Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honestly how far are we from the Superbowl?

boobiemiles

The thing about this team that makes me really mad is we are not that far from being a dominate team. Defense wins championships and I think we still have a great D. If and when Lavar comes back we'll have two stellar LB's. Shawn Springs, Taylor, and Bowen make up a very good secondary. I feel even with Harris we still have a top 10 secondary if not higher. Our d-line is full of grunt working over achievers that take up the blockers like Greg Williams wants them too. On offense our O line has just one whole in my opinion, Dockery, and if he plays up to his potential, then we have the best o line in the league. I like Clinton but I think we need a little thunder to help grind out the clock. I hope Betts stop playing smaller than e is. Our WR's are servicable at this point, but they give Joe what he wants. I see your work Joe, speed will stop the zone blitz. At QB I want this team to stand behing Ramseys for one year and see what we got. Now that we have a coach that knows blocking DE with a trung canidate wont work. (MY GOD SPURRIER WAS AN A$$) Gibbs knows football, and he should be able to think of way to beat the cover 2, and the zone blitz. We're even strong on special teams. I think with a productive draft we're a lock for 10-6, and maybe a trip to the big dance. We have a strong coaching staff I just wish Joe would concentrate on coaching and not travel too and fro trying to play Monty Hall. What do you think?

We are not far. But, as always, it must be proven on the field.

Vermeil went 5-11 his first year back if I'm not mistaken. He was building something special there with the Rams and knew it would take time. But in year 2 he went 4-12!!! The next year they won the SuperBowl. Go Figure.

Originally posted by wvufootball1976

Gibbs got his 1st season back outta the way. Greg Williams is a defensive mastermind. We will get Lavar playing again, Jansen is back, and Brunell isn't starting. We're already in the playoffs. Super bowl? We can all hope, but ya never know!

already in the playoffs ???

Originally posted by TerpsEagles

already in the playoffs ???

Well it better to dream than be the nightmarish Buffalo Bills of the NFC East. The question I have for Eagles fans is how many chances do you need to get a ring. Maybe you guys should draft that Doctor who made Gatorade so McNabb doesn't get tired in the biggest game of his life. I mean don't you guys have your own problems.

Didn't New England basically come out of nowhere to win their first Super Bowl?

We have a start since we got Gibbs back. I'm telling you, it's going to take a big week 2 win against Dallas to get this team on its way. Until we beat them, we're spinning our wheels.

We're 529.42 miles away from the Super Bowl....8 hours and 20 minutes if driving from Landover to Detroit according to Mapquest :)

I'm guessing the NFC will be weak again this year. I didn't really see anything this offseason that makes anyone in the NFC a run away favorite. Even though we only won 6 games last year and had a piss poor offense....we never really were blown out of games. And, we were close to making the playoffs...as sad as that sounds.

So...I think we'll make the playoffs this year...I don't think we'll get to the Big Show (but hey, stranger things have happened in recent history...see Rams, Ravens, Patriots worst-to-first turnarounds). But the 2006 season is a possibility...

The defense is there...even if there is a dropoff they will still be very good. I imagine with a full off-season in Gibbs' pocket (and the intimate knowledge of his players that he didn't have last year) the offense will be tweaked just a bit...and perform much better than last year.

Originally posted by boobiemiles

Well it better to dream than be the nightmarish Buffalo Bills of the NFC East. The question I have for Eagles fans is how many chances do you need to get a ring. Maybe you guys should draft that Doctor who made Gatorade so McNabb doesn't get tired in the biggest game of his life. I mean don't you guys have your own problems.

well thought out reply...... so much better than actually explaining what you meant when you said the Skins were "already in the playoffs"....

in today's NFL, there are about 20 teams that aren't really that far from a superbowl.

if gibbs keeps getting rid of the tumors and bringing in guys that buy into his system 100% (off season included), we will have just us much a chance as most teams.

right now, we need a possession WR (unless mccants can fill that role), a pass rushing DE, and a corner. we need ramsey and one of the WR's to step up, and we need a repeat performance from the d.

if that happens, well, who knows?

Originally posted by techiecool

the superbowl isn't even in the cards for at least 2 years. they won't be able to beat philly or atlanta, or heck minnesota now.

You may be right about beating Philly consistently, or beating them in the playoffs. But we demonstrated last year, quite clearly in my eyes, that we can beat that team. And if you ask me, they havent gotten any better.

Atlanta? Please. They arent that good. They benefited from a weak NFC. They showed their true colors against Philly. They do have an intriguing young defense, but they do not scare me at all. We can beat ATL.

Minnesota? Once again, wrong. Yes they added some firepower on defense, but as all of us around here know, adding a bunch of big time free agents one year doesnt necesarilly translate into success. Even if their D is vastly improved, I think they are quite beatable.

To say we cant beat these teams is proposterous. Our team proved last year that we can compete with any team in this league and I expect this year's team to be better (if not only on account of their second year in this system).

Originally posted by jpark

To say we cant beat these teams is proposterous. Our team proved last year that we can compete with any team in this league and I expect this year's team to be better (if not only on account of their second year in this system).

The eagles proved last year they could compete with the Patriots. A lot of good that did.

We aren't that far. I thought if we could sneak into the playoffs we could have beaten anyone with maybe the exception of the Eagles, and even then we match up well with them.

You can list the teams you're sure will be in the playoffs next year on two fingers.

Eagles and Falcons. the NFC North, NFC West are wide open and have no perennial favorites.

Three to four years.

I'd love to see it, but I don't think Gibbs is going to get us back there...I think we'll see another NFC Championship game with him at the helm before handing it over to Williams (assuming he's still a coach on the team).

Gibbs seems a little overwhelmed in his hyphenated position and the snafu earlier in the week with ESPN I think highlights Gibbs being stretched a little too thin. The ship doesn't seem to be as tight as it could be and I'd rather Gibbs focus on football and not running (or co-running) the organization.

That said, if the Eagles start to implode, the Redskins are the only team primed to step in and keep the NFC East mantle for an extended period of time.

Very, very far. It takes more than talent to make it to the Superbowl -- it takes some breaks along the way. This year's schedule looks rocky, especially with the bye way too early. The NFC East got better, not worse, this offseason. It also takes teamwork, commitment, desire... heart. The Skins haven't had heart since Joe left the first time. Sure, they've shown flashes, but then they fall apart.

Right now, the Skins lack dominance on either side of the ball. This sounds strange, given the statistical ranking of the defense, but the Skins defense doesn't generate turnovers or score points, so they can't win game for the Skins. They can pitch shutouts, or come close, but they need the offense to score to win.

The offense is woeful. It starts with playcalling, which is too conservative and unimaginative. The QB play is also a weakness. The WRs don't stretch the field. This makes it very easy to beat the Skins: stack the line to contain Portis, jam the receivers, and wait for Ramsey to make mistakes. Not hard.

They really aren't a player or two from the Superbowl. They need a heart transplant -- which we all thought Joe would have performed by now. But with Coles begging to leave town, Taylor and Moss skipping workouts, Pierce and Smoot leaving, and Arrington griping, it obviously hasn't happened yet. It's gonna take longer.

At this point they've got an outside chance at making the playoffs this year, given some major breaks going their way. The Superbowl? Not a chance.

Archived