Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The most important question you will ever answer

Winslowalrob

I am still teaching in China and, amongst the many adorable examples of Chinglish to be found in the country, one that drives me nuts is "very delicious." I am convinced that, while technically right in a grammatical sense, very delicious should only be used in rare and special circumstances, almost to the point of never using it. And because a lot of people here overuse it (do you like Chinese food? I think its very delicious... do you like KFC? I think its very delicious... do you like sweets? I think its very delicious... do you like rice? I think its very delicious... etc) it grates me ears as a native English speaker. I got into an argument with some other people over whether it can and should be used, and I classed it in a special set of words that would not normally be accompanied by "very" (wonderful, gorgeous, and the like) but they argued you can always use it. To anyone that speaks English, am I insane, or does "very delicious" misuse the word "very"? I could also be both for focusing so much on it, but I am convinced the entire country of China has screwed this up.

wolf, I love China, and I think the people here are amongst the friendliest you can meet in any country. Its a great place to visit specifically because the people are awesome. I do not quite understand what you are getting at.

And Enter, is it American English that does not use it? I have been to a few other English speaking countries without really hearing it, but my other American friend backs me up on it kind of being misused (it is a literal translation from Chinese to English) vis a vis it is used SO often.

I would think it has something to do with their language and how the grammatical structure transfers to English.

Not knowing any Chinese, I'd agree with this. :)

I remember when I lived in Arlington driving through the Vietnamese part of town and all the shops would have names like 'Lucky World' which I assume made perfect sense in Vietnamese but translated into silly English phrases we Americans would never use.

This sounds like something similar, but what do I know?

something along those lines that annoys me is in the preamble to the constitution.......We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union........

:wtf: how can something be more perfect?

Maybe that's a reference to the U.K. which referred to itself as a "perfect union"?

Total guess, but it might be right. :)

The QB isn't "audiblizing" at the line. He's calling an audible.

Small thing, perhaps, in the grand scheme, but it's always rankled me.

Its not a coincidence that this is a common problem and the majority of color commentators are former offensive linemen. :laugh:

No offense to Jon Jansen. :)

Archived