Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Felony charge for father who spanked son with belt

Ghost of

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=81061

By Casey Ross and Franci Richardson

Sunday, May 1, 2005

A Plymouth father facing a felony charge for using a belt to spank his 12-year-old son over forgotten homework says he's the victim of overzealous authorities with no business telling him how to discipline his child.

``My record is spotless and all of a sudden I have a felony charge?'' an exasperated Charles Enloe said following his arrest by Plymouth police.

``. . . How is a parent supposed to raise a child these days? You can't spank them, you can't yell at them in stores. I feel I was wrongly charged.''

Enloe, a 42-year-old divorced father, was charged with assault with a deadly weapon Thursday after his son and ex-wife reported the spanking to police. Authorities said Enloe's son, who was back in his father's care last night, did not suffer any injuries as a result of the incident.

The case, which also is being investigated by the state Department of Social Services, resurrects the controversial issue of when corporal punishment by parents crosses the line into abuse and criminal activity.

In a high-profile case in 1999, the state Supreme Judicial Court ruled parents have the right to spank their children if the discipline does not cause ``substantial risk'' of injury.

In that case, a Woburn minister was cleared of an abuse charge for using a belt to spank his 9-year-old son, which he said was in accordance with the Bible.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Social Services said the Plymouth case has prompted a ``nonemergency'' investigation because the boy did not appear to be in imminent danger.

Enloe, who insists he has no personal animosity toward police, said he is mostly upset that spanking his son could constitute a felony. He said he lightly tapped his son on the rear end three times after the boy forgot to bring his homework home from school.

Enloe said his son became scared after the spanking and called his mother, Diana Dematteo, who contacted police and filed for a temporary restraining order The next day, police arrested Enloe on the felony assault charge and took him to lockup, where he spent two hours before being charged in court. He pleaded innocent and was released on a promise to return June 1.

Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy Cruz said yesterday prosecutors will monitor the case to decide how to proceed if it reaches a jury trial. Meantime, debate will continue over when public authorities should become involved in private discipline.

``We have too much tolerance for violence in this country,'' said Dr. Kathleen Malley-Morrison, a Boston University professor who specializes in family violence. ``Research shows that if we raise children without spanking them, they look better and they're psychologically healthier.'' (yeah, the school shootings, violence, narcissistic pathologies of our younger generation and soulless juvenile killers have nothing to do with the emasculation of our culture and refusal to accept responsibility, to PARENT as adults and discipline our children--Ghost)

Enloe said the problem is not too much tolerance for violence, but a lack of tolerance for parents' beliefs on discipline. ``I did it out of love,'' he said of the spanking. ``. . . That's all a parent wants, is for their child to grow up right.''

A belt. :laugh:

I danced at the end of a switch many, many times growing up, and although it would not be my first, or second, or maybe even third option on a child, I would not hesitate to use one if I thought it was necessary.

When the government, or well intentioned (yet none-of-their-fuggin-business) strangers start raising, and paying for my child, then they can stick their nose into my business. Until then, stay out of it.

Spanking, when used properly, CAN be another effective way of disciplining children. The goal is to never have to use it. And then if you do, make sure you don't overuse it.

Disciplinig children is one of the most important jobs a parent has. No reason for spanking to be taken away as an option.

:2cents:

Enloe, a 42-year-old divorced father, was charged with assault with a deadly weapon Thursday after his son and ex-wife reported the spanking to police. Authorities said Enloe's son, who was back in his father's care last night, did not suffer any injuries as a result of the incident.

How do you get a deadly weapon out of a belt? Unless he was choking the kid with it or maybe had one of those huge buckles we Texans are fond of this is BS. I can see the police investigating this since it was reported,but I see no justification for This charge:2cents:

Man, you people just don't quit do you. Lets examine this case for what it is, a heated divorce settlement where the petty mother is putting the father's misery before the child's happiness. This is NOT about a "spanking" as you would like to profess, but about an evil and vindictive mother plotting revenge against her ex-husband, and putting her child in the middle of the battle.

If you want to look at the case with a close eye, then examint the mother and her motives, she is the evil one, not the state. The state is just doing their job, there are laws and procedures which the police and DSS need to follow in situations of alleged abuse. They ALWAYS err of the side of caution, this case is no different.

Just so you people know, the Boston Herald is a paper which is bought for its sports section. THe rest of the paper is a right wing propaganda rag out of the washington times MO. Bostonians know this and the herald isn't looked at like a "real" paper, kind of likr the NYtimes vs the NYpost. For example, during the schaivo BS, they had her picture posted everywhere in the paper and used propaganda and lies to promote their radical viewpoint.

The whole thing doesn't make sense.

Forgetting the issue of whether it's within the father's right to discipline his child through corporal punishment (which I totally agree with...)

He received a felony assault charge for assaulting his son with a deadly weapon. AND the state put the child back in his care.

Er? What's the deal with that?

Either it's a felony and the kid is not safe with the father, or it's corporal punishment, and the kid is safe with the father.

Wow -- that certainly sounds like some backwards stuff!

Originally posted by jpillian

The whole thing doesn't make sense.

Forgetting the issue of whether it's within the father's right to discipline his child through corporal punishment (which I totally agree with...)

He received a felony assault charge for assaulting his son with a deadly weapon. AND the state put the child back in his care.

Er? What's the deal with that?

Either it's a felony and the kid is not safe with the father, or it's corporal punishment, and the kid is safe with the father.

Wow -- that certainly sounds like some backwards stuff!

JP, it is probably procedure in cases where abuse is alleged. I will ask my buddy who is a cop about this case, he should be able to shed some light on it.

Damn... They better not revoke my right to beat the stuffin outta my kinds for being dumb-- Whatever happened its okay as long as you don't leave a mark?

I'll tell you I remember like it was yesterday everything I did that was stupid and got spanked for it... And frankly, I never repeated those mistakes.

branching off of the story about the vindictive mother, I think it is starting to get rediculous about how limited parents can discipline their kids. I got many butt woopins as a kid with a belt, and you know what? I deserved it. I don't have any "issues" because of it, and when I got the butt woopin it put me in my place and made me think twice before doing something wrong.

I think this is why kids nowadays have gotten out of control. Parents are afraid of physicaaly disciplining their kids, so the kids feel there is no real consequence to what they do. Why should they be afraid of stealing cars (a problem in DC right now - some sort of high school fad) what are the parents going to take TV away for a week or something? I say every parent should have a right to use a belt...

Wow, good thing my kids never turned me in. I spanked each of them a few times as they were growing up. It's call being a parent and teaching your children a little discipline, did I beat the hell out of them everytime they did something wrong? No, but I did have to do it. I can tell you, the things they did to deserve the whippin, they never did again. The problem with our youth today, no respect for others and no discipline.

Remember..........the boy is 12. He would have been interviewed by the police. He would have had to make a statement.

I do not know the specifics of this case, nor will I say....THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED as some are so eager to do. However, I will venture to guess, that since the boy must LIVE with his dad.....(since he was "returned" to his care) I would venture to guess the boy immediately called mom to tell her that dad had "beaten" him (the fabrication of the moment) and the ex told him they would report dad to the police.

For it to be a charge of felony assult, the story must have been a good one.

Blondie

Originally posted by ChocolateCitySkin

I don't know but maybe its required legally even though the judicially the charges will most likely be dropped? Its one of those just to be on the safe side situations... I think most people with a half a brain would scoff at these charges though.

I have never heard of charges required in such cases,investigated of course....Of course I could be wrong,but I doubt it ;)

You only scoff until its you and you see your children slipping away... Then you do whatever your told to keep them..

Then the child realized he is in charge and the phone is his lethal weapon... Later in life he may realize it but at 12 he knows everything...

A case where everyone loses..

Originally posted by twa

How do you get a deadly weapon out of a belt?

This will be the next item you can not bring on an airplane. THis whole article is absurd and some smart poster already mentioned that this about an ugly divorce and using the child to get back at the parent.

Originally posted by chomerics

Man, you people just don't quit do you. Lets examine this case for what it is, a heated divorce settlement where the petty mother is putting the father's misery before the child's happiness. This is NOT about a "spanking" as you would like to profess, but about an evil and vindictive mother plotting revenge against her ex-husband, and putting her child in the middle of the battle.

If you want to look at the case with a close eye, then examint the mother and her motives, she is the evil one, not the state. The state is just doing their job, there are laws and procedures which the police and DSS need to follow in situations of alleged abuse. They ALWAYS err of the side of caution, this case is no different.

Just so you people know, the Boston Herald is a paper which is bought for its sports section. THe rest of the paper is a right wing propaganda rag out of the washington times MO. Bostonians know this and the herald isn't looked at like a "real" paper, kind of likr the NYtimes vs the NYpost. For example, during the schaivo BS, they had her picture posted everywhere in the paper and used propaganda and lies to promote their radical viewpoint.

That's a fairly radical re-interpretation of what the article is actually saying. You obviously must be very close to this case. Gotta love the 'You people' statement...I haven't heard that since I was in Birmingham, Alabama.

Originally posted by Phat Hog

That's a fairly radical re-interpretation of what the article is actually saying. You obviously must be very close to this case. Gotta love the 'You people' statement...I haven't heard that since I was in Birmingham, Alabama.

Well, this is the second thread topic in a day perpetrating my state and local area as being extreme, hence the "you people" comment.

Now, I did talk to my friend who is a seargent in a neighbouring town and asked him about the case. There is an automatic felony assault attached to any type of child abuse, t is the state law and it is meant to protect the child. The child would have to give a statement to the police though, and they would not be permitted to charge him just on the ex's word alone, and without having any physical evidence.

In this case, my friend stated that the child would have had to agree to the mothers story, then the cops have NO option but to arrest him on felony assuly of a minor under 18. It is state procedure to automatically charge the abuser with a felony, get DSS involved and let the courts handle it.

This law is to protect the child and to err on the side of caution. The fact that DSS has already investegated the situation and he is already in the fathers custody leads to the fact that the case was BS. If there was actually any thought of abust, they would not have give custody to the father, because if anything else happens, the courts can be sued. This case will be thrown out of court, and most likely the judge will issue a warning to the mother about wasting the courts time on her petty vindictiveness, and the fact that she brought her child into the matter.

Originally posted by chomerics

Well, this is the second thread topic in a day perpetrating my state and local area as being extreme, hence the "you people" comment.

Now, I did talk to my friend who is a seargent in a neighbouring town and asked him about the case. There is an automatic felony assault attached to any type of child abuse, t is the state law and it is meant to protect the child. The child would have to give a statement to the police though, and they would not be permitted to charge him just on the ex's word alone, and without having any physical evidence.

In this case, my friend stated that the child would have had to agree to the mothers story, then the cops have NO option but to arrest him on felony assuly of a minor under 18. It is state procedure to automatically charge the abuser with a felony, get DSS involved and let the courts handle it.

This law is to protect the child and to err on the side of caution. The fact that DSS has already investegated the situation and he is already in the fathers custody leads to the fact that the case was BS. If there was actually any thought of abust, they would not have give custody to the father, because if anything else happens, the courts can be sued. This case will be thrown out of court, and most likely the judge will issue a warning to the mother about wasting the courts time on her petty vindictiveness, and the fact that she brought her child into the matter.

good to see that there is a rational explanation.

if this case went to court, I think it would be hard to find a jury willing to give this man any jail time. There really would be no point in pressing charges if it's just a simple spanking.

Chom

Look at my BOLDED section. Instead of getting defensive over your state(hey, I live in Washington, you don't see me getting defensive about the lunacy of King County) why not look at all the parts I thought worth noting.

To me, much of this IS about the ex, but that there's even an investigation when the kid doesn't have injuries and there is clearly an element of vindictiveness (and a betraying son mad at punishment)

However, the State does share SOME blame here, as they are the ones charging him with assault WITH A DEADLY WEAPON.

Remember, in Sweden any spanking is now illegal.

Civilizations just don't change overnight, the change(or decline) is incremental.

Archived