Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Depressed City-are you suprised?

Walking Deadman

Is anybody too suprised by the Most Depressed City?

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100103843

Is Your Town Down?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which towns stand in the face of depression

By: Sara Vigneri

More on this in Health & Fitness

Maybe it was all those years of futility for the Phillies. Or the shadows cast by New York City to the north and Washington, D.C., to the south. Whatever the reasons, Philadelphia has earned the melancholy distinction of being America's most depressed city, followed closely by Detroit and St. Petersburg, Florida. Men's Health compiled this list based on antidepressant sales, courtesy of NDC Health; suicide rates, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); and the number of days inhabitants reported being depressed, based on the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, accessed through bestplaces.net.

Where can you find happiness? Texas, that's where. Three of its cities placed in the top four: number one, Laredo; number two, El Paso; and number four, Corpus Christi.

The 20 Happiest Cities

1. Laredo, TX: A+

2. El Paso, TX: A+

3. Jersey City, NJ: A+

4. Corpus Christi, TX: A+

5. Baton Rouge, LA: A

6. Honolulu, HI: A-

7. Fresno, CA: A-

8. San Jose, CA: A-

9. Lincoln, NE: B+

10. Bakersfield, CA: B+

11. Buffalo, NY: B+

12. Anchorage, AK: B+

13. Stockton, CA: B+

14. Shreveport, LA: B+

15. (3-way tie) Madison, WI: B, Montgomery, AL: B, and Des Moines, IA: B

18. Wichita, KS: B

19. (tie) Sacramento, CA: B and Omaha, NE: B

The 20 Most Depressed Cities

1. Philadelphia, PA: F

2. Detroit, MI: F

3. St. Petersburg, FL: F

4. St. Louis, MO: F

5. Tampa, FL: F

6. Indianapolis, IN: F

7. (3-way tie) Mesa, AZ: F, Phoenix, AZ: F, and Scottsdale, AZ: F

10. Cleveland, OH: F

11. New York, NY: D-

12. Salt Lake City, UT: D-

13. Atlanta, GA: D

14. (3-way tie) Yonkers, NY: D, Pittsburgh, PA: D, and Kansas City, MO: D

17. (3-way tie) Long Beach, CA: D, Los Angeles, CA: D, Nashville, TN" D

20. Portland, OR: D

Originally posted by ntotoro

Surprised to see Buffalo almost crack the top-ten on the happy list. It's always "overcast gray," snows a ton, the Bills lost four consecutive Super Bowls and there's no hockey right now... ;)

Nick

My Buffalonian roommate showed me this list a few days ago and said the same thing. He says everyone in Buffalo hates it there and there's no way it's in the top 20 happiest cities.

This is called the "bend over" and pray methodology (a cousin of the pulled it out of my a$$ methodology). . .

In other words, just as predicto said, the methodology is completely off base, or so it seems by that list.

Jersey City is an A and LA is an D :doh:

Went to a Metallica concert at the Vet in Philly.

The concert was great, but:

1. It was depressing there--everything was run down. I must have passed the same area Kevin B. mentions in a previous post...

2. Some @$$--hole left chewed gum on my wife's car.

3. The chants of E-A-G-L-E-S during the intermissions and the threat by about 5 Eagle fans to a Cowboys fan who was stupid enough to admit he was a Cowboys fan. I actually felt sorry for the guy.

Originally posted by ntotoro

Surprised to see Buffalo almost crack the top-ten on the happy list. It's always "overcast gray," snows a ton, the Bills lost four consecutive Super Bowls and there's no hockey right now... ;)

Nick

I work with a lot of people who are from Buffalo/Rochester and they are the proudest out-of-towners I've met. Maybe that plays into it?

that list is just wierd, and I dont like how they conducted the survey. Texas has 3 in the top 5? Thats just weird. Ill concede that Philly is most depressed though, no wonder they like to beat up on other fans' kids.

Archived