Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pick 154 - Robert McCune ILB Louisville

jbooma

A LB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for info

(6'0", 245, 4.5)

Overall: McCune redshirted in 2000 and saw action only as a backup from 2001-'02 before taking over as Louisville's fulltime starting middle linebacker as a junior in 2003, when he finished with 143 total tackles, five TFL and four sacks. He started all 12 games (ILB and OLB) as a senior in 2004 and led the team with 115 total tackles, including four for loss, two sacks and one interception. A member of the National Guard; spent six months in Kuwait and a full year in Korea. He will be a 26-year old rookie in the NFL. McCune was much improved as a senior and his upside is extremely intriguing because of his rare combination of size (6-0, 245), strength (33 reps of 225-pound bench press) and speed (4.50). However, McCune is a much more attractive prospect when watching him work out in shorts than he is when studying him ... For complete overview, strengths and weaknesses, login above or become an Insider.

I really like this pick, excellent size/speed combo. Only knock on him is he served in the military and he will be 26 by the begining of the season. I have a feeling he will give Marshall a run for the starting MLB position come pre-season.

if the guy has 4.5 speed at 250 he can perhaps be a candidate to back up at strongside as well as in the middle.

at age 26 and with breaks in his career for the service I see him being a depth player for the Skins for a considerable period.

the guy's bio shows him to be raw.

Fantastic pick. The guy is mature -- he's 26, I believe -- and he has played at a high level. Concerns about instincts and arm-tackling may be solveable by an excellent coaching staff.

Which we have.

This is a great pick that fits a position of potential need if one of Barrow or Marshall can't be effective at MLB next year. Plus, it gives us much needed LB depth.

I like the fact that he's said to be a good blitzer. We'll see if he can beat out Khary Campbell or Devin Lemons for a roster spot.

Also... Marshall may be given a chance to win the LB spot.... but I wouldn't be suprised if someone else (Barrow) mans that spot and Marshall is shifted back to the weakside.

I think you're not seeing DEs drafted by the Redskins is because of Evans, Boschetti, C. Clemons, N. Clemons, and the possibility of Arrington spending alot of his time with a hand in the dirt.

A DT could be a possiblity in the 6th.

No OL for Buges because he got them last year. We're only keeping 10 offensive lineman.... and I think we've got them in position.

Samuels-->Molinaro

Dockery--->Ray Brown

Rabach--->Raymer/Freidman/Nowland

Thomas--->Ray Brown

Jansen--->Wilson

Also... I think Molinaro can also play guard. So... no real need for OL and a concentration can be focused on other needs this 2nd day of the draft.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Anyone else wondering what the point of having a 2nd day NFL Draft show is if you AREN'T GOING TO TELL US WHO THE PICKS ARE!!!!!!!

Its nothing but a 1st day highlight show.

No kidding. Nothing on McCune, and way too much on Clarett.

Jason

ROBERT MCCUNE (6'1" 245) ILB LOUISVILLE – After not getting a single offer from a D-1 school coming out of high school, Robert McCune enlisted into the National Guard, but never gave up his dream of playing college football – lugging around a 50-pound rock on a daily basis while serving tours of duty in South Korea and Kuwait. McCune’s plan was to walk on to a D-1 program after his military service was over, but after posting an impressive 4.5 40-time and lifting the 225-lb bar 34 times, it looks like the ‘Hammer’ won’t have to worry about walking on at the next level. Grades well on instincts as well as getting to the ballcarrier, but tends to struggle when engaged with an opponent. Some also feel that McCune is raw and needs further development, which is an issue since he will already be one of the oldest players (26 before draft day) ever drafted. McCune has also been listed a inch or two shorter than previous listed – at 5’11 or 6’ even that becomes a question. It goes without saying that McCune grades high in the character department, while still in the reserves he was on alert for a possible Iraq deployment, but his military commitment is now over. At the very worst, McCune will find a spot on special teams where he excelled during his first two years at UofL. Some have McCune going as high as the second round – I don’t look for him going that high, but his character plus workout numbers definitely enhances his chances of being selected on Day 1.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Anyone else wondering what the point of having a 2nd day NFL Draft show is if you AREN'T GOING TO TELL US WHO THE PICKS ARE!!!!!!!

Its nothing but a 1st day highlight show.

Tell me about it. We saw the 1st day stuff yesterday. Today guys are getting drafted that are less well known, so they should focus on telling us about them, not yesterday's news.

Archived