Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Mitchell's Comments

Griff

Mitchell has been asked what he would do if his astounding career numbers - 20,263 all-purpose yards, NFL records for yards on kickoff returns (11,735) and punt returns (4,278) - earned him a place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Would he go in as a Redskin? The answer, he has said, is no. Unless someone else buys the Redskins before then.

This ain't baseball. You go in as a player with a listing of what teams you played for. Then the team that you played for the longest gets the credit.

example...here is what it says in Sonny's profile

Enshrined in 1983

(Duke)

QUARTERBACK 6-0, 203

1957-1963, Philadelphia Eagles

1964-1974, Washington Redskins

and Riggins

Enshrined in 1992

(Kansas)

RUNNING BACK 6-2, 240

1971-1975 New York Jets

1976-1979, 1981-1985, Washington Redskins

www.profootballhof.com

This is a tough situation, because there was a time when Brian Mitchell was one of my favorite Redskins. I'll never forget his kick return for a touchdown to start the second half of the playoff game against Tampa Bay. But, if he's not willing to put his differences aside long enough to accept such an award, then he is dishonoring this organization as a whole, not just the owner.

His actions should be taken as a low blow to all Redskin's fans, because if he had a relationship with the fans, as he claims he does, then he would have shown that this acknowledgement means a lot to him. This is a slap in the face, and I wish he hadn't even made the list.

If it was not for the Skins this big mouthed A$$HOLE would not have gotten a snif at the super bowl. UNGRATEFUL PIECE a $HIT

and if he thinks the eagles are going to the show then he is even dumber then I think he is. Lurie is such a better owner then Snyder HAHAHAHAHA ask Trotter he will tell you

Does he really think he's going to ruin my morning by announcing that he'd rather go in the HOF as an Eagle then a Redskin? Who cares???

Fu*k him!!! Who gives a sh*t!!!

I'll tell you what though, if he ends up in the HOF before Art Monk then it's the biggest crock of sh*t I've ever seen. :cuss:

Brian Mitchell has every right to be pissed off at Dan Snyder. I still think Snyder made the wrong decision in letting Mitchell go for Neon Peon Sanders. Mitchell is still playing in the NFL while Peon's out of football.

I am very happy to see that Mitchell made the list of 70 best Redskins. He deserves to be included. In my mind Brian Mitchell has done a heluva lot more than Dan Snyder has to bring the Redskins success.

Dan Snyder has yet to gain one yard or score one TD on the field. I don't begrudge Brian Mitchell one bit.

A player goes into the hall as amember of the team he played for last. That is why alot of guys sign 1 day deals at the end of their career.

As for little ****ell. I hope he chokes on his arrogance. I hate him with the fire hot intensity of a billion suns. He was a mediocre return man. He had 2 things in his favor.

1- He was durable.

2- He played on Redskin teams that gave up so many scores, he had lots of chances to run 18yds up the middle and fall over his own teammate.

F@#K him.

Mitchell is talking out of both sides of his mouth. The Eagles haven't shown him any great loyalty. To come back this season they offered him a one year deal for a modest salary. And if I know Andy Reid at all, he will be bringing in several rookies and younger players to challenge Mitchell nonetheless.

Actually, I don't believe that Brian Mitchell was released purely to make room for Deion Sanders. B.Mitchell got replaced at his core positions: 3rd down back (L.Centers) & Kickoff Return (Thrash).

IN short, when Mitchell was replaced in the line-up by Larry Centers ... and given that they played a similar roles ... Mitchell was the Million dollar surplus player, and go dismissed. And everyone knew he'd whine like a baby if he had to play second fiddle to Centers and Thrash.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to hand the 3rd down back duties to L.Centers. I'm sure this decision was partially motivated by the fact that Centers could stay on the field on running downs as a FB. But in my mind, the best line-up was Sellars as the hammer-head for S.Davis, and mitchell as the 3rd down back and back-up Tailback (instead of Skip),

Both Centers and Mitchell were good, move-the-chains, type of recievers out of the back-field. But mitchell was faster, and much better at running the draws.

Originally posted by KMP

Brian Mitchell has every right to be pissed off at Dan Snyder. I still think Snyder made the wrong decision in letting Mitchell go for Neon Peon Sanders. Mitchell is still playing in the NFL while Peon's out of football.

I am very happy to see that Mitchell made the list of 70 best Redskins. He deserves to be included. In my mind Brian Mitchell has done a heluva lot more than Dan Snyder has to bring the Redskins success.

Dan Snyder has yet to gain one yard or score one TD on the field. I don't begrudge Brian Mitchell one bit.

This might be one of the more ignorant statements I've ever heard. I'm not evening going to waste my time explaining why, it's quite obvious. KMP, if you truly believe this, you are an idiot. Remind me what Brian Mitchell brought to the Redskins?

It's a moot question as to what team is associated with him in the HOF. Brian Mitchell is not going into the HOF. Return men who play most of their careers with mediocre teams do not walk with the giants of the game.

But it is absolutely sour grapes by him. The fans and an independent panel of "celebrity" fans voted him on the list. A stand-up guy would have put aside his differences with the owner and shown his loyalty to the people who put him on the list in the first place - the fans.

However, Mitchell showed his true colors - he'd rather let a personal feud get in the way of many good years with the organization and its fans. Which is to be expected. As tough and as good a teammate as Mitchell was/is, I thought he was a little too wrapped up in his own self-worth.

As far as him wanting to get back at the team through his play, well, I'm still waiting for him to do something. And Bulldog makes a great point - if he thinks the Redskins treated him poorly, wait till he sees how fast he's gone once the Eagles decide his services are no longer necessary. Don't be surprised if it happens during training camp.

Durability is a major reason many good players are considered great.

His big returns per attempt is among the tops. As a punt return guy, I'd take him over anybody I ever saw in that role (and I'm talking the whole NFL for the last 30 years.)

Also, don't forget, he was an excellent allround special-teamer. Did a good job as the FB in the punt defense (made a few conversions, also) and was a sure tackler on kick-offs.

I've seen return men make key returns but I can think of several games where Mitchell took over the game (and not always because he scored). Against the Eagles (in 93 or 94), he was the only reason we were not shut out.

He was a good third-down back, too and supplied some verstility (remember when he played qb agianst the Eagles).

I was just thinking about something, he had a lot of good games against the Eagles. Could he be letting his mouth run so the Igss accept him? :laugh:

there are a number of true statements here:

1. Brian Mitchell has been a fine return man for the past 10 seasons in the NFL.

2. the Redskins wanted to replace Mitchell in '00 because he was 32 years old and because he had made some enemies in the organization by airing some dirty laundry on his radio show.

3. the Redskins have so far failed to find a return man that fills Mitchell's shoes. Deion was an abject failure and Bates was merely adequate last season.

4. Mitchell was NOT a cornerstone of the 1991 Super Bowl team. As a 23 year old second year player, Mitchell DID contribute but this team was lead by its veteran talent and would have been a 14-2 team with or without Mitchell. So, his value to the team as a guy touching the ball 6-8 times a game max is sometimes overstated in looking back 10 or 11 years. It is definitely overstated by Mitchell himself :)

5. Mitchell for his efforts does deserve to be on the Redskins list of best all-time returners.

6. Mitchell could show a little more class after having been named to the 70 year team. Certainly he won't be accorded that honor in Philly once his term in '02 is over there. He will be released and forgotten about just as Eric Metcalf was here in DC last season.

OS,

I keep saying: he had so many big games against the Eagles, he's got to do something so they'll accept him.

bulldog,

What's B-Mitch's salary situation? That may be the only reason he'd be replaced. Of course, some young gun may look like he has future potential (say at db), so Reid decides he needs the slot but I think their light at rb too.

Mitchell was re-signed to a one year deal by the Eagles. I don't think he necessarily will be replaced in 2002 but the fact the team won't tack on a second season to the deal says to me that at 34 Andy Reid already has his spot in the lineup circled for an upgrade in 2003.

bulldog,

After I posted that, I went and looked up Philidelphia. Mitch could very well be replaced this year. They did draft a running back who returned punts and kicks in college (although the guy is pretty small).

Thanks for the info on the salary. Went to the NFLPA site but Mitch was not listed.

I think 34 is football-old for all positions but qb but especially for a running back whose main contribution is via special teams.

By the way, Nelms was considered a top punt return man because he almost never FC, how did B Mitch do in that catagory?

As to Brian's place among the great: (Yeah, I know, 47% of statistics. . . )

Brian led the NFL in yardage gained (total return, recieving, and rushing) for three years in a row. (Barry Sanders beat him in the fourth year by 19 yards). Only two other players have ever done that (three in a row): Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers. Redskins.com used to have a place where you could e-mail coach Norv, and he might answer your question on his TV show. I only sent in two questions to that link. One was "You've got a guy on your team who's gained more yardage than Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, or Barry Sanders, for three years in a row. How come he's only playing third downs?" (The other was "How can you be leading at halftime, average 5.5 yds/carry, and lose the game, to a team that didn't score a single TD?")

If we can't keep KiJanna, I'd like to have him back, now.

I'll agree, I don't understand the anger. I don't think he was run out of town. It's just that Philly was offering starting pay, and here he was a specialty player. (I'll feel the same way when somebody wises up, and offers Ray Lewis a head coaching job).

Ya know, no matter how hard he tries, BMitch just won't be able to upset me that much. His 10 years in Redskins land were alot of fun. It has already been mentioned that BMitch always did have a mouth on him, so this doesn't really suprise me. A little disappointed? Sure. Hopefully sometime down the road it'll work itself out. Until then, I've got the S.S. era to look forward to.

Now, the career stats on BMitch on F.C.'s and other special teams stats for the man.

http://www.nfl.com/randf/indiv_puntreturns.html

Scroll down just a little.

His contract this year. $750,000.00 with only $450,000.00 counting against the cap.

Larry, I'm pretty sure he was cut from the Skins and not asked to return. I'm also pretty sure he offered to play for less here than anywhere else, and his requests were pretty much ignored.

Mitchell is what he is, a fiery guy who plays with a lot of passion. Sometimes thats a good thing. Sometimes it isn't.

Right now it isn't.

Too bad he's acting like such a baby now. But I choose to ignore the trash he throws around about the Redskins and remember him during his heyday here in DC. I think he belongs on the list.. Too bad he doesn't care.

the truth is better players than Mitchell left the Redskins over the years because of injury, salary, differences with a new coaching staff or front office, etc.............

Mitchell always said when other great players for the team such as Charles Mann and Art Monk left that everyone had to understand it was a business.

Well, perhaps Mitchell should take some of his own advice. :)

personally, I think Mitchell's anger is somewhat forced, he is really trying to pump himself up to meet the challenges he faces as an older player to keep his job in a very competitive business.

If you really want to see an example of a player that was treated unfairly by his organization, you can look at Marcus Allen with the Raiders, where the team held him hostage and won't play or trade him for a couple of his prime years.

Mitchell suffered none of that kind of fate. In fact he was released early enough to catch on with another team that ended up making the playoffs.

So, what is there to really complain about?

Certainly, if he was in such awe and respect of JKC and Joe Gibbs as he says he is, he should separate out his anger for Snyder and for the fans and others who would vote him on the 70 year team as a tribute to him.

there's an old axiom about not biting the hand that feeds you.

heck, even Tom Landry ended up going back to Texas Stadium to be enshrined on their Ring with Jerry Jones in attendance after years had softened the feelings somewhat. :)

I agree with bulldog about his feelings about B-Mitch's anger. Its about keeping himself pumped as he gets older (remember, his first season with Philly was one of his best).

And yes, great players have been treated badly by their former teams but usually in the twilight of their careers. The separation has always been filled with acrimony. Most of the time, these former players don't have the mouth that B-Mitch has or realize that they were ready to quit anyway. As to Allen, he also said he would never go into the HOF as a Raider. His actions when he left them were every bit as vile as Mitchell's.

I also believe that his anger is for the Philly team and fans to get him accepted as one of their own. B-Mitch said of people like Mann that his release was business, why then do people not see that his anger as a business move. Tell me, what other endevor could he pusue where he can earn what he earns in Football?

Thing about 'forced' anger, it can readilly become hot.

Mitch says he won't retire as a Redskin. Don't be suprised when he does.

Archived