Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Gardener = gone?

Thinking Skins

As I've read through these threads over the past few days, there seems to be a general feeling here that we've already lost Gardener. I wonder what you all believe the chances are of him coming back?

I know people call him 50/50, but I think he is the perfect reason that we dont NEED a top WR. He is still developing as a WR, and can easily get better with his drops by just concentrating on the ball more. But there's a reason that he was picked in the first round, and he still can be developed into a really good WR. Once again, I look at the Wizards and Kwame Brown and you see how they are trying to teach him and let the team grow with him. I think that people are giving up on Gardener a little too soon.

People are going to bring up the fact that Gibbs allowed him to go find a trade. Well, that could be a thing similar to Coles but with less publicity. He could be another guy who didnt like the system and wanted to leave. That doesn't mean that he will leave though, all that needs to happen is he not get a good enough offer.

But I think that he is easily better than our other options for similar salaries. So I'd be in favor of keeping BOTH Coles and Gardener and signing a veteran guy to come in here and serve as a leader in the locker room.

He asked to seek a trade and the team said okay. Have a nice day. My feeling they wanted to jettison him anyway. That and Gibbs in recent interviews about the receiver left on the team lead one to believe that Joe's convinced he's gone too.

Gibbs' isn't going to employ a receiver that he can't count on. Gardner is simply a blockhead.... incapable of the mental toughness and discipline needed to be a top tier receiver. His lack of concentration and focus is exhibited each week... with wrong routes run.... dropping of catchable balls..... and false start and holding penalties. It's been three years of the same... it's time to punt.

Move on... visions of Gardner being Terrell Owens couldn't be farther from reality. He's David Terrell of the Bears.. just with slightly better numbers.

I would rather keep him then trade him for anything less tha a real high third rounder. He is easily worth a second. I think I change of scenary will be great for him. He can leave the stupid 50/50 nickname in Washington.

Rod dropped 9 balls this year (officilay). He caught 51. Now tell me againn how that nickname works?

Parties during the week probably didn't help.

Hey, the guy got a little bit of a bum rap thanks to his nickname. But the bottom line is that he lost concentration too often, and that doesn't fly in this offense. He would have one high quality game, followed by three or four mediocre (at best) games.

Trading him now potentially gives us some value, since he's got a year left on his contract (I think). Plus, it makes sense to try to fill his shoes in year two of Gibbs Deux, preferably with someone who shows up with his head on straight every game. Better than filling a #2 WR hole for nothing in Year Three.

We can do better. May as well do it now.

Gardner has been fairly consistent with his receiving numbers over the first four years of his career, 227 catches for 2,997 yards for averages of 56 catches and 750 yards, not bad numbers for a number two or three receiver....he has played in 61 of the 64 games, so has been relatively healthy as well....his contract is very affordable right now. The problem is his numbers although consistent for him, is not consistent for someone that was picked in the first round and expected to be a big-time receiver in the NFL. Expectations have been high for him and he hasn't lived up to it. If we can continue to keep at an affordable rate, then I am all for it. If he really wants to leave, then let his agent find a team that wants him and work out a trade.

Originally posted by ntotoro

Drops too many balls, does a light jog when he's running a route where he isn't the primary receiver and is a poor blocker. He's gone and not a moment too soon.

Nick

Yeah, he's like Randy Moss without the talent...

Him wanting to leave is not a concern of mine. His concentration is. But that can be worked on! Its not like he has an inury problem which can just show up at any time. Nor does he have character flaws that make him a person that fans fon't want on their team.

I think his main problem was not knowing the offense, which led to him being a lot more questionable in his routes and his actions on the field. But just like back in December when I was telling everybody that the offense isn't bad, its just complicated, I dont think that Gardener is a bad player, he just needs time to learn the offense.

If he showed me some character flaws or problems with practicing too softly or taking plays off, then we'd have a problem and I'd want him gone. That's not what I've seen though, and so I think that the problems that people are stating about him are mediocre.

Originally posted by blakman211

As I've read through these threads over the past few days, there seems to be a general feeling here that we've already lost Gardener. I wonder what you all believe the chances are of him coming back?

I know people call him 50/50, but I think he is the perfect reason that we dont NEED a top WR. He is still developing as a WR, and can easily get better with his drops by just concentrating on the ball more. But there's a reason that he was picked in the first round, and he still can be developed into a really good WR. Once again, I look at the Wizards and Kwame Brown and you see how they are trying to teach him and let the team grow with him. I think that people are giving up on Gardener a little too soon.

People are going to bring up the fact that Gibbs allowed him to go find a trade. Well, that could be a thing similar to Coles but with less publicity. He could be another guy who didnt like the system and wanted to leave. That doesn't mean that he will leave though, all that needs to happen is he not get a good enough offer.

But I think that he is easily better than our other options for similar salaries. So I'd be in favor of keeping BOTH Coles and Gardener and signing a veteran guy to come in here and serve as a leader in the locker room.

How long does it take a receiver to develop? and BTW, Rod has developed, he's developed into a unreliable waste of a first rd. pick..if it was me id call him 30/70..

oh...and lets look at some other 1st. rd. picks that just needed to "develop"

Michael Westbrook, Freddie Mitchell, Bryant Johnson, Todd Pinkston, David Terrell...all great players that just need to or needed to "develop":rolleyes:

Originally posted by REDSKINS STOMP

Rumors are that we already have a deal in place with Tampa.

That may be so but it can't get done until the 2nd when TB has to clear the cap space to fit him. Currently they are still way over and have players such as Brad Johnson to cut still before the 2nd.

Originally posted by TheREALJBird

How long does it take a receiver to develop? and BTW, Rod has developed, he's developed into a unreliable waste of a first rd. pick..if it was me id call him 30/70..

oh...and lets look at some other 1st. rd. picks that just needed to "develop"

Michael Westbrook, Freddie Mitchell, Bryant Johnson, Todd Pinkston, David Terrell...all great players that just need to or needed to "develop":rolleyes:

51 catches, 9 drops. Maybe you shouldn't have skipped all those math classes. You did alright though. I'd call your post 15/85. 15% ok, 85% BS

Originally posted by Sebowski

I would rather keep him then trade him for anything less tha a real high third rounder. He is easily worth a second. I think I change of scenary will be great for him. He can leave the stupid 50/50 nickname in Washington.

Rod dropped 9 balls this year (officilay). He caught 51. Now tell me againn how that nickname works?

Those 9 passes he dropped I could of caught with one hand tied behind my back with olive oil soaked all over my catching hand and body. He drops to many easy passes when we need em the most. As for the 51 catches.........well he would have more if he worked harder at getting open but then again he would have more drops if he was open. I wonder if the Jets would trade him for Moss.

Archived