Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com - Nastybelly: Jets-Redskins Receiver Trade Talks Grounded

redskns21

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2000733

Updated: Feb. 26, 2005, 7:35 PM ET

Jets back away after hearing Coles' demands

By Len Nastybelly, ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- Although Redskins officials were trying on Saturday evening to resuscitate the deal, a proposed trade between Washington and the New York Jets, in which the teams would have swapped their top wide receivers, appears dead.

The Jets backed away from the deal on Saturday morning when the representatives for Laveranues Coles apprised New York officials over breakfast that their client would likely want to upgrade his contract if traded. The Jets were eager to re-acquire Coles, who began his career in New York, in exchange for wide receiver Santana Moss.

The Jets wanted Coles under the remaining terms of the seven-year, $35 million contract that he signed with Washington in 2002. Told that Coles might not report to training camp if he was traded and did not receive a new contract, the Jets opted to end their pursuit.

There are no further discussions scheduled, and a source involved in the trade talks said Saturday evening that it is "highly unlikely" that the Redskins will succeed in reviving the negotiations. Under terms of the original trade proposal, the two wide receivers were the only components in what would have been a rare player-for-player deal.

A team source said Saturday that he anticipates the Redskins will now seek another trade partner. The Baltimore Ravens are rumored to have interest in Coles, who all along contended that he preferred to be released, rather than traded.

As reported on Friday by ESPN.com, there were some hurdles that had to be cleared for the Washington-New York trade. Foremost among them, as reported Thursday by ESPN.com, is that the Redskins had to first create salary cap room to absorb the hit they would take in a Coles trade.

To do that, the Redskins would have needed to complete a contract extension with left offensive tackle Chris Samuels. Ironically, the Redskins are closer to a Samuels extension. Agent Jimmy Sexton and Washington negotiated Saturday, and the sense is that momentum is toward a new contract, one that might reward Samuels with the highest signing bonus in Redskins history.

Completing an extension with Samuels now, however, is totally unrelated to any other trade the Redskins might have in the works.

Officials from both the Jets and Redskins were said to be disappointed by the collapse of the wide receiver swap.

New York clearly felt that Coles is the better receiver of the two. The Jets did not want to let Coles escape to Washington in 2002, but terms of the restricted free agent offer sheet to which the Redskins signed him, which included a $13 million signing bonus, were too prohibitive to match.

Washington, which decided it was better to relocate Coles, who has complained about the lack of verticality in the Redskins defense, coveted Moss' explosiveness.

Moss, 25, was the Jets' first-round choice in the 2001 draft, and the former Miami (Fla.) star has been a productive playmaker when healthy. There have been times, however, when Moss has missed time with hamstring and knee injuries. In four seasons, he had 29 starts in 51 appearances, with 151 receptions for 2,416 yards and 19 touchdowns. His best season came in 2003, when he posted 74 catches, 1,105 yards and nine scores.

He is entering the final year of his original rookie contract and is scheduled to earn a base salary of $448,000 in 2005. Washington would definitely have sought an extension with Moss before completing any deal for him. In fact, the Jets suspect that the Redskins had already agreed quietly to an extension. Since the Jets had not granted permission for the Redskins to speak with Moss' agent about an extension, there are rumblings that New York is considering filing anti-tampering charges against Washington.

" Agent Jimmy Sexton and Washington negotiated Saturday, and the sense is that momentum is toward a new contract, one that might reward Samuels with the highest signing bonus in Redskins history. "

Please tell me we will not give Samuels the highest signing bonus in the history of the skins...

God please give us a real GM and rid us of Cerrato. Charley Casserly please come back....Ron Wolf?...Beatherd..This is just getting from bad to worse.

Originally posted by chet06

" Agent Jimmy Sexton and Washington negotiated Saturday, and the sense is that momentum is toward a new contract, one that might reward Samuels with the highest signing bonus in Redskins history. "

Please tell me we will not give Samuels the highest signing bonus in the history of the skins...

God please give us a real GM and rid us of Cerrato. Charley Casserly please come back....Ron Wolf?...Beatherd..This is just getting from bad to worse.

I don't think their that crazy they didn't even do it for arringon so I dobt they would to it for samuels

Originally posted by Canadian Hog

:rolleyes:

Len,

Those rumblings your are hearing are from your stomach....

No doubt, makes me wonder if we'll do the same to the Jets since they must have been tampering to know that Coles might sit out. I mean they heard it over breakfast with his representatives.

As it relates to that statement, I can't help but think that he may have been trying to recoup a forfeited bonus. Either that, or he is really a greedy ****.

i sure was thinking the exact same thing.....

awful. typical of our FO.

save money now. pay like hell later.

(i'm assuming this will be a heavily backloaded contract)

I would think if Samuels gets the biggest bonus in Skins history it'll be in significant part b/c he already has so much guaranteed money (that was a big part in Arrington's contract extension, also). In other words, to figure out what the "real" bonus is, you have to factor in the remaining guaranteed money on his current contract, which would spill over into (and inflate) any extension.

This is scary, scary stuff.

I'm afraid we'll overpay for Samuels. I'm afraid that we would have been happy to dedicate over 10% of our '05 cap to a player no longer on the roster. I'm afraid that we would take Moss and pay him 11-13m to sign rather than gunning for a late first/early second round pick that could be signed cheaply.

In some ways Coles is doing the Redskins a favor by demanding a new contract, and thus making a trade very difficult. Assuming the give back deal is still on the table, this scenario would be far better than any trade that would reqquire the absorption of the LC's full 9m SB allocation. Simply keeping Coles being the first best scenario, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

I'm thrilled that this trade has fallen, through, but scared to death that the FO feels it would have been a good option.

What is CRYSTAL clear to me, after a year of denial is that Snyder/Ceratto/Gibbs simply do not grasp the concept that the only way to succeed in the salary cap era NFL is to find "value" players. The best way to do this is through the draft. Think for a moment about the two Chris Cooley type players we would have been able to select if we had simply held onto the picks we trade for Portis/Brunell and simply stuck w/ Ramsey & Betts.

In some ways, the only way that things will get better is if the team literally falls off a cliff this year. Not that I'm rooting for it, but it may take an offseason of big moves, followed by a two win season to change things. Even then, I wonder if any substantial changes to the team's approach will be made.

To illustrate how horrendous this Coles move is, ask yousef the question of what happens in the event a guy like Sean Taylor, or Portis want's out next year? Are we going to make a practice of eating 10m cap charges to let our "core" players walk?

If you don't think Coles should stay, think about the fact that he was hapy to return to the Jets after that debacle. Point being, that Coles may be unhappy now, but if things pick up next year, and the offense starts clicking, this could change quickly...

I'd be clamoring for a GM, but at the end of the day, there isn't anyone on the planet that would be able to work for Snyder/Gibbs.

UGH!!!

"

Cerrato has absolutley nothing to do with contract negotiations. If you have a problem, it's with Snyder and Gibbs. Snyder and his salary cap experts are the ones who negotiate the contracts and Gibbs gives the final okay on whether or not to do it.

And yes please bring back Charlie Casserly so we can have more of:

Bobby Wilson

Desmond Howard

Tom Carter

Heath Shuler

Michael Westbrook

Sean Gilbert

Andre Johnson

Kenard Lang

Greg Jones

Dana Stubblefield

Dan Wilkinson

etc etc etc:rolleyes:

Originally posted by scruffylookin

Cerrato has absolutley nothing to do with contract negotiations. If you have a problem, it's with Snyder and Gibbs. Snyder and his salary cap experts are the ones who negotiate the contracts and Gibbs gives the final okay on whether or not to do it.

And yes please bring back Charlie Casserly so we can have more of:

Bobby Wilson

Desmond Howard

Tom Carter

Heath Shuler

Michael Westbrook

Sean Gilbert

Andre Johnson

Kenard Lang

Greg Jones

Dana Stubblefield

Dan Wilkinson

etc etc etc:rolleyes:

Cerrato I guess just watches with his finger up his nose..

Remind me again who drafted and traded for the following:

Stephen Davis

Wilber Marshal

Fred Stokes

Brad Johnson - (only QB to take us to the playoffs in the last 13 years)

Jon Jansen

Brian Mitchell

Kenard Lang (we should have traded him...jeez

Champ Bailey and 3 1st round picks in 2000...I guess that is how we got Lavar Arringto and oh year Samuels with the 2nd and 3rd overall pick..

Relax guys we already still owe samuels from his current contract ($5mil I think) He would like that money in the form of bonus because it was part of his original contract. Subtract the $5mil from say a 14 or 15 mil bonus and its the largest ever but it still contains the money we owed him anyway.

I'm not saying he's worth that but the inflated number might mean more to others than it does to me. With that inflated number he can have respect in the league cause we all know the $ is the only thing that matters anymore.

Why are rich owners so damn dumb? This should serve as a lesson on what not to gamble on. The human element is something so unpredictable. Giving big bucks to players hoping they will be loyal appears futile. They soon catch an attitude and BAM! they blowup your cap.

Coach Gibbs is right as rain. I'll take character guys that want to be Redskins over big name talent out for money any day of the week.

Coach Gibbs has been making the best of the hand he was dealt when he got here. The owner is all about money and so are the many players that he has bought. Birds of a feather.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by barry wilburn

This is scary, scary stuff.

I'm afraid we'll overpay for Samuels. I'm afraid that we would have been happy to dedicate over 10% of our '05 cap to a player no longer on the roster. I'm afraid that we would take Moss and pay him 11-13m to sign rather than gunning for a late first/early second round pick that could be signed cheaply.

In some ways Coles is doing the Redskins a favor by demanding a new contract, and thus making a trade very difficult. Assuming the give back deal is still on the table, this scenario would be far better than any trade that would reqquire the absorption of the LC's full 9m SB allocation. Simply keeping Coles being the first best scenario, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

I'm thrilled that this trade has fallen, through, but scared to death that the FO feels it would have been a good option.

What is CRYSTAL clear to me, after a year of denial is that Snyder/Ceratto/Gibbs simply do not grasp the concept that the only way to succeed in the salary cap era NFL is to find "value" players. The best way to do this is through the draft. Think for a moment about the two Chris Cooley type players we would have been able to select if we had simply held onto the picks we trade for Portis/Brunell and simply stuck w/ Ramsey & Betts.

In some ways, the only way that things will get better is if the team literally falls off a cliff this year. Not that I'm rooting for it, but it may take an offseason of big moves, followed by a two win season to change things. Even then, I wonder if any substantial changes to the team's approach will be made.

To illustrate how horrendous this Coles move is, ask yousef the question of what happens in the event a guy like Sean Taylor, or Portis want's out next year? Are we going to make a practice of eating 10m cap charges to let our "core" players walk?

If you don't think Coles should stay, think about the fact that he was hapy to return to the Jets after that debacle. Point being, that Coles may be unhappy now, but if things pick up next year, and the offense starts clicking, this could change quickly...

I'd be clamoring for a GM, but at the end of the day, there isn't anyone on the planet that would be able to work for Snyder/Gibbs.

UGH!!!

I agree. Coles is doing us a massive favor by killing the Moss trade.

Something is very, very wrong in our front office.

A poster in a different thread said he would trade Coles to the Ravens for Ozzie Newsome. If Snyder agreed to give Oz real and true control, I'd throw in the ninth overall pick.

Archived