Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: No Alarms and No Surprises

mhd24

Originally posted by Hauss

I can't believe that Desmond Howard is still an issue. He went at the point in that draft where he was targeted to go. He was a pick that people loved at the time as did the media.

Desmond Howard isn't still an issue. Very stupid people simply like saying his name in spewing idiocy. But, Desmond Howard isn't still an issue. The individual saying his name as if it is, though, is an issue.

Originally posted by Art

Desmond Howard isn't still an issue. Very stupid people simply like saying his name in spewing idiocy. But, Desmond Howard isn't still an issue. The individual saying his name as if it is, though, is an issue.

Thank you for crystallizing my thoughts so eloquently.

I was definitely suprised with no Mike Williams, but i'm happy with the picks...i like the feeling of our D not dropping off from last year...and the thought of our Oline getting much better....time for our guys to find some diamonds in the rough tomorrow to help the offense....any big blocking te's with soft hand available? maybe a LG prospect or a wideout worth a damn? i'd even love a bruiser at RB for goaline....go get'em Joe!

p.s.

I liked Jansen talking about how the offense should be much improved this year...saying how they coaching staff started with a 1992 offense and have been working to catchup, so to speak ever since....

and I sill got faith in Ram, but it sure is nice to have a backup plan, and as I see it, brunell just got booted to 3rd string......so i'm very content at this point...Hail Skins!

also, this may have been discussed in the other draft thread, but did you guys notice when they showed mike williams around the time of, i dunno...pick 5 or so...and he looked a little volotile...or upset about something...i never thought he'd make it to 9, but that moment did put a frown on my face and made me think character issues....i also didn't like seeing all these guys with earings and the bling...i know the michigan wr was someone the skins were reportedly looking to trade up for, but when i saw him and he looked, oh so pretty...i thought, man, i hope we don't get this guy.....admittedly. i didn't see pics of carlos or jason, but i'm thinking they got their heads on straight. Good Job Skins...now JUST WIN!

Originally posted by Tarhog

The proof of the power of the Redskins' feelings for Rogers was that they picked him over Williams, USC's spectacular wide receiver, whose talents would have matched the team's obvious weaknesses. And, no doubt, have pleased more fans. Williams, in fact, would have been the quintessential Dan Snyder-style pick. After all, almost every major Deion Sanders signing or Steve Spurrier courtship of the Snyder era has been cheered by fans -- in the offseason. Then, as soon as the next season rolled around, the evidence proved once again that fans -- including owner-fans -- make the worst decisions.

That says it all right there.

The popular decision is not always right. Imagine that? Maybe an offseason of discontent will bring a season of success...

:fingersx:

If Rogers starts next season our defense will be tough toward the end of the season with Lavar, Griffin, Washington, Taylor, Bowen and Springs. If the defense can go the year without any major injuries it could be a top 3 defense for real next year.

Coach Gibbs did say of Desmond Howard "he has no weaknesses", so if you want to continue to hold that over him, be my guest.

But Desmond Howard was a legit top 5/10 pick in 1992. I believe the Packers were going to take him at #6 and that's why we leap-frogged them to take him.

Besides, if you're going to hold it against him regarding Desmond, you have to give him major credit for taking Sean Taylor over Winslow.

I said before the draft in another thread, "If we pass on Mike Williams, Coach Gibbs will have some 'slaining to do". But after my inital disappointment (like many others), I've been pacified and am excited about what Rogers and Springs can do for this D.

Campbell is very intriguing as a pick. He seems to have everything you want skillwise and he has demonstrated a "knack" that Ramsey still hasn't. Campbell also is, to quote Coach Gibbs, "super smart" evidenced by his ability to learn 4 new offenses in 4 years. I hope Ramsey can blossom into a type flight QB this year and lead the team, but at least now, if he doesn't we have a legit Plan B and won't have to overpay for a veteran or draft a rookie in a year or 2 and go through his growing pains while the team is in it's prime.

I was praying way before the draft that we didnt draft M Williams heck we have D Mac who is faster.

M Williams is a number 2 WR (he'll be numer 3 in detroit) we have plenty of number twos

Name the last great USC WR......... and no keychain johnson is not and has not been great.

If only the team's front office, which continues to alienate players -- the latest being LaVar Arrington -- would follow some similar mode of operation. But then the gap between Gibbs's standards and some around him is still stark.

A peek behind the curtain?

By the way, Vinny looked and sounded like a giggling schoolboy on his NFL Network interview a few nights ago. What does Dan Snyder see in that guy?

To reinforce that message, the Redskins used their other first-round pick, the 25th overall, to pick a quarterback for the future in Jason Campbell, also of Auburn. Most assume that Campbell's future includes two years with a clipboard under his arm. Again, Gibbs might have made a splashier pick with faster impact potential. But the coach has claimed, ever since he returned, that he was rebuilding a whole franchise. In Campbell, who didn't blossom until his senior year, the Redskins made a pick that, while not undermining quarterback Patrick Ramsey, opened other options for the team someday.

"Too much value in the pick" to do anything else, Gibbs said several times as his reason for why anyone with the Redskins' long-term interests at heart would jump at Campbell, even if it meant passing up a promising wide receiver.

This is such BS!

"Too much value in the pick"? That comment makes it sound like Jason Campbell fell to us and hey, ain't we lucky?!?! That's not what happened at all. We traded specifically to get him, were livid when that leaked out, and we got him anyway. So don't make it sound like this was all happenstance! :doh:

Archived