Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pleasure doing business...

Taco John

I hope you guys get what you need out of this trade... Because from where I'm standing, it looks like we just stole candy from a baby... And before you get angry at my reaction, I'm not talking smack here... This is my honest reaction to this. From our perspective, this is an amazing trade that is elevating our GM to the status of genius.

I have read a wild rumor that you guys are getting ready to trade this first now for something else, possibly with the Raiders, but I wouldn't get carried away with that rumor...

Anyway, good luck this season, even though as a Broncos fan I'm now required to root for your team to come in DEAD last.

*scratching me head at the Redskins move here*

Originally posted by Taco John

I hope you guys get what you need out of this trade... Because from where I'm standing, it looks like we just stole candy from a baby... And before you get angry at my reaction, I'm not talking smack here... This is my honest reaction to this. From our perspective, this is an amazing trade that is elevating our GM to the status of genius.

I have read a wild rumor that you guys are getting ready to trade this first now for something else, possibly with the Raiders, but I wouldn't get carried away with that rumor...

Anyway, good luck this season, even though as a Broncos fan I'm now required to root for your team to come in DEAD last.

*scratching me head at the Redskins move here*

Look at it this way.

We pretty much traded mid 20's picks (yours this year and ours next year), add in a 3rd/4th that we are going to get from Gardner this year and its pretty much a wash.

We get 2 first round picks this year and now have the flexability to either plug up multiple holes this year or take a blue chip player.

Win/win taco.

BTW say hi to Falco for me :)

I don't like the trade as it stands up now. What the Redskins do with the #25 pick, either trading it to move up or to package it for a player, etc..............or keeping it..............

I still feel that a team makes its bones with those picks in rounds 2-5 where you can find quality talent at what turns out to be bargain prices.

I especially feel that way about players in round 2.

Look at the value we got in Jon Jansen and Fred Smoot over time.

First round talents that we got in the second round.

We can't keep stocking a roster of only high round picks.

These guys want big dollars when their rookie contracts are over.

Originally posted by mookie0720

This is a HUGE assumption.

Ill put it for you simply.

Our defense is going to be only a bit behind or even with the defense last year and if that holds true we should be ok. Also remember that if we scored 21 points per game last year we would have been 13-2-1.

Originally posted by mookie0720

This is a HUGE assumption.

Not really....

The Skins last season were literally a play or a ref's bad call away from being, say, 8-8...and they were a Ramsey ill-thrown interception in the last 2 minutes, and a blown safety assignment in the last 30 seconds, of ending last season on a 5-0 run...

The defense was ranked #3, and while losing Smoot and Pierce, it's gaining the return of Arrington, Bowen, and possibly Barrow...not to mention whoever else they pick up in the draft.

The offense was absymal, true...but that was mostly because Brunell was the starter for nine games and the offensive line was average at best. But, Brunell is no longer the starter and the offensive line just got a HUGE upgrade by the aquisition of Rabach and the return of Jansen...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gibbs and his staff were feeling very optimistic that next year's 1st rounder would be no lower than, say, #20 (in other words, that they make the playoffs)...and with a few breaks maybe even a little higher.

Originally posted by Oldskool

Win/win taco.

Works for me... Like I say, I'm not here to be a troll... I just want to understand how this makes sense for you guys. The Redskins have been an enigma ever since Danny took over...

As far as the earlier criticism of us signing the entire Browns line, I'm quie satisfied with the deal. Most of them are just rotation and camp guys, and I like the Courtney Brown reclamation project. Add to the fact that Trevor Pryce is coming back, and I think we'll be pretty good up front. I would be suprised if we didn't finish in the top ten for another year in a row on defense...

Originally posted by Taco John

Works for me... Like I say, I'm not here to be a troll... I just want to understand how this makes sense for you guys. The Redskins have been an enigma ever since Danny took over...

Should have been around for the George Allen days. never met a draft pick he didn't want to trade. ;)

Originally posted by Oldskool

Look at it this way.

We pretty much traded mid 20's picks (yours this year and ours next year), add in a 3rd/4th that we are going to get from Gardner this year and its pretty much a wash.

We get 2 first round picks this year and now have the flexability to either plug up multiple holes this year or take a blue chip player.

Win/win taco.

BTW say hi to Falco for me :)

Forgot about the Gardner pick!

We will get another back say a 3rd perhaps?

Originally posted by NVskinsfan

Forgot about the Gardner pick!

We will get another back say a 3rd perhaps?

Possibly, unless the pick is packaged with Gardner for some player or another, ( Not original, but it does stir things up a bit ;) ).

Put it this way Taco.... .we've got a HOF coach who's contract indicates a five year deal. He wants to see marked improvement in the team this year... and two #1s this year is a way to either take an impact player, a couple of blue chippers, or a plethora of mid round guys that add crucial depth and could be starters of the future.

And as for your coach.... he hasn't won a damn thing since Elway retired and Davis was forced from the game. For Christ's sake... your starting QB is Jake Plummer and your running backs can't stay healthy.

And that's not to mention the corner you traded for last year who was burned on a consistent basis and was exposed as the "average" corner he's always been. Hey... when is the last time you saw Bailey make an impact play. Yeah...keep scratching your head... we can't remember it either.

and here I thought the goal was to trade Gardner and then try and stockpile some picks so we can bring in perhaps 7 or 8 players into camp for a change, instead of 2 or 3 as in recent seasons.

the odds favor the teams that have the most picks.

look at how many picks we ended up with in 1981 to make all those great selections.

The 1980's Redskins would never have been built without the mid round selections that turned into the Charles Manns, Dexter Manleys, Russ Grimms, etc......

Originally posted by bulldog

We can't keep stocking a roster of only high round picks.

These guys want big dollars when their rookie contracts are over.

I'm with YOU here... I am hoping this was done early to put all 30 other teams on notice that we are wheelin and dealin this year.

If one of the top guys slips to #9 we may be sittin pretty with offers and still get a decent WR or CB with #25, while hopefully picking up a 2nd to satisfy the other.

Like you said before I don';t like it right now, but Saturday could be a whole 'nother story!@!

Originally posted by Tarhog

Then again, you thought you were raping us when you got Champ Bailey too :)

I don't know what you're talking about... I thought it was win/win there... Bailey was awesome for us last year, save two high profile plays...

Originally posted by Cskin

And that's not to mention the corner you traded for last year who was burned on a consistent basis and was exposed as the "average" corner he's always been. Hey... when is the last time you saw Bailey make an impact play. Yeah...keep scratching your head... we can't remember it either.

Huh? Were is this "Bailey is an average CB" stuff coming from? They guy flat out performed for us last year and played some serious ball. There were games when they absolutely would NOT throw on the guy, and half the field was shut down. The guy was impact for us in just about every game of the season.

I don't know where this anti-Bailey noise is coming from, but Bailey was awesome for us last year, and we expect he'll be in the pro bowl again this next year too...

Archived