Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Now the Chinese are putting roofies in our kids' toys

SUSkinsFan

This can't be accidental. There are just too many cases to assume the Chinese are just stupid or careless.

What in the hell could you possibly use GHB for in the manufacturing process? I swear. This father is about ready to go over and raise some holy hell in Kung Pao Claus' workshop. :mad:

This can't be accidental. There are just too many cases to assume the Chinese are just stupid or careless.

What in the hell could you possibly use GHB for in the manufacturing process? I swear. This father is about ready to go over and raise some holy hell in Kung Pao Claus' workshop. :mad:

Just stay away from General Tso, I NEED his chicken.

The weird thing is that it wasn't GHB ... it's a chemical that turns into GHB after digestion.

We need to get PeterMP in here to translate this:

Australian officials told Reuters that instead of the safe chemical 1,5-pentanediol, the potentially dangerous chemical 1,4-butanediol was used during manufacturing. When ingested, 1,4-butanediol becomes GHB. It can cause drowsiness, unconsciousness, seizures, coma and death.
:whoknows:

The weird thing is that it wasn't GHB ... it's a chemical that turns into GHB after digestion.

I misread that, thanks. (Tends to happen in the midst of your second of four consecutive double shifts on four hours of sleep.) :doh:

I understand that lots of harmful chemicals are used in manufacturing that, when combined with something else, become absolutely harmless. I just don't understand how, when you know a product is going to be used by small children, and could potentially be ingested, you don't account for what it will become when it breaks down.

I have a one-year old daughter, who thankfully never really went through that stage where she put everything in her mouth. But I certainly will be calling my ex tomorrow and telling her to check the labels on any new toys she buys. We won't be buying anything from China anytime soon.

geez get a grip, material synthesis probably requires a lot of different chemicals. What is more reasonable, a giant chinese conspiracy to get a few kids sick, or poor production standards from a recently developed economy?

I don't think it is accidental, but I don't think it is on purpose in the manner you are suggesting. There was a case where they did something similar w/ toothpaste that mostly went to central American countries. Instead of one chemical they essentially added antifreeze.

What is happening is they are using the cheaper material/chemical. That way they stay more profitable.

**EDIT** In the toothpaste case, the goverment official that was suppossed to be checking them was even bribed. He has been executed.

We need to get PeterMP in here to translate this: :whoknows:

The one they were suppossed to use has one more carbon (4 vs. 5). Your body actually makes some GHB. What they are putting in can be converted to GHB so it appears that you have an increase in the body of one of the biological precursors for GHB, and your body just naturally converts it to GHB. Even if the other molecule leaks in, it can't easily be converted to GHB. Taking Carbons off a molecule like that isn't easy chemistry, and your body is fairly specific w/ which reactions it catalyzes.

I saw a Doctor from Arkansas Childrens Hospital on TV this morning discussing treatments he's been doing on children who have become sick from this.

I never thought I'd agree with Meredith Viera on Today, but I do on this. I'm not buying toys made in China. Sorry Walmart.

I saw a Doctor from Arkansas Childrens Hospital on TV this morning discussing treatments he's been doing on children who have become sick from this.

I never thought I'd agree with Meredith Viera on Today, but I do on this. I'm not buying toys made in China. Sorry Walmart.

It isn't that easy. My daughter loves Elmo. Try finding an Elmo toy not from China.

Simple solution.

Stop buying Chinese products.

I have.

But, but, but, it's a glaobal economy. You'll hurt America if you don't send your dollar away.

Just kidding, I never started buying Chinese crap and have been blasted about it.

Global Economy= When the restrictions cost to much here, send it where they don't. They have zero envirormental protection laws as well.

It isn't that easy. My daughter loves Elmo. Try finding an Elmo toy not from China.
Sorry Peter. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices.

Our ancestors did. My grandfather used to tell me how he used to get a Navel Orange in his stocking and that was an awesome present. That and a homemade toy.

We're spoiled.

Sorry Peter. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices.

Our ancestors did. My grandfather used to tell me how he used to get a Navel Orange in his stocking and that was an awesome present. That and a homemade toy.

We're spoiled.

I'll agree w/ that. Just saying it isn't that easy. Ever try to buy a pair of tennis shoes not made in China. I've yet to find a pair and have been looking in all of the normal stores for years.

I'll agree w/ that. Just saying it isn't that easy. Ever try to buy a pair of tennis shoes not made in China. I've yet to find a pair and have been looking in all of the normal stores for years.
I have not. But I will after today. This was pretty much the last straw for me w/ Chinese products.

I wonder if there is a way see the percentage of products that major chains like Target and Walmart carry are from China or other places?

It's easy to say "I just won't buy anything made in China" but seriously, try it. Make the effort to go to a couple of major stores- WalMart, Target, etc.- and see what you can find that isn't made in China. It is far more difficult than you might imagine.

Having said that as the father of a young child this kind of thing makes me crazy. I really don't have the resources to chemically test each and every toy that my son might come in contact with. We should be able to expect some measure of safety in our children's toys but apparently that's not the case. If they are going to be exposed to GHB from AquaDots where is the line? No radioactive waste in PlayDoh, we promise. Our pacifiers now 100% dioxin-free! New formula lite, all the nutrients and half the e-coli! I know, sounds rifdiculous but I'm trying to reach for extremes and I can't make up :pooh: as bad as the reality.

This is all about somebody's bottom line. So much manufacturing has been outsourced to China because of $$$ and nothing more. No environmental restrictions, no labor laws, no safety testing, none of those nitpicking little regulations that cut into profits. The American consumer desperately needs to make a stand about this and it isn't about China or Chinese manufacturers, it is about American companies and the greedmongers running them exposing us and our children to harm for a few more cents on the dollar.

This is all about somebody's bottom line. So much manufacturing has been outsourced to China because of $$$ and nothing more. No environmental restrictions, no labor laws, no safety testing, none of those nitpicking little regulations that cut into profits. The American consumer desperately needs to make a stand about this and it isn't about China or Chinese manufacturers, it is about American companies and the greedmongers running them exposing us and our children to harm for a few more cents on the dollar.

There is no safety testing for most of these products here either. It isn't as if you bring these jobs back from China and put there here this issue is going to go away.

There is no safety testing for most of these products here either. It isn't as if you bring these jobs back from China and put there here this issue is going to go away.

Oh I absolutely agree Peter. My point was not about taking jobs away from China, it was about demanding some accountability from the companies that are the root of this problem. The same companies move the same production to Iowa, Guatemala or Norway are going to try to do whatever they can to squeeze out an extra buck.

The frantic Xmas buying season is upon us, they all count on ravaging the landscape for every dollar they can lay their hands on now, it is the best time to make waves publicly and conspicuously about them marketing products that kill children. That's not an exaggeration, it is the issue.

Oh I absolutely agree Peter. My point was not about taking jobs away from China, it was about demanding some accountability from the companies that are the root of this problem. The same companies move the same production to Iowa, Guatemala or Norway are going to try to do whatever they can to squeeze out an extra buck.

The frantic Xmas buying season is upon us, they all count on ravaging the landscape for every dollar they can lay their hands on now, it is the best time to make waves publicly and conspicuously about them marketing products that kill children. That's not an exaggeration, it is the issue.

As Zguy stated, don't buy their products.

Archived