Extremeskins

National ID Card

tex

:doh:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=641731

US wants to be able to access Britons' ID cards

By Kim Sengupta

27 May 2005

The United States wants Britain's proposed identity cards to have the same microchip and technology as the ones used on American documents.

The aim of getting the same microchip is to ensure compatability in screening terrorist suspects. But it will also mean that information contained in the British cards can be accessed across the Atlantic.

Michael Chertoff, the newly appointed US Secretary for Homeland Security, has already had talks with the Home Secretary, Charles Clarke, and the Transport Secretary, Alistair Darling, to discuss the matter.

Mr Chertoff said yesterday that it was vital to seek compatibility, holding up the example of the "video war" of 25 years ago, when VHS and Betamax were in fierce competition to win the status of industry standard for video recording systems.

"I certainly hope we have the same chip... It would be very bad if we all invested huge amounts of money in biometric systems and they didn't work with each other.Hopefully, we are not going to do VHS and Betamax with our chips. I was one of the ones who bought Betamax, and that's now in the garbage," he said.

Mr Chertoff also proposed that British citizens wishing to visit the US should consider entering a "Trusted Traveller" scheme. Under this, they would forward their details to the US embassy to be vetted. If successful, they would receive a document allowing "fast- tracking" through the US immigration system.

A pilot scheme will start within a few months between the US and the Netherlands, allowing Dutch visitors to use a Trusted Traveller card to enter the US without being subjected to further questioning or screening.

Britain is one of 27 countries whose citizens do not need visas to enter the US if they intend to stay less than 90 days. The American government has said it wants 27 to issue new passports by 26 October this year containing a computer chip and a digital photograph.

Mr Chertoff said compatability and the checking system was intended purely to track down "terrorists and criminals" and the main aim was to provide a "fair and reasonable system".

US diplomatic sources stated later that Washington did not wish to interfere in the domestic affairs of other countries.

"When we screen based on names, we're screening on the most primitive and least technological basis of identification - it's the most susceptible to misspelling, or people changing their identity, or fraud," he said.

The scheme will also, say diplomats, ease confusion over who exactly constitutes a suspect. The most high-profile case was that of Yusuf Islam, the singer formerly known as Cat Stevens, who was barred from entering the US because his activities "could be potentially linked to terrorism". The British government is insistent that Mr Islam had no such links.

However, this is the latest controversy to surround Britain's proposed combined identity card and passport due to be introduced in three years' time. Rising costs have pushed the cost up to £93 each after the overall estimated 10-year cost of the project grew from £3.1bn to £ 5.8 bn.

There have also been problems over the effectiveness of the biometric technology which is supposed to safeguard the security of the cards. There were also verification problems with 30 per cent of those whose fingerprint was taken during an enrolment trial of 10,000 volunteers.

Originally posted by skin-n-vegas

http://www.voxday.net/

The Devil's own?

May 9, 2005

It is more than a little ironic, I think, that the North Carolina minister forced almost 50 people to leave his church for the newly discovered sin of failing to support George Bush.

As one former member of East Waynesville Baptist Church was reported as saying: "... if we didn't support George Bush, we needed to resign our position and get out, or go to the altar and repent, and support George Bush."

The minister, Chan Chandler, insists that he is acting according to God's Word. However, despite searching the King James, the New International Version and the American Standard Bibles - not to mention running various letter sequences through the Bible Code - I was unable to find the verse that said "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the President George Bush, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

I did, however, run across Jesus Christ's parable of the tree and its fruit in the book of Matthew, warning of false prophets, wolves dressed as sheep. And I wondered: Who might these false prophets be? Who are the false Christs working evil, deceiving even the elect as they bring about the dominion of the last and greatest antichrist?

Then I considered the following description of the RealID plan:

Starting three years from now, if you live or work in the United States, you'll need a federally approved ID card to travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments, or take advantage of nearly any government service.

This sounds more than a little remniscent of words written on the isle of Patmos almost 2,000 years ago: "He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark ..." That's a rather impressive forecast, especially if you consider how far off the best science fiction writers of the Golden Age were from accurately portraying a reality only 50 years after their time. But then, I suppose one could argue that divine inspiration is a form of cheating.

It is true that even in latter-day America, which is already 40 percent government-owned, it will still be theoretically possible to do some buying or selling after our Republican House, Senate and president impose this RealID monstrosity on us. After all, who has a bank account, travels on airplanes or pays income taxes, right? And no doubt some bright Three Monkey Republican will be quick to point out that an ID card containing digital information is not the same thing as a mark on your body.

Not yet, anyway.

Homeland Security is permitted to add additional requirements - such as a fingerprint or retinal scan - on top of those. We won't know for a while what these additional requirements will be.

It will be a delicious surprise to almost everyone except me, I think, when the Department of Vaterland Security informs a surprised American people in a few years that due to the theft of RealID cards by suspected Islamic terrorists, it has determined that the most effective way to ensure security of the RealID system is to implant miniaturized RealIDs into the card-owner's body. This will be mandatory, of course, because otherwise it will be impossible to protect America from the imminent threat of destruction by people paying cash for their Cheerios at the supermarket.

I realize that many Christians believe George Bush is a godly man, that he has been selected by a higher power for a special mission at a critical time in this country's history. Nor do I deny that this may well be so. But the vital question is to discover which god he serves - God, the Father of Jesus Christ, or the god that Jesus Christ described as the prince of this world.

For it is written that many will be deceived, and it is impossible to argue against the fact that this president, like his father before him, is dedicated to expanding the size and scope of government, to sustaining and supporting the legitimacy of the United Nations, and to building a new world order on the ashes of American sovereignty.

No man can judge another man's heart or his soul. That is for God alone. But we can, as Jesus Christ told us, know the tree from its fruit. And while I did not believe the president's qualified claims to being a conservative during his 2000 campaign, I saw no reason to doubt his religious faith.

Now, after five years of a presidency that has conclusively proven George Bush is no conservative, I am beginning to wonder if his claims of sharing a faith with the Christians of America might not be dubious as well.

as most of you know, I normally support Pres. Bush in most things. I am troubled, however, on topics like these. This was a hard piece for me to read overall and I don't concur that Pres. Bush is a devil incarnate at all. It was written harsh in that regard. I do believe that the national ID card is potentially a horrid move toward government control and the parts about retina scan, etc are simply frightening to me. I hope that potential is never realized and sincerely wish that a balance could be achieved between freedom and safety from terrorism. Just not at all sure how that can be done in reality.

Thank you for posting this. I was thinking along the same lines reading this stuff. I know that I don't express my religious faith hardly at all (which has disturbed even me, as of late), but it is rather frightening that we are heading in this direction...and yet, to some extent, you almost have to expect it to go this way.

• 4 months later...

£30 cost for 'stand alone' ID cards

14 October 2005

People without passports will have to pay £30 for the controversial national ID card, Home Secretary Charles Clarke has announced.

The "stand alone" card will be valid for 10 years.

The Home Office's current best guess for the combined passport and ID card remains at £93, but opponents of the scheme have predicted far higher costs.

Proposed cards will carry a microchip bearing "biometric" details of the holder's fingerprints and face.

It will be compulsory to hold a card.

People renewing or applying for passports will have to pay the estimated £93, on top of existing passport prices, from 2008.

The compulsory aspect of the scheme will be phased in later for those who do not hold a passport, possibly from as early as 2010.

Mr Clarke said: "Being able to prove who we are is a fundamental requirement in modern societies, for example when we travel, apply for a job, open a bank account or apply for benefits.

"In future, the recording of biometrics such as fingerprints, iris patterns or facial image means that we will have a much stronger way of linking identity to the person.

"A national ID card will be a robust, secure way to establish that identities are real, not fabricated."

I don't see a problem with this. As long as it itsn't tied to financial records, I've got no problem.

One (of the potentially many) problems with this is that it will be tied to financial records.

To start with every bank or credit account you have is already tied to your SSN, anyway.

And the government wants the information to be machine readable without contact (such as, by radio). (That way, the government can use it to collect information about people without the people actually knowing that it's being collected.)

That means that, for example, if the grocery store makes you show ID when you use a credit card, then they have the legal right to capture your name, address, and any other machine-readable information. (Which they can then add to all of the other information they're collecting about you.)

And if it's machine-readable by radio, then they can get all of that without even asking for premission to see your ID. (And the laws are already in place giving them permission to do so.)

http://www.jpfo.org/alert20050511.htm

Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Inc.

P.O. Box 270143

Hartford, WI 53027

On Tuesday, May 10, 2005, America became a true police state. Your U.S. senators voted -- unanimously, with no discussion, and without even reading the bill -- to create a national ID card.

GUN OWNERS: PREPARE TO RESIST

Here's your future:

You walk into a gun store, fill out your 4473, and show your government ID just as you now do. But instead of looking at your license and taking down some information, the clerk runs the license (which is likely to contain a radio-frequency ID chip) through a scanner. Your purchase is instantly recorded in your state drivers license registry. The federal government isn't currently allowed to keep a gun registry. But no problem; the Real ID act gives them an open door into your state records.

Be forewarned. Be aware.

Tex,

what the hell is "Jews for the prevention of firearms Ownership"

This whole "thier going to take your guns away " crap is rediculous.

I've had a national ID for 30 years, it's called my passport. BFD.

Wait till the Feds want to put IRD chips under you skin before you get all excited.

I do think that Legal aliens, upon entering this country, show have to post a $25,000 bond (for the bounty hunters) that's forfieted if they don't check in peridically or leave the country on time. And that if you are not a US citizen, then you are not intitled to our constitutional rights period.

One (of the potentially many) problems with this is that it will be tied to financial records.

To start with every bank or credit account you have is already tied to your SSN, anyway.

This is true, but you need to give permission to allow people to legally access your credit history. Even law enforcement.

There is a chance it could be tied to your financial records, but there is also a chance they could use it as a means to decide who gets to have children or not.

• 2 months later...

Computer chips get under skin of enthusiasts

By Jamie McGeever

Thu Jan 5, 9:33 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Forgetting computer passwords is an everyday source of frustration, but a solution may literally be at hand -- in the form of computer chip implants.

With a wave of his hand, Amal Graafstra, a 29-year-old entrepreneur based in Vancouver, Canada, opens his front door. With another, he logs onto his computer.

Tiny radio frequency identification (RFID) computer chips inserted into Graafstra's hands make it all possible.

"I just don't want to be without access to the things that I need to get access to. In the worst case scenario, if I'm in the alley naked, I want to still be able to get in (my house)," Graafstra said in an interview in New York, where he is promoting the technology. "RFID is for me."

The computer chips, which cost about $2, interact with a device installed in computers and other electronics. The chips are activated when they come within 3 inches of a so-called reader, which scans the data on the chips. The "reader" devices are available for as little as $50 (29 pounds).

Information about where to buy the chips and readers is available online at the "tagged" forum, (http://tagged.kaos.gen.nz/) where enthusiasts of the technology chat and share information.

Graafstra said at least 20 of his tech-savvy pals have RFID implants.

"I can't feel it at all. It doesn't impede me. It doesn't hurt at all. I almost can't tell it's there," agreed Jennifer Tomblin, a 23-year-old marketing student and Graafstra's girlfriend.

'ABRACADABRA'

Mikey Sklar, a 28-year-old Brooklyn resident, said, "It does give you some sort of power of 'Abracadabra,' of making doors open and passwords enter just by a wave of your hand."

The RFID chip in Sklar's hand, which is smaller than a grain of rice and can last up to 100 years, was injected by a surgeon in Los Angeles.

Tattoo artists and veterinarians also could insert the chips into people, he said. For years, veterinarians have been injecting similar chips into pets so the animals can be returned to their owners if they are lost.

Graafstra was drawn to RFID tagging to make life easier in this technological age, but Sklar said he was more intrigued by the technology's potential in a broader sense.

In the future, technological advances will allow people to store, transmit and access encrypted personal information in an increasing number of wireless ways, Sklar said.

Wary of privacy issues, Sklar said he is developing a fabric "shield" to protect such chips from being read by strangers seeking to steal personal information or identities.

One advantage of the RFID chip, Graafstra said, is that it cannot get lost or stolen. And the chip can always be removed from a person's body.

"It's kind of a gadget thing, and it's not so impressive to have it on your key chain as it is to have it in you," Sklar said. "But it's not for everyone."

Sklar's girlfriend, Wendy Tremayne, has yet to be convinced. She said she probably would not inject the computer chip into her body unless she thought it was a "necessity."

"If it becomes more convenient, I may," said the 38-year-old artist and yoga teacher. "(But) I'd rather have an organic life."

We have entered the age of science fiction reality. Now we find out whether the utopianists or the dystopianists were right. I don't mind the idea of a National ID, though as some have said there is privacy danger. However, if it winds up being basically the same as a Driver's licence it should be fine.

Hey, rember the fuss about micro-wave ovens when they first came out??? Remember the talk of everyone getting cancer from radiation waves and the conspiracy theory that it was a device used by the government to moniter all of its people???:doh:

It is amazing how pathetic some people can be with their jaded views of the government and their lack of knowledge and understanding of the Constitution. In no way does this "Mark the sign of the beast" or "take away Constitutional rights" or "make us a police state."

As a matter of fact, besides just making a connection for every state, and using updated technology, this Nation ID is not a whole lot morethan what most states use now as a state DMV Driver's Liscence. Most DL's now have bar code readers on the back that have your information (SS#, DOB, Address, height, weight, driving and criminal records). This is just taking it to the national level.

In almost every state today, people must show their driver's liscence when using credit cards, paying with checks, to board an airplane, to get insurance and/or see a doctor, to complete an employment contract, etc.

This is not set up so that Uncle Sam can spy on you. It is to help discourage and more easily identify illegal aliens and potential terrorists. Please, stop being so overly dramatic and take off the liberal tainted glasses!!!!

Archived