Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raiders reportedly REVOKE tag on Woodson

cfujskins

If he signed the 1 year deal then they can't revoke it, but if he didin't sign it then I think they can. They probably couldn't afford to give him that amount. What the franchised CB salary this year? I think its like 8 million for the year.

This is the best I can do since I'm not an insider:

"Oakland Raiders

CB Charles Woodson's $10.537 million tender is an expensive outlay for a cornerback in today's NFL, where rules favoring the passing game have conspired to prevent defensive backs from achieving greatness. Their hands have been tied and that has all but made the "shutdown corner" a thing of the past. Take Denver and Champ Bailey. Porter burned him for three touchdowns in a game this past season. And perhaps that is the reason the Raiders removed the exclusive franchise tag from Woodson's name Tuesday. By making him non-exclusive, they can trade him to another club if another club thinks he merits that kind of money. And if no club comes calling, the Raiders have ammunition to fire back at the Poston brothers and negotiate a long-term deal with him later this year. If the outside offer does come through, the Raiders can opt to match it or let him go and accept two first round draft picks instead. Either way, by removing the exclusive tag, the Raiders have all but said if they can finish No. 30 in the league on defense with Woodson, they can certainly do at least that well without him."

Originally posted by jrfriedm

If he signed the 1 year deal then they can't revoke it, but if he didin't sign it then I think they can. They probably couldn't afford to give him that amount. What the franchised CB salary this year? I think its like 8 million for the year.

10.5 I think

Originally posted by jrfriedm

Don't know what the generic number is for CBs.

Aparantly, Woodson's number was higher, because the rules say you not only have to offer him the "franchise" pay, it also has to be 20% larger than last year's pay.

The Raiders haven't REVOKED the franchise tag. All they have done is change Woodson's tag from exclusive to non-exclusive, so other teams can negotiate with him.

The Raiders don't want to cut him because they are still stuck for his cap hit. So they want to trade him now.

Woodson is still guaranteed $10.5 Mil and the Raiders are still stuck for that amount on their books. :)

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

The Raiders haven't REVOKED the franchise tag. All they have done is change Woodson's tag from exclusive to non-exclusive, so other teams can negotiate with him.

The Raiders don't want to cut him because they are still stuck for his cap hit. So they want to trade him now.

Woodson is still guaranteed $10.5 Mil and the Raiders are still stuck for that amount on their books. :)

Ahh, Ok. MY BAD folks. A little misunderstanding here:)

Originally posted by jimster

if I'm not mistaken they have not yet given Randy Moss a new contract, assuming he will get a new one.

I read where the Raiders are now asking the Vikings to re-do Randy Moss's $7+ million contract BEFORE the trade becomes official. I assume the Vikings will comply because they want to move Moss. So the trade of Moss may or may not be officially recorded on Wednesday, but later in the week.

Being that teams trade contracts and not players, a new Moss contract which reduces their cap hit, is what the Raiders want, being that Woodson fouled them up by signing his franchise tender. :)

Originally posted by cfujskins

the Raiders have all but said if they can finish No. 30 in the league on defense with Woodson, they can certainly do at least that well without him."

Well, you would think they would have thought that before the franchised him, what idiots

I agree, the Raiders are back-peddling now. I have to give Woodson and his agents credit for signing the contract. I don't what the Raiders were thinking. I would have cut him loose and sign someone like Rolle in FA to a long term contract. Woodson doesn't appear to want to be there.

Al Davis is greedy and can't see beyond the immediate gratification of a trade or signing. If he could he would have worked out the Woodson situation before moving into territory to take on the Moss contract.

The Raiders had a disastrous offseason strategy in 2004 of signing aging free agents to try and prop their team up. It blew up in their faces.

Warren Sapp is done. Ted Washington is done. Gannon is done. They just released Middleton and Stone, another pair of 30 somethings they paid money to just recently. Ray Buchanan is gone.

Originally posted by bulldog

Al Davis is greedy and can't see beyond the immediate gratification of a trade or signing. If he could he would have worked out the Woodson situation before moving into territory to take on the Moss contract.

The Raiders had a disastrous offseason strategy in 2004 of signing aging free agents to try and prop their team up. It blew up in their faces.

Warren Sapp is done. Ted Washington is done. Gannon is done. They just released Middleton and Stone, another pair of 30 somethings they paid money to just recently. Ray Buchanan is gone.

They released Stone too? I guess I missed that. They are hurting at guard now.

Archived