Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill sets fine for low-riding pants

TK

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/18288.html

RICHMOND (AP)

Virginians who wear their pants so low their underwear shows may want to think about investing in a stronger belt.

The state's House of Delegates passed a bill Tuesday authorizing a $50 fine for anyone who displays his or her underpants in a "lewd or indecent manner."

Del. Lionell Spruill Sr., a Democrat who opposed the bill, had pleaded with his colleagues to remember their own youthful fashion follies.

During an extended monologue Monday, he talked about how they dressed or wore their hair in their teens. On Tuesday, he

said the measure was an unconstitutional attack on young blacks that would force parents to take off work to accompany their children to court just for making a fashion statement.

"This is a foolish bill, Mr. Speaker, because it will hurt so many," Spruill said before the measure was approved 60-34. It now goes to the state Senate.

The bill's sponsor, Del. Algie T. Howell, has said constituents were offended by the exposed underwear. He did not speak on the floor Tuesday.

Spruill and Howell, also a Democrat, are both black.

God bless the Old Dominion.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050208%2F2132456932.htm

Va. Bill Sets Fine for Low-Riding Pants

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Virginians who wear their pants so low their underwear shows may want to think about investing in a stronger belt.

The state's House of Delegates passed a bill Tuesday authorizing a $50 fine for anyone who displays his or her underpants in a ``lewd or indecent manner.''

Del. Lionell Spruill Sr., a Democrat who opposed the bill, had pleaded with his colleagues to remember their own youthful fashion follies.

During an extended monologue Monday, he talked about how they dressed or wore their hair in their teens. On Tuesday, he said the measure was an unconstitutional attack on young blacks that would force parents to take off work to accompany their children to court just for making a fashion statement.

``This is a foolish bill, Mr. Speaker, because it will hurt so many,'' Spruill said before the measure was approved 60-34. It now goes to the state Senate.

The bill's sponsor, Del. Algie T. Howell, has said constituents were offended by the exposed underwear. He did not speak on the floor Tuesday.

Spruill and Howell, also a Democrat, are both black.

02/08/05 21:32

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

I honestley can't believe this.

I mean, I too think it's completley idiotic to walk around with your pants falling down, that's my opinion. But a fine..........c'mon people.

Just start making fun of everyone who wears their pants like that, and eventually they'll feel as stupid as they look, and stop doing it.

Shouldn't this go to the tailgate?

I honestly don't see how it's an attack on us young blacks. I mean, the people I've seen wearing low rise jeans, that show "ass cleavage", are young white girls. Being a male, I don't think you'd ever catch me wearing something like that. Now I do wear baggy jeans at times, and my underwear show, but my shirt usually covers that, and if you're a guy, and you wear baggy jeans and your underwear show you need to know you're wearing a halter top and you should be arrested.

What people don't seem to understand is it's not about "pulling your pants up" most of the time. Pants are cut different then they used to be. I apologize to the older folks who support this new law, but I've seen what you people looked like with your pants starting right around your ribcage. Men looked like they were made up of 80% legs with little torsos on top. There should be a law against that, it makes the country look bad.

Originally posted by Destino

Men looked like they were made up of 80% legs with little torsos on top. There should be a law against that, it makes the country look bad.

i just visualized me wearin my pants like that, and i immediately hit my head on the computer monitor, haha:laugh:

Originally posted by Destino

What people don't seem to understand is it's not about "pulling your pants up" most of the time. Pants are cut different then they used to be. I apologize to the older folks who support this new law, but I've seen what you people looked like with your pants starting right around your ribcage. Men looked like they were made up of 80% legs with little torsos on top. There should be a law against that, it makes the country look bad.

Destino,

I was half joking! (you can guess about which half...) I don't think that pants are cut so low that they don't cover any portion of one's behind anymore. In fact, I suspect that if you pulled some of these pants up as much as you could, you would cover the ribcage, and more!!! (joking again, sorry, I'm not in a serious mood today!)

Archived