jones and McFadden. He's a good receiver too. Perfect for the WCO.

Some are saying he'll be the guy who is considered a steal in a few years no matter where he's drafted on the second day.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=32821

A lot would depend on what happens with Rock Cartwright (wasn't he a 7th round pick?) IMO, Owen Schmitt would be a good addition. Right now I'm a little down on Sellers after the Seattle game; still he's a beast, and currently fills the need. However, we have serious needs elsewhere, and several FBs on the roster currently. Still, if Owen slid to the 4th or 5th round, I'd be sorely tempted.

I say this because there is something about the WVU fullback that I really like; and I think he'd be the kind of person who'd be a Redskin for life, if he could make it here.

There are several things that have to be factored here. Our new west coast offense requires more versatility from it's FB's than our previous scheme. However, we must remember we have a solid, capable veteran in Mike Sellers. Because of the relatively low importance placed on the position by other teams, solid FB talent is always available in the later rounds and undrafted pool. I think the undrafted free agent pool is where we should look. Here are a couple guys that as of now fall into that category. I will add that being a capable #3TE would only make this prospect more enticing because for now all we have is Ecker and he is unproven, to say the least.

Jason Goode(local UMD product)*should be decent fodder at least

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=33210

Marcel Reece(converted WR)*very interesting prospect

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=72875

No fullback is worth taking before the 5th round honestly

Not even if it was a guy named Alstott? Seriously, its true the FB position has been devalued of late, but I honestly think that Owen Schmitt's ability to play at FB, TE, HB Would be a great assett for the Redskins, and he is worth a 3rd Round pick. The question is will he be there when we pick in the Third. A lot of teams are rumored to covet him :/ Let's not forget the blow up Sellars had against Collins in Seattle. or the number of easy drops he had this season. Sellars is a good Fullback, but he's started to show his age.

Archived