Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Clayton vs Matt Jones

Awesome

To my mind Clayton is the better pick simply due to his professionalism. He is the most complete of all the receivers right now...just doesn't have some of the hot attributes that the top WR's have.

Jones is a project pure and simple. A very rich minefield which may contain gold and Silver or shrapnel. Too hard to tell.

Originally posted by TheDane

Mark Clayton is a Cowboys fan... so... Jones.

Can I vote neither?

Our man Shawn Springs also grew up a Cowboys fan. Whats even worse is that he is a local boy! But hey, nobody is perfect. He may have been a Cowboys fan before, but he is a Redskin now.

Our ex-man Fred Smoot had this to say when he learned that Springs grew up a Cowboys fan and once owned a pair of Cowboys underwear:

"He's got Cowboys underwear? I should have slipped him some Ex-Lax."

matt Jones. He fits this offense much better than Clayton. I mean we already have Moss and Patten and Jacobs. How many little speedy guys do you want us to have? Oh btw Matt Jones is probably faster then anyone of them and if not he is just as fast. Plus he can lineup to be a slot receiver. Clayton is always willing also but with his size I see problems getting his ass kicked. Also the ability to have Matt Jones on an end-around where he could pass or run, his ability to play TE down at the red zone (I know he has never played the position but come on guys he has the abilty and the size to do so) his ability to go over the middle where very few safeties can match up with his speed and size it just gives us a world of plays. He may not be as ready as Clayton is right now but his upside could be huge. Also let me remind you guys a couple of years back when we didn't know who to take with our 15th pick. Moss or Gardner. Well neither really has contributed to the potential what we thought right? Matt Jones all the way.

Mark Clayton. My ideal situation right now would be to trade down with the 9th and grab Clayton, and then trade the 25th for Clements, or draft Fabian Washington, Marlin Jackson, or Justin Miller. As many have said, I think Clayton is the most polished reciever at this point. He's tough as nails and is in the mold of a Marvin Harrison. I dont care if hes small like the rest of our recievers. He can play. We have Mccants (hopefully) and Cooley as our two big threats. Clayton will be a star in this league and right now Matt Jones cant be seen as anything more than amazing raw talent. Key word: Raw.

Matt Jones has size and athleticism...thats not gonna cut it. He gets downgraded IMO because hes moving from QB to WR or TE. Its a whole different ballgame in the NFL, nevermind at a completely different position.

I seriously think Clayton might be the best WR drafted this year, and hes a perfect fit for our offense and our locker room.

Vincent Jackson has the same size as Matt with only a 0.9 difference in 40 time (VJ - 4.46 ; MJ - 4.37).

The other difference is that Vincent has been a dominating WR, while Matt has never even played WR.

The only reason you go with Matt over Vincent is if you think the slight speed advantage is very important.

Originally posted by Mister Happy

Vincent Jackson has the same size as Matt with only a 0.9 difference in 40 time (VJ - 4.46 ; MJ - 4.37).

The other difference is that Vincent has been a dominating WR, while Matt has never even played WR.

The only reason you go with Matt over Vincent is if you think the slight speed advantage is very important.

I would still go Jackson over Jones as well...I think you guys are really missing the fact that - MATT JONES HAS NO POSITION. And you are enamored by his measurables and what he could bring to the team.

Originally posted by jpark

Our man Shawn Springs also grew up a Cowboys fan. Whats even worse is that he is a local boy! But hey, nobody is perfect. He may have been a Cowboys fan before, but he is a Redskin now.

Our ex-man Fred Smoot had this to say when he learned that Springs grew up a Cowboys fan and once owned a pair of Cowboys underwear:

"He's got Cowboys underwear? I should have slipped him some Ex-Lax."

:laugh: Man, I'm gonna miss Smooty's 1-man media circus.

As to Springs, one little reason he was a Cowboys fan was because his dad, Ron Springs, drew a paycheck from them.

We already have 3 wr's exactly like Clayton, except they have ACTUAL nfl experience. We do not have a guy like Matt Jones, in fact no one in the nfl does. MY pick would easily go for Matt Jones.

Originally posted by Mister Happy

Agreed.

I say take Jackson later and move him to TE.

Originally posted by Dan T.

:laugh: Man, I'm gonna miss Smooty's 1-man media circus.

As to Springs, one little reason he was a Cowboys fan was because his dad, Ron Springs, drew a paycheck from them.

and he grew up in Silver Spring and went to Springbrook High School.

Jones is a better relative value for us (we need a big, fast guy much more than we need a small, fast guy) -- but Clayton's likely value is enough higher than Jones's likely value (over the course of the initial contract) that I'd go with Clayton (or, really, Carlos Rogers or Fabian Washington or Erasmus James or Pollack or Campbell).

Clayton probably won't last past the ravens but if he's there I guess he'd be more beneficial to our team in our current state of affairs... Matt Jones has much more potential but for our team potential is what we don't need... Mark Clayton will be like a Marvin Harrison so I'd take that in a heartbeat, but Jones could become a Terrell Owens, and if we had a more complete team, I'd ideally rather have a Terrell Owens.

Matt jones any day. Everyone is always over analyzing about the transition to playing receiver. Its not rocket science, look at antonio gates he didnt even play college football and he's turned into a pretty damn good TE. Mark clayton on the otherhand never showed up in the big games against legit defenses

Archived