Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Father Killed Child Over Video Game

Father Killed Child Over Video Game

PHILADELPHIA -- A 25-year-old North Philadelphia man has been charged with killing his young daughter.The mother said 17-month-old Alayiah was violently punched by Tyrone Spellman over a video game."My baby is gone at the hands of her father," Mia Turman said tearfully. "I have to put her in the ground, I shouldn't have to do this."

As the 21-year-old took a nap inside their row-home on the 1500 block of 29th Street, Turman left Alayiah in the care of Spellman, who also goes by the name Anwar Salahuddin.Turman said that when she woke, "I asked why my baby not breathing. He says, 'She's breathing.' Her eyes were closed."Turman phoned police around noon. Medics responded and took Alayiah to Temple University Hospital, where the little girl was pronounced dead at 12:37 p.m.Police arrested Spellman, who lives on the 1500 block of North 29th Street, over the weekend.He was charged with murder, endangering the welfare of a child and possessing an instrument of crime.A medical examiner performed an autopsy on the child."His confession was she pulled the cords in the game, the system is -- the box itself -- fell, and he was upset and then responsible for paying for the game, so he hit her in her face twice," Turman said, adding that Spellman also allegedly slung the child over a chair.Eight-months pregnant with another baby girl, Turman was struggling with how to cope. She said she fell in love with a man who had never been violent before, and she wanted to know what would possess someone to kill a child.

"You can't give me a good enough answer to say why you would kill your baby," Turman said.The couple's second baby will be born with her dad charged with killing the sister she never met."I do not understand this. I will never understand this," Turman said.NBC 10 reporter Deanna Durante said a note on the door of the North Philadelphia row-home Monday night said not to judge Spellman because he would never hurt a child.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9824251/detail.html#

9824285_240X180.jpg

What is happening to america?

How do u hit a 17 month old baby twice on the face and then hit her with a chair?

Beats me. I think it said he threw her over the chair though. Either way, I'm 23 and have 2 sons. One is going on 4 and we just had our second about a month ago. I love them to death and live my life for them and my wife. I don't know that I could ever understand how someone could do something so horrible to someone so innocent.

a note on the door of the North Philadelphia row-home Monday night said not to judge Spellman because he would never hurt a child.

He hits a kid in the face, twice, throws her over a chair AND he would never hurt a child??????????????????

Yes, lets blame video games. Or maybe...lets blame this effing weirdo who instead of looking after his kid, plays video games. Seriously, I don't have kids, but if anyone touched my nieces, I'd effing tear them to shreds...I have quite a fiery temper but my nieces are the only ones who can damage/destroy my most valuable stuff (and they have on occassion) without me getting annoyed. Priorities, my friends. Objects can be replaced...

There is a debate in another thread talking how video games can impact certain individuals, and this case just proves that yes video game can have a negative impact with certain people, not all.

I'm just curious, how does the fact that he had a video game system prove that the video games caused his outburst?

I'm just curious, how does the fact that he had a video game system prove that the video games caused his outburst?

It doesn't. The article seems to imply that the outburst was financially-motivated, not based on letting out some rage after a session of Grand Theft Auto. Regardless, what a ridiculous story.

Madden) makes me more aggressive, because when I am online I don't want to be bothered. I am concentrating so hard to defeat an opponent, that I am truly into it hardcore.

Nothing would make me go out on the limb to hit a child though. This guy should be given a public stoning and Major League baseball pitchers should be invited.

I think this, while an extreme example, is an apt one as to the effect that video games CAN have on certain people. I know I can become much more irritable with my wife and kids when I'm engrossed in something; whether that be a Redskins game, or a really heated multiplayer video game.

That isn't to say that everyone is similarly engrossed or has similar reactions. I do think it is just another POSSIBLE bad influence on people -- from the point of view of focusing on self and making ones self happy. Frankly, if I was the Dr. of the Human Race and prescribing a "medication", it would not be additional self-indulgent/anti-social behavior. I think we have quite enough of that already, to tremendously ill effect.

All of that being said, I still play my computer games (and I still watch my Redskins games). I just try and be more aware of the effect they can have on me -- and try and contain them to appropriate times (after the kids are in bed for the night).

This reminds me a few years ago when MMORPGS were a novelty thing and Everquest was popular (I personally only played UO). So anyway, this idiot father was so into his games, that while babysitting, in order to not be disturbed while "playing", he stuffed his 2 year old daughter into a tiny cupboard and made it so she couldn't come out. Hours later he opens the cupboard and the poor girl flops out dead. The **** broke ribs her trying to shut the door on her and they pierced her lungs.

If I was a father...if I thought games or the internet were taking away time from my kids I'd just stop using it. What is wrong with people these days???

There is a debate in another thread talking how video games can impact certain individuals, and this case just proves that yes video game can have a negative impact with certain people, not all.

This is bull, this case doesn't prove the video games made this man kill his kid, the way it sounds it seems more like if he had no video games and the kid did something that destroyed another really expensive item that this guy would have done the same thing, say the kid destroyed a stereo system, would you be blaming the music for making this guy kill his kid?

People want to find something to blame as to why something happened that doesn't say that this jackass just was too crazy and killed his kid. People are doing that with the VT thing by blaming things on the school administration and police for not closing the campus even though it looked to them to be an isolated incident. People want to blame something, they want to say that this could have been prevented and sometimes the answer is no, everyone did everything right according to what they knew and things still turned out badly.

Video games are played by millions of people and they get immersed in them all the time and what do they do... they go off to school and work and live perfectly normal lives. Sometimes those violent games help them get out their agression and keep them from taking that agression out on actual people, I know it helped me that way, and I get more stressed and agrivated with people now that I have less time for video games.

The only reason video games played any role in this particular case whatsoever was because it was a video game console that was destroyed, if the girl had knocked over a $2000 television then people would have been blaming TV and movies for it.

I dont care if I get kicked off but this is ****ed up. That is one sick metally ill bloke. Over a stupid game. I swear to god the world is so ****ed up.

I feel sorry for the mother. She shouldn't have to bury her 1year old child over a Xbox.

God let her soul rest in peace.

I dont care if I get kicked off but this is ****ed up. That is one sick metally ill bloke. Over a stupid game. I swear to god the world is so ****ed up.

I feel sorry for the mother. She shouldn't have to bury her 1year old child over a Xbox.

God let her soul rest in peace.

Not a thing wrong with what you said. I agree. I get into video games quite a bit at times...but this is just outright ridiculous. The world is such a messed up place it's unbelievable. Hopefully this man dies a slow and painful death and proceeds to rot in hell for the rest of eternity

I gave up fighting the debate for video games because simply, the video game companies don't fight for themselves. This is just more ammunition for Jack Thompson in his insanely over zealous conquest to shut down video game companies. Fact: Everquest didn't force that guy to stuff his daughter into a cupboard, anybody that would even think to do that already had serious mental issues to begin with.

Fact: This guy would of flipped out if she broke something else that he enjoyed.

Fact: Even when I am getting frustrated while playing an exceptionally hard game, if my 17 month old daughter comes over and tries to pry the controller out of my hand so she can play, I think it's the cutest thing ever.

Some people just candle handle vieogames, same as movies, TV, music, etc. It's just harder for some people to differeniate between what is ok and what is not ok, and it's not any type of art form that is the direct cause of that.:2cents:

Archived