Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Decrying the Silent Treatment, Archuleta Speaks Out

project myu

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/28/AR2006122801370.html

Decrying the Silent Treatment, Archuleta Speaks Out

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, December 29, 2006; Page E01

In the defensive huddle at the Washington Redskins' final practice of the season yesterday, safety Adam Archuleta thanked his teammates for supporting him during what has been the worst, most trying year of his six-year NFL career. Then he told some at Redskins Park that he intends to leave town shortly after tomorrow night's season finale, perhaps even immediately.

I feel kind of bad. But then I look at how small my last paycheck for 2006 is and.. Well, I guess I feel even worse for myself!

Archuleta said he has felt like an outcast since. "They haven't said anything to me," Archuleta said of the defensive staff.

Archuleta said he did have a 10-minute meeting with Coach Joe Gibbs around the time of his benching, but he has had no recent conversations with Gregg Williams, assistant head coach-defense.

"I talked to Coach Gibbs briefly, and he told me to keep busting my butt and to fight through it, which is fair," Archuleta said. "He pulled me in to try to boost my confidence earlier in the season, which I appreciated."

Gibbs remains classy..

Here's the thing. This is a professional sport and I would assume that both the players and coaches would atleast somewhat behave in a professional manner. But, the silent treatment? You got to be kidding me! I would hope the defensive staff would have more people skills than a pissed off girlfriend.

Just read this on the paper... I feel bad. AA hasn't played well and has struggled, and I like the play of Vernon Fox, but the way the team has treated him for it is just poor. I couldn't believe Greg Williams wouldn't talk to one of his players whom he recruited so hard and wanted top pay SO MUCH money too after shafting him on the bench. It's ok to put a player on the bench, but he is a man and deserves an explanation. I just don't understand this one.

Give me a break. Gibbs has no control over the players on this team--none. GW has free reign to run everything and it's embarrassing what he's done to AA.

Exactly...I agree 100% about your statement...plus...with Gibbs being Mr. Honest Christian man...how could he let coaches behave and treat people like this...and then you wonder why this team is well below .500 in Gibbs return...all the core Skins who have been let go and go to other teams and perform well and talk **** about this organization. The entire organization is a COMPLETE joke. You could take members off this board and run the Skins 10 times better...and that is sad.

I feel like there must have been something else going on that would cause this situation, a conflict of personalities or something. It is rather unprofessional to sit someone and never explain to them why they are out or what they need to work on at least (if that is what actually happened). I feel like these two guys clashed in several other places besides the field on gameday and that is what led to this thing working out the way it did. However, AA could have also been a big boy and gone to GW or even Gibbs and asked for help and actual coaching to try and get better and fit in more with the scheme. I think both these guys are really stubborn and just got pissed off at eachother and then refused to cooperate or communicate any more. Which is where Gibbs needs to step in and take things over and show both of these guys the bigger picture.

I was hoping GW would develope some people skills under Gibbs. From all accounts thats what killed him in Buffalo. Seems like he is wasting an opportunity to learn how to deal with people effectively from one of the best. Damn shame.

IMO, the sooner we show Greg Williams the door, the better off we'll be. I wonder what Gibbs thinks of this entire fiasco--it reflects very poorly on him as well.

I was hoping GW would develope some people skills under Gibbs. From all accounts thats what killed him in Buffalo. Seems like he is wasting an opportunity to learn how to deal with people effectively from one of the best. Damn shame.

Yeah, you think he would realize that people with his personality will never be more than a coordinator, and even alienate people from that position.

AA has been el busto on the field. You suck Archuleta!

Do you guys remember the miracle Dallas game? Archuleta blew coverage on Whitten TWICE in a row at the end. The first time Romo sits to pee overthrew, but the second one got them into FG range.

Granted, I think some of Williams' coverage schemes have been a little odd (why are LBs on WRs?) but I don't think Archuleta could cover himself.

I actually think Adam deserves a lot of credit for holding his tongue for this long and at least to all appearances not being a locker room cancer or troublemaker. Regardless of his play on the field, which was poor, he gets credit at me for that. The Rams game must have been really hard on his ego, especially considering how pourous the d was.

I suggested in another thread that there is a split going on. The offense still seems to be fighting and pulling for each other. The defense has many players just half-hearting it and have done so for large sections of the season. That could be entirely due to the way that Williams treats his players and has ostracized current and past players.

Oddly enough, I seem to remember Lavar claiming the same type of situation last year. Upset that he was benched, but (tried) to handle it some what maturally. Now, I don't want to argue about the Lavar issue, but lets face it, our defensive staff is rediculously egotistical.

You can't play good football without communication.. And if GW did in fact leave AA out in the cold, then I will have to rethink my stance on this situation..

We knew when we got him that AA wasn't a good cover safety and to isolate him like that just because he isn't doing something well, especially when we knew ahead of time is uncalled for..

Indeed. Something tells me no teams will be knocking down the doors at Redskins Park to talk to him this offseason :laugh:

IMO, the sooner we show Greg Williams the door, the better off we'll be. I wonder what Gibbs thinks of this entire fiasco--it reflects very poorly on him as well.

I'm really starting to believe the same thing. GW's just shows a lack of respect for people and an overestimation of his importance and his scheme. His arrogance is palpable.

i think it just boils down to GW is a jerk

Basically.

]']Oddly enough' date=' I seem to remember Lavar claiming the same type of situation last year. Upset that he was benched, but (tried) to handle it some what maturally. Now, I don't want to argue about the Lavar issue, but lets face it, our defensive staff is rediculously egotistical.[/quote']

exactly...i was saying this last year after the playoff lost...there were some bad defensive calls in that game but if you dared mention williams name negatively you got blasted...i think williams is a good coach but i hope this year showed him that w/o key players your schemes don't mean jack

They know he was the source for that ESPN article that is why he is getting the silent treatment. He knows that so why cry like a baby when you have consequences for your actions?

lol...yeah it's pretty clear that AA was the source...however, he was getting this treatment before the article

What's driving me nuts is that every time a Defensive player is benched it seems that the are alinated (SP??) by the coaches. Not Gibbs but the defensive coaches. That's BS!! I'm getting tired of this "I'm Better than you" mentality of GW's staff.

I kind of feel bad for AA. Before you jump all over me about feeling bad for a guy that makes millions that has nothinig to do with it. To be benched with no explanation is just not right. He was a good player before he got here and I can't seem to figure out how or why that can't even play him in a limited role like in the pass rush or rushing plays?? I understand that he's not that good in coverage but he's pretty good at stopping the run.

Archived