Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportingNews: Don't blame Turner; he was set up to fail

tr1

How does Norv manage to keep getting a free pass from the press?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=286235

By Mike Florio, Sporting News

Posted October 5, 2007

It's become fashionable over the past few days to wag a crooked finger at Chargers coach Norv Turner, the captain of a San Diego ship that's sinking faster than a smooth rock in a shallow pond.

But should Norv be blamed for the burgeoning mess?

Turner was positioned to fail from the start. If the Chargers were going to make a coaching change, they should have pulled the trigger in the days after the team choked in the AFC divisional playoffs. Instead, the powers-that-be opted to bring Marty Schottenheimer back for another year -- and changed their minds only after all the A-list candidates had been claimed.

So Norv was merely the best option on an otherwise empty shelf. After failed stints in Washington and Oakland, Turner's most appealing qualities likely were: (1) he was available; and (2) he would be too grateful for getting another shot to ever become the thorn in A.J. Smith's side that Schottenheimer was.

Turner also was a victim of the Chargers' tremendous success -- and unfulfilled promise -- in 2006. When a team wins a lot of the games that kind of count but can't win enough of the games that really count, it's hard to dig back out of the valley of zero-and-zero the following season. In 1998, for example, the Vikings won 15 regular-season games, and lost in the NFC title game. The following year, they started 2-4 before eventually rebounding to finish 10-6. In 2004, the Steelers soared to 15-1 but couldn't get to the Super Bowl. The next season, they were sputtering at 7-5 before catching fire -- and running the table.

In both of those cases, the head coach that experienced the highs and the lows of the prior season was present to guide the team through its attempt to re-focus on trying to win as many regular-season games as possible despite that gnawing feeling that no matter how many games are won from September through December it can all disappear in three hours on a January afternoon. In this case, Turner can't relate to the team -- and the team can't relate to him. So when he says to them, "We need to focus on winning these games one at a time, just like last year," the players will ask themselves, "What the hell does this guy know about what we did last year?"

The fact that Turner carried to the Chargers a career record of 59-83-1 likely has done little to enhance the players' willingness to buy into his approach. After winning only one of four games to start the season, Turner's task of getting through to the team suddenly has become more difficult.

On top of all of that, he's simply not a very good head coach.

As a result, Norv shouldn't be blamed for doing the best he can do under challenging circumstances. He didn't make the decision to hire himself. Sure, it might have been wise for him to realize that there was nowhere to go with this one but down, but the entire coaching mentality is based on upward mobility. No one can expect a coach to resist the chance to become the chief, even with two prior stints that were less than satisfying.

Thus, in this case, the blame should fall only on those who decided that it would be a good idea to fire Schottenheimer in February and replace him with Turner. Though Smith might not have gone with a two-time loser over continuity with Marty absent input or approval from someone named Spanos, Smith is the one who will take the fall when the season ends.

Of course, Chargers fans also could blame Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. After all, he didn't hire Turner to replace the Tuna, even though all signs were pointing in that direction. Jones instead went with Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips -- and Jones' team is looking almost as good as it ever has.

Almost as good as it was in the days when Norv was an excellent offensive coordinator. Before he became a lousy head coach.

So please, Chargers fans. Don't blame Norv for being what he is. And don't expect him to suddenly become something that he isn't. Instead, blame those who put the fate of the franchise in his less-than-capable hands.

Holy crap they are actually trying to blame someone other than Norv Turner or A.J. Smith for turning a top 4 NFL team into a disaster. Unbelievable. I thought they would have at least said Turner had to come in with new coordinators and new systems that the team doesn't know yet and tried to pin the failure on that but no...apparently Norv is failing because the team lost the AFC Championship last year and still feels sad or something.

This :pooh: just boggles my mind! Why is it so hard to just admit the obvious, the glaringly obvious fact that Norv Turner is incompetent as a HC? He sucks, period. End of story.

I can't imagine even trying to write this dreck, my brain would leak out my ears and strangle me.

I hope.

This :pooh: just boggles my mind! Why is it so hard to just admit the obvious, the glaringly obvious fact that Norv Turner is incompetent as a HC? He sucks, period. End of story.

Well they do state that:

On top of all of that, he's simply not a very good head coach.

The rest of the column is just fluff.

Archived