Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just got out of a speeding ticket...

Spaceman Spiff

I'm driving through Herndon tonight at about 1 am, and i'm in a 25 mph zone, but i'm doing like 40 or so...cause i know i'm in a speed trap zone, but i just don't care.

So of course, I get busted.

And I got out of it! he had me clocked going 48 in a freakin 25!!

He asked me if i knew the speed limit and i was like "well, yeah, residential, 35, right?"

and he goes, "uhh, no, actually 25..do you know how fast you were going?"

"really? 35? well, yeah, i was doing like 40, or a little over..."

"actually, you were doing 48, i need to see your license..." at that point i knew i was off cause he didn't ask for my registration

so he came back from his car and was like "think you can keep it under 35 for this next stretch?"

"Yeah, certainly! i really thought it was 35 here, i never come through this area (that was a lie)"

and he let me off...thats twice that strategy has worked for me...anyone else have any tips for getting out of speeding tickets?

So you think it was your strategy that got you out from under the ticket? I'd say its probably more likely that cop was just exercising some judgement. Rather poor judgement, as it seems, since he let go a serial speeder who thinks it was his own shrewdness that got him free.

At 1AM that cop is probably looking for drunks. Since you were apparently sober he let you go, even though at nearly twice the speed limit you'd have been looking at a pretty hefty fine. Please learn from this to watch your speedometer, not to swap tips on how to bamboozle the town cop (who undoubtedly rolled his eyes at your feigned innocence as he climbed back into the car).

I'm no big fan of those speed traps in Herndon - got caught there once myself. 25 mph on that 4-lane heavily travelled section of Dranesville Road is hard to get used to. But if I get caught there a second time, I'm an idiot.

Originally posted by KevinthePRF

I let people who are polite and honest about what they did wrong go all the time, what you achieved isn't revolutionary.

Exactly what I realized. Be polite, don't try to argue about it, and cooperate and if you were just going a little fast and not being reckless you will probably be issued a warning.

My guess, the officer was probably looking for drunk drivers at that time of night..:2cents:

I beleive from experience getting out of tickets is all about the cop who pulls you over. You can be polite as hell but if he doesnt speak at all your screwed. I go pulled over for going 80 in a 65 and the cop just asked for my lic and reg.. said nothing else.. $285 ticket...

ehh, i may go 10-15 miles over, but no more. Wouldnt go 48 in a 25, would think that would warrant something. As everyone says, the cop prolly didnt care bout you and was looking for other types of drivers.

Originally posted by RyansRangers

I beleive from experience getting out of tickets is all about the cop who pulls you over. You can be polite as hell but if he doesnt speak at all your screwed. I go pulled over for going 80 in a 65 and the cop just asked for my lic and reg.. said nothing else.. $285 ticket...

Probably a hoghway cop, right? Their main job is tickets. They aren't much for warnings. The cops that would pull you over off the highway are more leniant. Most of those don't like giving tickets.

Archived